Vertical Bow Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Vertical Bow Hunt

Post by XB I GO »

My brother has the Axiom and I am still messing with my M380 so I was not ready when my Uncle Richard said there were some Axis deer coming into his pasture. I took my vertical bow out and shot 35 shots over the course of the day, spacing them out so each one was as good as I could get it. I made sure I didn't get tired or sore and I concentrated until I could hit the bullseye every time.

When we got to the place I was dropped off in a little stand off the ground. I saw a hog and I tried to text my Dad and Uncle Richard to see if I was allowed to shoot it. They must have been busy goofing off somewhere because when I finally got the text back to "go ahead" the pig had been gone for 10 minutes already.

After a couple of hours a saw some red in the bushes. Axis deer came out on the other side of a little clearing and walked around a little. They were out of range for me and my bow. The last one was a buck that chased all the others away. It got hot and quiet. I called Dad to get me.

After lunch and some shooting I was ready to go back out again. Uncle Richard said he saw some Axis by a windmill when he drove into town right before lunch. We decided I should sit behind the windmill and try to get one from there. Right as I was getting out of the truck Uncle Richard's phone rang. It was his neighbor and he said the goats were back again. Richard asked where and the neighbor said headed your way along the front fence. When Uncle Richard hung up he told me there had been two big goats wandering around for the past week and they were eating everything and did some damage. He told me the fence ended and then there was a little dirt road that led to the windmill. He said if I didn't see any Axis or if I didn't want to wait for an Axis the goats would probably be nearby in about 20 minutes based on where they were last and if they kept coming.

I got in the windmill and started using the rangefinder to see how far things were. I noticed the Axis deer. After standing in the corner of the fence a long way off they ran across the street. I started looking around to see if there were others. After a little while a puff of wind came from my right and something stunk. I turned my head and wondered if a cow was nearby. Suddenly I saw some movement and there were the two goats, eating along the dirt road headed my way. A big tan one would hang back and then run up to the black and white one and they both would run a little bit. This repeated several times. I kind of wanted the tan one because it was a little bigger. The last stop was probably 50 yards away and like before the black and white one wandered off and the tan one run up to it and they both ran towards me.

Eventually, the black and white one was in front of me at 20 yards while the tan one was about 20 more yard behind. I was waiting on the tan one and I realized if he ran up to the black and white one and they both moved ahead together like they were doing they would both be out of range for me. So....I drew back and put the pin on the black and white one and let the arrow go.

There was a loud whack when the arrow hit and the goat started to trot away. After a few steps I saw the arrow fall out of the exit side. The goat went less than 20 yards down the trail and fell over. He didn't even kick or anything. Just fell over and stayed still.

I called Uncle RIchard and he got Dad and came with the truck. Dad was hoping for an Axis deer so we could have something good to eat but I told him they crossed the street. Uncle Richard said that based on the eyes of this goat it is an Ibex cross of some sort. Boy did he stink! We gave the meat to some coyote trappers and I kept the cape and horns. I might try to mount it myself this spring break.

I hope the Whitetails cooperate more than the Axis did!

gerald strine

Re: Vertical Bow Hunt

Post by gerald strine »

Nicely done congrats on your goat !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Very nice, congrats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations XB!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Nice job XB :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Nice job xb thats a small target also!.......YOU SMOKED HIM real BAAAHD .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Looks like your shooting a BEAR verticle. Nice shot!
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the goat!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on the billy young man :thumbup: :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Nice shooten,congrats.
W.M.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Nicely done young man! Congratulations! :thumbup:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

:thumbup:
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
SALTYDOG