Considering switching to fixed blade from mechanical

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WNCTracker

Considering switching to fixed blade from mechanical

Post by WNCTracker »

I’ve been displeased with rage crossbow X 125 gr broadheads. Last night on a quartering deer I didn’t get a pass through and in general I don’t seem to get good blood trails so I’m considering fixed blade but would like some input from folks with more experience than me. The G5 montec 125 looks to be pretty reputable, as does the 150 bolt cutter. I’m shooting a matrix 350 with Flemish string and 400 gr total weight diablo. Should I switch to fixed?
Jim M

Re: Considering switching to fixed blade from mechanical

Post by Jim M »

I tried the Montecs while still shooting a vertical.. Hit a WV buck in the shoulder and got no penetration. The Montec bent over in the front. They also seemed hard to sharpen. I've been using Slick Trick Magnums and they've done a nice job, while hitting right with my fieldpoints. I thought about trying QAD Exodus this year, but didn't. They seem to get great reviews. I shoot a slow crossbow, so what works for me might not work for you.
Jim
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I use the Excalibur 150grn Boltcutter fixed blade. Always had complete pass throughs as long as I was using an aluminum arrow. The last deer I shot,I used a carbon arrow(Deer Crossing Arrow) with the Boltcutter. Shot the deer broadside at approx. 18 yards from a ground blind. Hit the deer a little high but still a double lung shot. The arrow did not pass through completely. Had 11 inches of arrow (from a 20 inc arrow)still inside the deer. Had about 4 inches from the fletching end of the arrow sticking out the entrance side and 5 inches of arrow with the broadhead sticking out the other side. The deer rolled down a small incline snapping the arrow off on both sides. No blood trail since all the blood pooled inside the deer. Luckily the deer died within 10 yards of where she was shot. Since then,I switched back to aluminum arrows.
whoay

Post by whoay »

NAP hellrazor are my go to broadhead 100gr shooting out of matrix 350 complete pass thru last year... dont have to worry if it's gonna open or not it's cutting on contact..
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have been using muzzy trocar 100 and 125 . I switched this year to Excalibur x act had no problem going through my deer quartering away in fact broke a rib entrance side .
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

hunter with MS wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:30 am
I have been using muzzy trocar 100 and 125 . I switched this year to Excalibur x act had no problem going through my deer quartering away in fact broke a rib entrance side .
hunter do the exacts shoot the same as f/points ?

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shoot RamCat 125gr heads and really like the terminal performance. Other good fixed blades are Slick Trick Magnums, and Magnus black hornets or stingers. The Montec CS fly great but are hard to sharpen and I never got good blood wit them. I did kill a bison with that head from my Vortex. Penetration comes from proper arrow design, If you have a heavy arrow with decent FOC penetration should not be an issue with any fixed head
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

When my Dad had sponsors we always had a ton of different broadheads showing up. He shot wood boards and ballistic panels and gel. He said if you get crazy you can make any one of them "fail". We use the American Broadhead Company Sonic Bolt. It is 150 grains. When we run out of them we are going to probably switch to their Sonic Pro or Liberty that comes in 100 and 125 grain. On our regular bows we use the standard Sonic. Basically, these are 3 little blades that are forced forward from the back and put pressure on each other at the tip. It is a true cut-on-contact and the blades are thick (not the sharpened part). We have never broke a blade and sometimes they zip through a deer and you could reuse them. One time we were just going to go out for the last few minutes and we ended up getting a deer. My Dad field dressed it with the broadhead. They come with an unsharpened one for practice. You can buy replacement blades and keep using the ferrules. If you weigh the blades you will see they are always the same. We check the ferrules because sometimes they are a grain or two different. Look at them here:

www.americanbroadhead.com
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

WNCTracker wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:40 pm
I’ve been displeased with rage crossbow X 125 gr broadheads. Last night on a quartering deer I didn’t get a pass through and in general I don’t seem to get good blood trails so I’m considering fixed blade but would like some input from folks with more experience than me. The G5 montec 125 looks to be pretty reputable, as does the 150 bolt cutter. I’m shooting a matrix 350 with Flemish string and 400 gr total weight diablo. Should I switch to fixed?
seem to see this complaint about rage bh's often (was my experience years ago) went back to spitfires now with my 355 (vortex before that) and have not had any issues with premature opening, lack of blood trail or penetration,accuracy is excellent. my arrows are about 385gr total weight with the 100 grain head. i have a self imposed range limit of 35 yards when hunting
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I shoot the Slick Trick X Bow heads and they are very tough, fly great, and have replaceable blades, have always gotten pass troughs with bows rated at 350 fps.
The tip is not going to roll over on any deer bone, I often kill many deer with one head I just but in new blades.
Blood trails very but it is not the heads fault.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=slick+trick+150+grain&_sacat=0
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Spitfire 125's for me.
Forever that is.
Fly like my field points, leave huge entrance / exit holes, and excellent & SHORT blood trails.
No reason to switch.

Good Luck with your decision! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Boo

Post by Boo »

The Exodus and the Ram Cats both have the shortest ferrules which will give you broadheads that are accurate and less likely to bend. I like the 1" standard Slick Tricks for their accuracy. They make holes as big as much larger broadheads.
I use G5 Striker Magnums. They are the sharpest broadheads I've ever handled but they need to be precisely aligned to the arrow shaft because they are a 1.5" cut.
Whatever fixed you get, make sure you align them. You are far more likely to get a fixed broadhead to fly accurately and have the same POI as field points if you do so. It's a very simple process.
https://youtu.be/__duPM7CfrA
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

G5 Striker for me, shot placement is key. Heck a sharp rock on the end of a stick has taken many a game...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

There are so many good ones to choose from these days, and they all will do the job if the shot placement is good. I like Muzzy Trokar fixed, NAP Thunderhead, Slick Tricks, any of them, Ang the G5 mentioned are very good. They make heads for Bass Pro Shops, and Cabelas that are very sharp, and fly great but at a better price. Blackouts, and Copperheads.
Good luck with your choice.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!