Tec question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Tec question

Post by longbow joe »

About how many pounds is on a set of crossbow limbs in the uncocked position. Say we just pick a 175 pound bow.
I basically shoot my bows micro/matrix/exo all year and never bothered to unstring them . As far as storage I have always avoided the dreaded "hotplace".how many of you are unstringing your bows during the off season. I'm sure people out there have older long limbers that have never been unsprung if so have they lost much pounds over the years.
Last edited by longbow joe on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
SALTYDOG

Re: Tec question

Post by SALTYDOG »

I leave my Phoenix strung year round,do not see any speed loss...don’t know how many foot lbs. or stress on the limbs if any..maybe because of the WIDE limbs and being a 175 lbs.bow.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

My Axiom has had a string on it since it was new several years ago. We check the sight-in and shoot it throughout the year. Dad has a chronograph and it has never shown to get slower. Actually, one year it got about 11 fps faster somehow. The sight-in stayed the same.
bdog

Post by bdog »

Bill had one hanging on the wall at Excal for some ridiculous length of time with no ill effects....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
janesy

Post by janesy »

I don't think any damage can be done by storing energy in the limbs, as in leaving it strung.
It the release of that energy that would almost always start the problem.

But I get the question of how much energy is actually being stored with only the string mounted. Good question. My scientific answer is officially... Some. It is storing some.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

XB I GO wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:36 pm
My Axiom has had a string on it since it was new several years ago. We check the sight-in and shoot it throughout the year. Dad has a chronograph and it has never shown to get slower. Actually, one year it got about 11 fps faster somehow. The sight-in stayed the same.
You probably installed a better string. When Vixenmaster sent me some of his works of art, I gained about the same as you. The longevity of his strings are incredible.
Hank
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

bdog wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:34 pm
Bill had one hanging on the wall at Excal for some ridiculous length of time with no ill effects....
Mines been strung for 9 years without any loss of speed. Incredibly tough bows are what sells and keeps selling.
Hank