Down River Deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Down River Deer

Post by ko4nrbs »

Heading down river this week to deer hunt. Killed 3 there last year, spike, button buck and a nice doe. Been supplying deer meat for 3 different family's so I hope I get into them again.

Using the climbing tree stand and my trusty Exomax. No place to camp so I sleep in my boat. It's only about 40 yards or so from the tree I sit in. It's not as bad as it sounds but until I get dressed in the mornings it is cold. Morning lows supposed to be in the low to mid 40's with daily highs in the low to mid 60's. I will tie off in a creek about 100 yards or so from where it joins the river. It's right off the main river/navigation canal. Too much tree debris and Barge traffic to navigate it in the dark so I just camp in the boat to avoid the danger. Passing a barge in the dark on this river would spooky!!

I guess I should devise some type of temporary cover or shelter for the boat but never seem to get around to it. As it is now I tie off alongside a high bank that keeps me well below the deer's line of sight so adding height to the boat would enable to deer to see me. It is a chore climbing out of the boat and up the bank every morning but a small price to pay for such an excellent hunting spot.

My four daughters think I am crazy and have tried to talk me out of it but I intend to carry on as long as I can.

I was wondering how many of you have to really rough it to hunt your spots? The subdivision I hunt most of the time is a luxury hotel compared to hunting down river. Love my Doghouse blind and little propane heater!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
retrieverman

Re: Down River Deer

Post by retrieverman »

Good luck!

I’m planning to make it up to my place NW OK next weekend and assess the damage after the flood last week, and I hope to get to do a little hunting while I’m there.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I hunt a large tidal swamp .l can walk to my spot but sometimes after shooting one they run to the deepest of darkest muddy thick places.Thats why a dead ringer super freak is in my quiver this year......because you don't want them to cross the creek!!!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

In my younger days i had a stand on a hogsback in the middle of a large swamp. i wore waders going in & out and tied my sorels around my neck. despite the great sign on that little hump i never shot a buck there but after hauling the second doe thru the swamp i never went back! now there are wheeler trails to walk on that run right to most of my posts and if i discipline myself to take only the "money shots" the drags to a trail aren't bad at all. a concession to age but one that leads to more ethical kills.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Sounds like you have an interesting hunting set up I hope you have a great hunt, always kind of fun getting boats in the mix !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Spent all morning getting my hunting gear together for the Down River hunt. I learned the hard way to put everything in plastic totes and then label what's inside. Before I started doing that it was hard to remember where I had stashed everything the year before. Glad I figured it out!!

Perfect weather for the hunt and will head down river Thursday morning after it warms up a little. Offered to take one of my brother's who complains all the time about not having a good place to hunt but no sleeping in the boat for him.

I'll update how it went when I get back.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35