Firebolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

StevenR65

Firebolts

Post by StevenR65 »

Hi everyone.

I am getting frustrated here. I have the fire bolts for my Ibex. Min is 305 gn. The problem that is frustrating is I sight the bow in using 100 grain field points. I put on the broad heads that I want to use and they do not come close to point of aim I have to readjust the scope settings. I try different broad 100gn heads with the 100gn field points and I try the same with my 125 gr. field points with matching grn broad heads. The firebolts are 270gn. The bare minimum that is required is 305grn. Should I try different bolts? Like eastons or carbon express? or is it actually the broad heads and I have to get a few more of the same broad heads and use a couple for practice? any suggestions? I have replaced the string with Excal string that is suppose to be better a little faster? I keep the factory string on hand for emergencies. Are there broad heads that shoot the same as field points? what is your experience preference?
ldock

Re: Firebolts

Post by ldock »

Minimum for excaliber is 350 grains not 305. I would just sight in for broad heads and forget trying to get both to shoot together. Makes life and crossbow hunting a lot simpler. Just my .02 cents not telling you to do anything you aren't comfortable with. It's your bow and arrows shoot what and how you feel comfortable.

Post by newbie »

I never expect broadheads to shoot POA as field tips. You either sight it in for one or the other.
Yes buy extra heads or replacement blades etc and you owe it to your quarry to test before shooting at a live animal.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

newbie wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:03 pm
I never expect broadheads to shoot POA as field tips. You either sight it in for one or the other.
Yes buy extra heads or replacement blades etc and you owe it to your quarry to test before shooting at a live animal.
Ayuuup.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

First question would be what broadhead are you trying to use and second would be are the heads aligned perfectly with the shafts (no wobble when performing a spin test) ?
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
StevenR65

Post by StevenR65 »

Bcxbow wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:24 pm
First question would be what broadhead are you trying to use and second would be are the heads aligned perfectly with the shafts (no wobble when performing a spin test) ?
Yes spin test. and no wobble.
StevenR65

Post by StevenR65 »

newbie wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:03 pm
Yes it is every hunters responsibilty to make sure of everything and anything. That I know for the past 45 years. Just been reading some field points shoot same or very close to some broad heads.
StevenR65

Post by StevenR65 »

ldock wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:02 pm
Minimum for excaliber is 350 grains not 305. I would just sight in for broad heads and forget trying to get both to shoot together. Makes life and crossbow hunting a lot simpler. Just my .02 cents not telling you to do anything you aren't comfortable with. It's your bow and arrows shoot what and how you feel comfortable.
It is a typo 350. This is what I am going to have to do. Sight in with broad heads. just have to get a target to accept broadheads. tks for input.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

As said already sight in with ANY broadhead you plan to hunt with before the season starts and forget everything you read about these, or those heads! :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

StevenR65 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:35 pm
Yes it is every hunters responsibilty to make sure of everything and anything. That I know for the past 45 years. Just been reading some field points shoot same or very close to some broad heads.
[/quote]

i have never had a fixed blade come close to field points but mechs (specifically spitfires) are an entirely different story for the better :!:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

IMO, when field points and broad heads are not "close" (or the same), then it points to an arrow issue. A BH may be a tad (less than 1") lower, due to more drag, but if it's left or right then the arrow is not spinning true. Try some much stiffer arrows like Black Eagle Zombies, and make sure yo have enough fletching control to have them fly well. Here I'd suggest 2" blazers put on with much helical. Or 3" fletchings with lots of helical.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
StevenR65

Post by StevenR65 »

Thanks everyone. I will try the info you have all suggested.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

StevenR65 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:29 pm
BTW, welcome to the forum. :D

Dave :thumbup:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
StevenR65

Post by StevenR65 »

papabear1 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:39 pm
StevenR65 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:29 pm
BTW, welcome to the forum. :D

Dave :thumbup:
Thank you
Steven
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I shot firebolts out of my Ibex and Vortex for years with no problem...killed many a critter with them.
The only thing I did different was to refletch them with 2” blazer vanes. You may want to bump your broadhead up to at least 125grs, that will give you better FOC.
I shot 125gr spitfires out of my Ibex and they shot to within a half inch of my field tips 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"