POA difference of 25 grains

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

whoay

POA difference of 25 grains

Post by whoay »

So here's my dilemma my hunting pack is at my hunting camp and I leave the quiver attached to it.. And I ordered a qaurdian ADF for my 350 if I were to do a quick sight in at home with 400 grain diablos i should be close enough to tweak it in with my "normal bolts" which are 425 grain before I head out to the stand when I arrive Fri afternoon? Thanks for replies in advanced...
xcaliber

Re: POA difference of 25 grains

Post by xcaliber »

I found that switching from 100 grain heads to 125 grain yielded .25" lower at 30 yards, .38" at 40 yards, and .62" at 50 yards. I was shooting a Matrix 355 with 406 grains, and 431 grains from a rest.

Good luck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
whoay

Post by whoay »

Thanks I'll get it close then tweak with the heavier bolts I hunt with...
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I thin you will be fine to do what you want. You will be close with your diablos, but don't be surprised if your other arrows hit higher or lower. Unless they are the same and the only difference is the BH. You need to consider the FOC of the 2 arrows as that has a large impact on trajectory.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
whoay

Post by whoay »

so it will make a difference if the "normal arrows i shoot are 20" easton bloodline with lumenock with 100gr tips and the diablos are 18" with 150 grain tips but are only 25 toatl weight grains different?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

As said FOC change will impact POI. My testing was only changing points.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I have a M380. It is dialed in with 150's. When I tried 125's there was no difference at all at 20 yards, and only a 1/2" at 30 yards. Can't say what your bow will do.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

whoay wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:11 am
so it will make a difference if the "normal arrows i shoot are 20" easton bloodline with lumenock with 100gr tips and the diablos are 18" with 150 grain tips but are only 25 toatl weight grains different?
Exactly, but I think you can still get it close with the 18" diablos. Those arrows are very different. The Easton Bloodline Crossbow arrow has a GPI of 10.5, while the DIablos will be lower i think. So much depends on what inserts are used etc. Lumenoks in the back add 28gr to the back end which will hurt FOC, and that head is on the light side IMO. From what I can tell, you have something on the order of a 60-70 gr insert. My guess is a DIablo with a 150gr point will have more FOC than the other setup.

You will do best to use a very stiff arrow with a high FOC (around 15% - 20%). The diablos are not that stiff. Not sure on the bloodline but at 10.5 GPI I bet a bit stiffer. Many here use Black Eagle Zombie SLayers with 110gr brass inserts, which allows the use of 100gr or 125gr BHs and Lumenoks, yet still gives good FOC to keep the accuracy. Good Luck!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
whoay

Post by whoay »

Thanks just checked tracking and adf wont be here till Friday so I guess I'm just shooting it in when I get to camp with my normal bolts.. thanks everyone for your input never can learn enough...