This Year's Young Gun

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

This Year's Young Gun

Post by IronNoggin »

Started this tale a day or two ago, so will now post the two days as they have developed...

Original Title was "Wish Us Luck", and if after reading this you feel so inclined, Please Do!! :thumbup:

At the direct request of a Rancher Buddy of mine, I have taken his young son in tow and am working hard to try and set him up to collect his very first Blacktail. The Young Gun is very proficient with firearms, having been well trained for years by both myself and his Pa. In fact, I gave him both his first pellet rifle, then helped with the 22 and scope that followed. Now he is up to a 12 gauge, and is very competent with it.

Although does are open in that area, he has noted he will not take one.
A lesson I try hard to instill in many over there - leave the breeders alone.
And further noted he is willing to go empty if he cannot take a buck.
There are six bucks I know of in the area.
Last night saw but a single old doe wander by, but his eyes were glistening with excitement even when we wandered back to the ranch house.

Guess a few of my Buddies are right in this regard calling me a vampire that feeds off the first timer's excitement. That bill fits! :lol:

Headed back out in a matter of an hour or two, and praying to the Goddess of The Hunt to reward this fine young man with a decent possibility to take his buck. If not tonight, hopefully soon...

All thoughts of taking another for myself are back-burnered until this is accomplished.
And if that means my tag hangs on the Christmas Tree so be it.
MUCH more important to me for this Young Gun to be brought properly into our fold!

So, like the title says, please send a little luck our way!!

Thanks and I'll letcha know as it goes...

Continued...
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Re: This Year's Young Gun

Post by IronNoggin »

Day Two:

Well, the show last night was as close as it comes.

Sat in the natural blind we had built a few days previous, side by side.
About 50 minutes before dark, a single doe sauntered by - at ten feet!! :shock:
The Lad was as calm as could be, simply smiling and watching the show while she wandered out into the field to feed - at 25 - 30 yards.
Fifteen minutes later, another younger doe came along from a different direction.
They fed side by side for quite the spell.

Suddenly the younger one lifted her head and stared HARD into the adjacent timber opposite from us.
The larger doe confirmed "there is someone there", but was entirely nonchalant about the matter.
The younger one strode over to the bushline and held, staring into the timber.
Senses on Red Alert, both the Young Gun & I sensed what was about to happen.
With a subtle shift, the Lad positioned himself just as the area's large three point entered the scene.

The buck instantly made for the doe, who led him on a merry prance back out towards us.
One hand up to the Lad - hold... hold...
As they approached, the buck seemed to lose interest in the first doe, and sidled in behind the larger one.
There he paused allowing me to gently whisper when he steps clear of her he will present a good shot.
Almost as though he had heard that, his muzzle went to the ground and he began to feed. :?:

The large doe paid him no mind, and they continued to feed side by side for over 15 minutes.
At 25 yards.
And the entire time the buck was well hidden directly behind that big doe.
Damn!
Again the Lad showed incredible patience and fortitude for one so young.
The only give-away was the subtle tremble in his hands as his eyes glistened staring at what was going on before us.
Catching that, I could not help by smile internally, well remembering the RUSH of those early hunts so far back in the mists of time of my own life.
NOTHING makes one feel more alive than those moments in my mind!

As daylight began to fail quickly, I was about to call it off, as it seemed the positioning we required was not about to happen.
Then something spooked the antlered one, he jumped and began to trot out from behind the doe.
I stopped him quickly with the standard grunt (Thanks Wabi!!), and he froze broadside.
Take Him I mouthed.

As the gun came up, the Lad's gloves made contact with a tree limb that bolsters one side of the blind.
Damn ski gloves, the sound they made seemed like a YELL in the stillness of the eve! :wtf:
The buck tensed to launch, and before I could say HOLD again the gun was up.

A split second before the 12 gunge roared, that buck rocketed like his tail was on fire!
Perfectly centered where his chest has been a mere millisecond ago, the buckshot printed a lovely tight pattern on the ground.
Double Damn!! :cry:

Although I knew it to be a miss, I did not miss the opportunity to teach him about the follow-up requirements.
We gave it 15 minutes, then carefully investigated where he had been when the shot went off.
No hair, no blood.
Then we switched on our headlamps & worked the trail out well into the timber, and four of the adjoining trails thereafter.
Put in about an hour doing that, and the Lad was all over the task at hand.
Soon it was obvious - A Swing & a Miss.

Some of the most exciting moments of my life, and some of the most disappointing were his quiet words as we withdrew.
I gently explained that even the very best sometimes miss, and asked if he understood why the buck had acted like he did.
Stupid Gloves.
Yep.
And today his Pa is taking him to Cabela's after school to get a good hunting pair (and likely a few other sundry items that will become "desperately needed" when they get there :lol: )

His mood well brightened by the time we reached the truck, and he was positively bubbly on the ride back home.
There he simply could not wait to excitedly explain all of the details to his Pa, culminating with "I will get him next time Dad!"
His Pa and I winked at each other, and reassured the Young Gun that things were indeed coming together as they should.
Only the second time out there, and had a possibility on one of the larger bucks in the area.
The pride in the Rancher's eyes was obvious, and he almost choked up as he shook my hand before I wandered off.

I left smiling for the drive home, already planning our next line of attack, and hoping that the next time the buck we encounter hangs up for another second or two...

