new to cross bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lewism

new to cross bows

Post by Lewism »

hi all,

i have not owned a cross bow so all the different types and models really are that meant for different people with different plans on use. i ussually like to have gemics but in most cases i think kiss is the key to all things. so i think i narrowed down to the 308short and the suppressor. any info one what you guys recommend on either of these or maybe either others. i plan to hunt with it and also for fun shooting targets.
My First Bow excalibur 340 micro AXE kryptec.
BrotherRon

Re: new to cross bows

Post by BrotherRon »

If you are going to do a lot of target shooting do you plan on using a crank?
If not I would probably recommend the Bulldog 330 ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

A lot depends on your physical ability, and what type of hunting you do to pick one over another. All are capable, some are smaller which is great for treestand hunting, so add more detail to your needs please. I like them all.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Lewism

Post by Lewism »

i dont like the crank systems due to trying to keep it simple. i tried to figuire out the assassin model and it was little had to figuire out how to release the line then release the part that gets pulled to the line. in saying that i also looking not to having issues drawing the line. want it narrow to shot in tree stand and not be interferred with tree,
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I would start with the 308, plenty fast and powerful in a nice size. I think the Assassin might be a bit complicated personally, I like simple.
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your choice.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Key words there...
"I would start..."
:clap:
xcaliber wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 pm
I would start with the 308, plenty fast and powerful in a nice size. I think the Assassin might be a bit complicated personally, I like simple.
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your choice.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Lewism

Post by Lewism »

Seems like read that the pull on the 308 bit hard to do on tree stand and the accuracy is on and off
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Lewism wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 am
Seems like read that the pull on the 308 bit hard to do on tree stand and the accuracy is on and off
Not sure about cocking a 308 in the stand but I assure you that is much easier than a suppressor. Also accuracy issue reports have been minuscule and usually operator error from what I have heard.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I cock my crossbow before heading up into the stand and hoist her up once I'm settled in.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

xcaliber wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:46 am
I cock my crossbow before heading up into the stand and hoist her up once I'm settled in.
Yep
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
dithian

Post by dithian »

I would second the Matrix Bulldog 330 for general, all around use. The 330 is easy to cock for long practice sessions, plenty of power and speed for just about anything you'd want to hunt, pinpoint accurate, and plenty compact. If you're particularly small-framed, then maybe you should start with the 308, but it's easy to imagine that one would want to upgrade from that pretty fast. If I had to choose just one, the 330 is the one I'd go with. That said, my go-to bow is a micro 335; but that has more to do with the specifics of where and how I hunt. I love shooting the 330.
Lewism

Post by Lewism »

Looks like the suppressor our question due to pull. I thinking 380 or the 335 micro. I really want to. It deal with too much pull what ya guys think?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The 380 is a longer pull to draw, I'm 5'8" tall and can easily cocktail both of those with the rope cocker. I would suggest you try one if possible, or go smaller at first if you have doubts. The Micro models do more with less travel making them higher poundage, but shorter pull.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I used to cock and uncock my Exocet in my Summit Goliath without any issues so the shorter and thinner newer Xbows should be a snap. I used to pass it over the top rail and bring the but stock up inside the rail. Plenty of room to get it done.

It is preferable to do it on the ground but one of the states I hunted had some tough laws. A cocked crossbow was considered a loaded weapon and hunting ended at sunset so I used to hunt to sunset uncock the Xbow and lower it down. The cocked crossbow as a loaded weapon as since been updated now and all you have to do is remove the arrow.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

lewism kinda sounds like joe
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE