String Jumping Research

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

String Jumping Research

Post by nchunterkw »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWXWUBWSszk

A bit long but a really good watch. LOTS of very good info here.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hi5

Re: String Jumping Research

Post by Hi5 »

Wow! Wow! Is that ever interesting!

Thanks for sharing!

Like the saying goes. "speed kills". I really hadn't planned to part with my Matrix 405, anyway, but that seals the deal.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Very good info here.
Anyone considering a shot on a deer at long ranges should really watch this. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
SEW

Post by SEW »

I know I’m going against current belief and what’s “politically correct”.

I think much of what we saw in this and many other “string jumping” videos is exactly what we shouldn’t do.
Don’t alert a deer.
Don’t shoot at a deer that is looking at you.
Whenever possible, don’t shoot at a deer with a ear flex’d in your direction, especially if it’s head down.
Be aware that when deer first enter a food plot, they’re on high alert. This diminishes with time and goes way down by last light.
Try to never shoot at a deer that is looking your way, especially if alert.
DON’T THINK THAT DEER WILL REACT TO A DISTANT XBOW SOUND(50-60+ yards) THE SAME WAY THEY WILL TO A CLOSER SOUND. THEY WON’T, THEY’Ll FREEZE IN PLACE.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Yep, good info, but as stated, the only way to get a deer to do a complete barrel roll is to shoot at it while it's staring at you.

I think the testing is solid, but the video certainly tried to ramp up the "concern". Far be it from me to say the young fella made a bad shot. But it looked a little set up to me for the purpose of the video. And the 200 sponsors mentioned
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
WNYBILL

Post by WNYBILL »

Great information! I swear my deer that have jumped the string (2), actually jumped! But none of the deer in the video jumped, they all dropped and rolled. The video shows that It happens so fast, the shooter will never see what actually happened, what with excitement and recoil (bow reaction). I am going to try to contact the film maker to ask if ANY of the deer that have been filmed actually jumped rather than dropped and rolled.

This study certainly points out what happens as the range increases.

Bill
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

WNYBILL wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:41 am
Great information! I swear my deer that have jumped the string (2), actually jumped! But none of the deer in the video jumped, they all dropped and rolled. The video shows that It happens so fast, the shooter will never see what actually happened, what with excitement and recoil (bow reaction). I am going to try to contact the film maker to ask if ANY of the deer that have been filmed actually jumped rather than dropped and rolled.

Bill
Bill even if a deer would jump, they would first have to drop to "load" their muscles so they could jump.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

SEW wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 am
I know I’m going against current belief and what’s “politically correct”.

I think much of what we saw in this and many other “string jumping” videos is exactly what we shouldn’t do.
Don’t alert a deer.
Don’t shoot at a deer that is looking at you.
Whenever possible, don’t shoot at a deer with a ear flex’d in your direction, especially if it’s head down.
Be aware that when deer first enter a food plot, they’re on high alert. This diminishes with time and goes way down by last light.
Try to never shoot at a deer that is looking your way, especially if alert.
DON’T THINK THAT DEER WILL REACT TO A DISTANT XBOW SOUND(50-60+ yards) THE SAME WAY THEY WILL TO A CLOSER SOUND. THEY WON’T, THEY’Ll FREEZE IN PLACE.

Where I hunt I am pretty much hunting pretty highly pressured deer. They are always on alert whether they know I am there or not. My biggest take away from this video was that a deer with it's head down seems to be able to duck a bit lower and a bit faster than one with it's head up. Makes sense as it is using its head as a lever. I shot one Saturday at about 27yds and spined it. I didn't see it, but I think it tried to duck and that is why I hit about 2" higher than intended. Perhaps a good train of thought woudl be:

Out to 20 - 25yds, use your 20yd site and aim at the lungs (50% up the body, behind shoulder). They can't react fast enough to a 300fps+ arrow at that distance

25 - 30yds, use your 20yd site and aim at the lungs. If he ducks, perfect you drill him in the lungs. If not you should drill him in the heart. Or use your 30yd site , but aim at the heart.

I think at 40 and beyond they react more to the sound of the arrow than to that of the bow as SEW said above. So I think they might duck some but not the crazy barrel roll action like we saw in the video.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

WNYBILL wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:41 am

Bill
In order for a deer or you to jump you first have to drop or bend your knees so you can push off you can not jump standing straight up with out dropping first, the best you could do is bob up on your toes.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I shot 3d courses for years and always thought the bull at the center lung was not doing any one any favors it should be the heart area we aim at.
if the deer drops we still have a good hit if it does not that is cool also if we short guess yardage then we get a clean miss or the deer drops into it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
venison

Post by venison »

That’s not all true I’ve shot numerous deer at 40 to 70 yds yeah they jumped after my bolt or arrow went threw them ..I believe at further distance they are less nervous is my opinion I’m sure we all have shot deer with a gun and miss they stand there looking around wondering where the hell the shot came from..I’m not saying they don’t jump the string I’ve had no issues with them jumping my string must be lucky happy slaying not changing my way of hunting meat potatoes please Thank you Excalibur for killing machine 380 out
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I'll respectfully disagree with you. This is all true. If you watched and listened to what they had to say, they very clearly said "not all deer jump the string, but we dont know which ones will and won't" Just because you killed a deer at 50 yds with your bow doesn't mean it didn't react. Maybe your range estimation was off by 5 yds and your arrow was actually flying towards it's heart and it ducked right into it. Who knows. They react so fast that you can't see it unless you use a slow-mo camera. Also, Arrows are very noisy in flight and if a deer doesn't react to the shot noise, they certainly will react to the arrow noise, but I think typically it is way too late by then. But if you watch any footage, you never see a deer stand absolutely still until the arrow hits. You will see some stand still until the arrow is close and then they just start moving but it's far to late and they do not get to move too much. Those deer hear the arrow. But it's the last thing they hear. But as I said earlier, I do agree that deer out at 50yds or so do not react to noise the same way a deer at 30 does.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
WNYBILL

Post by WNYBILL »

The video showes how fast they are. With the excitement and bow reaction (recoil) there is no way you can tell what really hpppened when you shoot, the deer moves so fast. It is hard enough to know exactly where they were standing.

Bill