Overall xbow weight or mass.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Flecha

Overall xbow weight or mass.

Post by Flecha »

I ground hunt exclusively and a lot of it is spot-and-stalk. I find that my Excal 330 gets awful heavy after a half day's walking up and down the woods. This got me thinking about a weight reduction plan. Coupla questions:

Anybody compared weight of wood stock vs factory?

Anybody tried reducing rail weight? I have a buddy who is a machinist and tempted to have him have at it.

Any thoughts on whether mass is necessary for accuracy etc. - i.e. could a super light stock and/or rail be detrimental?

Thx for any input..
gerald strine

Re: Overall xbow weight or mass.

Post by gerald strine »

A 308 short with a red dot scope, and no sound suppression is about the lightest thing out their.
Or you could try this.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Bear-Kodiak-Magnum-Bow/73572298?iid=132800704949&chn=ps
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Flecha

Post by Flecha »

Gerald, Funny you should suggest the recurve. Once I get 40lb or so in freezer, I move on to Great Northern bushbow. Much harder to connect, but such a pleasure to wander the woods with it.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Flecha wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:35 am
I ground hunt exclusively and a lot of it is spot-and-stalk. I find that my Excal 330 gets awful heavy after a half day's walking up and down the woods. This got me thinking about a weight reduction plan. Coupla questions:

Anybody compared weight of wood stock vs factory?

Anybody tried reducing rail weight? I have a buddy who is a machinist and tempted to have him have at it.

Any thoughts on whether mass is necessary for accuracy etc. - i.e. could a super light stock and/or rail be detrimental?

Thx for any input..
That rail is holding all of the pressure of the string. If you have someone skeletonize it they need to be sure not to weaken it structurally. But I would not think you would get much weight out that way anyway. Not worth it IMO. The 308 route wound be a better option I think. Go back to a pin sight, remove the stirrup and use a crank. That would be a pretty light bow. A wood stock would be heavier than the factory stock I would think.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have said many time l was gonna skeltonize a crossbow. Now that its Halloween l really wanna do it. But l agree the aluminum riser is not the heavy part. I think excalibur should have a featherweight bow in its lineup. IS ANYONE HEARING THIS. LOL
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:22 pm
I have said many time l was gonna skeltonize a crossbow. Now that its Halloween l really wanna do it. But l agree the aluminum riser is not the heavy part. I think excalibur should have a featherweight bow in its lineup. IS ANYONE HEARING THIS. LOL
Now your talkin LBJ, something like a 300 super short. SMF rail, skeleton stock with micro limbs, aggressive riser and lightweight holographic sight package.
:eusa-think:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yep!!!!!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

yes lighter please!
janesy

Post by janesy »

I find that weight is very subjective. Not only to the person carrying it, but to the size of the item.

Both my micros weigh in at 7LB 3Oz, and 7LB 5Oz. They don't strike me as heavy to carry, but they are really quite small.
My 7mm-08 I just carried all last week weighs it at 7lb 8oz loaded and scoped. But feels significantly lighter after a day walking with it that the bows do.
I don't think the matrix models are all that much heavier, as mentioned above, the rail is not all that heavy. But because the size difference changes the balance, I think that's where the perceived weight comes in.

I'd be interested in an extremely lightweight model. As far as skeltonizing a rail... I wouldn't suggest removing material all willy nilly, but excal does it every day with the bulldog models with no adverse effects. With that said, it's probably isn't worth the machine time.
Last edited by janesy on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

I had the opportunity to shoot the 308 at the Archer's Nook in London, Ontario over the weekend. It is a nice lightweight, compact and balanced bow. It would be great for someone covering a lot ground especially in dense bush.

I could point it at the target no problem one handed, which I can't say the same about my Matrix 350se. I'd never shoot it that way obviously but just as a comparison for balance and weight.

There's my two cents happy hunting everyone!
Matrix 350SE
R.E.D.S. 'n' Brakes
TriggerTech
DanO

Post by DanO »

I never realized the state weight of the bow is just that .... the weight of the bow only. Adding a scope, quiver, etc. increases the weight.

Are the Bulldog line of bows the lightest?
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
janesy

Post by janesy »

DanO wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:53 am
I never realized the state weight of the bow is just that .... the weight of the bow only. Adding a scope, quiver, etc. increases the weight.

Are the Bulldog line of bows the lightest?
No, they pretty much weight the same as their non BD counterparts. Maybe ounces either way
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme