Portable Crossbow Tripod

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Portable Crossbow Tripod

Post by ko4nrbs »

I found a very light aluminum camera tripod that I had been using for a crossbow support in my ground blind. Improved it this year by gluing one of these on top of it with Goop. They mount on the front of boat trailers to catch the front of the boat when loading. Works like a charm and it is black so it blends into the blind's black background.

The tripod has very secure adjustments and doesn't loosen when carried and is really quite to set up. Found it at an Estate sale.

Got it ready earlier this year and let it sit out for a few weeks to eliminate the smell of the glue. Deer have walked within 8 yards of me and never noticed it.

Have less than $10.00 in it now.

Just one more way to accomplish the task.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
catclr

Re: Portable Crossbow Tripod

Post by catclr »

I did the same thing some years back & served the purpose, but wanted something to hold the crossbow while in the blind, so it was ready when the animal showed, so I bought the Caldwell Field Pod, & never happier, as it does just what I wanted. Crossbow is always at the ready.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

catclr wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:18 pm
I did the same thing some years back & served the purpose, but wanted something to hold the crossbow while in the blind, so it was ready when the animal showed, so I bought the Caldwell Field Pod, & never happier, as it does just what I wanted. Crossbow is always at the ready.
I keep my bow at ready by resting it in the Vee and balancing it in my shoulder. Works well for me and is comfortable. I sit back as far as I can in the Doghouse blind so the crossbow is not sticking out of the window.

Earlier in the year got busted by not having the crossbow at ready so no more of that for me. The deer in this spot are always less than 20 yards away so being at ready is important.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

catclr wrote:

X2 on the field pod for the blind. :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
catclr

Post by catclr »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:03 pm
catclr wrote:
I keep my bow at ready by resting it in the Vee and balancing it in my shoulder. Works well for me and is comfortable. I sit back as far as I can in the Doghouse blind so the crossbow is not sticking out of the window.

Earlier in the year got busted by not having the crossbow at ready so no more of that for me. The deer in this spot are always less than 20 yards away so being at ready is important.

Bill
Bill,
Yea did the same thing, but when you fall a sleep the crossbow hits the ground, but now the crossbow is ready even if I fall a sleep. :lol:

Steve
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
catclr

Post by catclr »

Sorry just saw my double post.
Last edited by catclr on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

catclr wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:03 pm
ko4nrbs wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:03 pm
catclr wrote:

Bill
Bill,
Yea did the same thing, but when you fall a sleep the crossbow hits the ground, but now the crossbow is ready even if I fall a sleep. :lol:

Steve
Yea I can see that happening!!
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

If your crossbow is always at the ready while you're snoozing, you'll never be attacked by Ninja Squirrels!!
Not that I'd "EVER" snooze, nor do I believe in Ninja Squirrels :eusa-naughty:
But ya dang sure need to watch out for those Bucks wearing Klingon Cloaking devices!!! :crazy: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

In all seriousness, I too took a camera tripod and made a few adjustments to the mounting head. I made a wooden cradle head that would attach to the camera post. wrapped it in felt and then secured it to the tripod. The tripod itself is very sturdy and fully adjustable for height and the head fully pivots allowing me to move anyway necessary to make the shot.

This works well from a ground blind or any structure with a solid floor. It DOES NOT allow itself to work well in a tree stand. :thumbdown:

I plan on revamping this contraption after the season is over with by adding a clamping device to the cradle somehow, thus allowing the bow to be mounted then allowing the user (Me) to have both hands free to do whatever I need to do until it's "show time"!!

I have about $12-15 bucks tied up in it right now. Works well.

Andy
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Google pig saddle or hog saddle. They are made for tripod type mounting. I'm not sure though if they open big enough for the Excalibur stock..

Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
catclr

Post by catclr »

GrassyKnoll wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:10 am
Google pig saddle or hog saddle. They are made for tripod type mounting. I'm not sure though if they open big enough for the Excalibur stock..

For the price of that hog saddle, :thumbdown: you can almost buy two Caldwell Field Pods :thumbup:
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Someone was selling Caldwell Field Pod on Trading post while back. I looked for that post recently and couldn't find it. Anybody knows if it's sold? I am looking for one.
snowhunter

Post by snowhunter »

I'm guilty. I bought the field pod and it works great.