More to come in this saga methinks. :wink:

I have to play catch-up for 2 days now, after hunting for 2 weeks straight there are some outstandings around the Hacienda that need addressing.
His Pa will take him out tomorrow, and I will return Thursday for our next foray...

Thanks for the well wishes Folks!
They not only are appreciated, it seems they helped in presenting us with the opportunity we encountered last night! :thumbup:
Keep them coming please, and just maybe this young fellow will realize his dream of taking a buck this fall!

Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good luck to you and Young Gun. He's in very good hands! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Great story as always Nog, Good luck to you and the young lad. :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Wishing the two of you the best of luck!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've had the pleasure to meet this young man again this past weekend while spending a couple days with Nog. We stopped by to find the young man stacking firewood for his Pa. Barrel chested and rosie cheeks, he made direct eye contact and offered a firm handshake. My heart was warmed by this encounter and this really speaks magnitudes of the character of this boy and his parents. His Pa is probably one of the nicest people i've met. I sincerely hope you guys score on a great buck and I can't wait to hear about the hunt success. :thumbup: :eusa-popcorn:.....and with Ironnoggin in his corner, I have no doubt it'll happen! :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Great story
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Well, the lad & his Pa got fogged out last night around 45 minutes before nightfall. :thumbdown:
They only managed to make out one doe - at 15 feet. Could not see beyond that.

Supposed to head down tonight, but I am offering to come tomorrow and full day Saturday instead.
Still fixated on getting the fine young fellow onto one!
Guess in retrospect I perhaps should have started this quest much earlier in the season - when I was passing up multiple bucks a session in the other area...

Oh well, nose to the grindstone as it were, and in the words of old Chief Dan George We Shall Endeavor To Persevere... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Good Luck to Y'all I hope the Lad gets another chance at a buck. I know the feeling teaching a young man to hunt and get their first opportunity to kill their 1st deer.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Great tail, best wishes on your pursute.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Well another evening rolled by.
The fog came in damn thick just as it did the other night I wasn't there - right about 45 minutes from nightfall.
But, we stuck it out, and occasionally it would lift just enough we could almost see 35 or so yards.

Just at dark it did just that, and there was a deer standing directly across from the blind, and staring hard in our direction.
An extremely slow lift of the binocs, and Yep, it's the three point! At 25 yards!! :shock:
Ever so slowly I gave the Thumbs Up to the Lad.
He responded by moving in slow motion, not a single rustle to be heard, and the 12 gauge came to bear.
When settled, he then thumbed back the old hammer.
Unfortunately that resulted in an audible CLICK, and the buck instantly vanished into the fog like so much smoke! :(
Damn!
So close and yet so far again.

I was up and called down there well before the sky even thought about greying up.
Fog so thick they could not even see ten feet.
Abandon the am.
The fog did not lift until after 10:30 am...
Right Call.

On the way out last night I encountered a HUGE 4 point I have not seen all season.
Big Boy for sure, and he really didn't like me slowing down for a boo even though it was well after dark.
Rocket time!
But now we know he is in the area, and spirits are running high once again! :D

Managed to drop my 50 year old scattergun on the asphalt when I got home.
Slipped part way up the drive, and the ol' Winchester single shot I was presented with at the ripe old age of nine plummeted from my arms, and smoked the asphalt drive with a sickening crunch.
DAMMIT!
50 years of looking after that one, gone in an instant!

I have taken ducks, geese, pheasants, sharptails, huns, and a pile of deer with that old gal.
Broke my heart to see what I had inflicted simply due to rushing and not thinking.

Today I put the wood back together with JB Wood Weld.
It has a close color match, and I know damn well just how strong it is.
Of course one will always be able to tell, but she will function again.

The Bakelite butt plate I kind of struggled with.
I could find no satisfactory reference on how to mend that. Too damn many mixed reviews & reports out there.
After some deliberation, I went with Gorilla Glue Two Part Epoxy.
Familiar with that stuff, and it usually binds most materials quite firmly.

I would love to hear anyone's advise as to what else may bond the Bakelite if they have any experience.
A just in case if the Gorilla stuff doesn't hold.

The pieces are currently sitting above a heating duct, and I'll let them sit there until tomorrow before testing.

Tonight I'll be packing the 12 gauge shorty, which only fires 2 3/4" shells.
Going to miss my Old Friend that throws 3 inchers into the tightest pattern you've ever seen at distance!
But then again, I am only back-up after all.
And I didn't manage to ruin the single the Lad is using... :oops:

Headed back down in an hour or so...

The Quest Continues...

Cheers,
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Only the Ladies showed last night.
Just at dark, several kept peeking back into the timber where methinks one of the bucks was lurking.

Nonplussed, my Young Gun is learning, and learning fast it seems.
When we got to his home, he said: "I think there is a possibility that ol' buck is patterning us Buddy. So, I'd like to suggest we rest the spot for a little while. Although I REALLY want to go tomorrow, I do think it might be better to let him think we gave up on him".

Not many first-timers are going to put that little gem together.
So, I strongly agreed, noting I have bear lard to process, and that we head out again tomorrow or the next...

Time is now running short.
I had forgotten they are going on holidays later this week.
Better get at it methinks...

Soon...
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Ol' Betsy got repaired.
So when we head out tonight, she will be riding my shoulder where she belongs again. :thumbup:

Here's Hoping!
Nog
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Big Buck DOWN! :thumbup:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats! Cannot wait for the story & pics Matt. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!