Scope out of focus

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerman41

Scope out of focus

Post by deerman41 »

I have a Hawke XB30 gen 1 that won't focus with the adjustment. When I sighted in before deer season it was a bright sunlit day shooting at a black block target I did not notice it. When I got in woods lower light It was very noticeable out of focus, I could adjust to where reticles are very sharp but scope was out of focus. What could cause this? I can hunt with it as is until end of season and send back for warranty work.
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
paulaboutform

Re: Scope out of focus

Post by paulaboutform »

Did you try setting the focus outside while pointing to a clear sky or clouds? Adjusting the focus quickly before your eye has time to adjust to the focus? This should yield the clearest picture of your reticle and the backdrop. If this is what you're doing and your scope won't focus, it's pooched.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

paulaboutform wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:38 am
Did you try setting the focus outside while pointing to a clear sky or clouds? Adjusting the focus quickly before your eye has time to adjust to the focus? This should yield the clearest picture of your reticle and the backdrop. If this is what you're doing and your scope won't focus, it's pooched.

Paul
Thanks Paul, when I adjust reticle clearest, the scope is very much out of focus. When I adjust scope to clearest point { all the way in } the reticle is out of focus. So I guess it is pooched. I can get by until season is out.
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam

Lumenoks
Charger EXT crank
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Hawke uses cheap Chinese glass. My 50 year old eyes can't use cheap glass anymore. Leupold or Nikon is all I use nowhere... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

Carnivorous wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:00 pm
Hawke uses cheap Chinese glass. My 50 year old eyes can't use cheap glass anymore. Leupold or Nikon is all I use nowhere... :)
I have Swarovski & leupold on my rifles, I wish leupold made a crossbow scope with illuminated reticles and speed adjustment. My old eyes need illuminated crossbow scope.
Tactacam

Lumenoks
Charger EXT crank
janesy

Post by janesy »

The day Burris comes out with a crossbow scope is the day my visa catches fire. With my eyes, Burris is the only scope that works perfectly every time.

Love my Nikon Bolt. The Nikon glass is crystal clear, but with my astigmatism the crosshairs go away or fade out with all scopes except Burris. For Bows, it's very manageable. But a rifle is a different story.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Carnivorous wrote:
Not using Vortex Viper anymore Jeff? I thought you liked it.
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

janesy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:47 pm
The day Burris comes out with a crossbow scope is the day my visa catches fire. With my eyes, Burris is the only scope that works perfectly every time.

Love my Nikon Bolt. The Nikon glass is crystal clear, but with my astigmatism the crosshairs go away or fade out with all scopes except Burris. For Bows, it's very manageable. But a rifle is a different story.
I can't understand why the good scope manufacturers don't make some good crossbow scopes, looks like there's a good market for them. Iv'e always spent more on optics than my rifles.
Tactacam

Lumenoks
Charger EXT crank
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

deerman41 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:52 pm
janesy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:47 pm

I can't understand why the good scope manufacturers don't make some good crossbow scopes, looks like there's a good market for them. Iv'e always spent more on optics than my rifles.
I think a big part of it is cost. I've got a few Vortex Viper XBR crossbow scopes which have been out of production at least a couple years now. They are awesome....but the retail price was around $800 - 850. I think that just limited the number of buyers. Just a thought ???

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Fazan wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:51 pm
Carnivorous wrote:
Not using Vortex Viper anymore Jeff? I thought you liked it.
found it to be too heavy and long. Moved on to a Leupold Mark AR! ;)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Just a thought.
Did you try looking into another scope to compare.
It is just possible something may have changed with your vision .
Some vision issues can occur suddenly without any noticable warning.
Some vision issues can affect just a small portion / spot in your field of vision.
Especially depending on your age but not always.
I am speaking from experience of a situation that occur to me 2 years ago which the first noticeable indication that a problem was about to occur, which only first became apparent while using my crossbow scope.
First thought it was my scope as well but a eye exam confirmed otherwise.
The Optometrist seen the source of the vision issue during the eye exam.
Referred me immedaitely to an Ophthalmologist. Next day!!!
Which shortly went downhill from there..
The good news is that because I seen them when I did and immedaitely by an Ophthalmologist was able help.
Took a year of treatments but back shooting and hunting again thankfully.

Which all started first by noticing a focus problem with my crossbow scope.

X
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

DOUBLE Post :thumbdown: