Rendering Bear Fat

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Rendering Bear Fat

Post by IronNoggin »

I thought I had this up somewhere on this Forum, but after a good bit of searching I could not find it??
So, as I am once again getting to this task today, I decided to run it up again so that I can search and find it quicker down the road. Also so that anyone interested can see just what is involved...

Clean ALL hair, meat and blood off the fat, then chop into ~ one inch cubes:

Toss the cubes into your large diameter pot:

Add some water (I put about 4 cups to around 10 cups of fat this go):

Set your burner to medium heat, cover and monitor:

You do NOT want to get too hot or it will scorch. Keep around medium heat for the duration. Takes a couple of hours. During that time most of the water will boil off, but when it gets close to done, you want to remove the cover and let the rest of the water wander off.

You can tell it is done when the cracklings resemble piggy puffs, stop making noise as they boil, and turn a golden brown:

And, just like piggy puffs it is a mad scramble between the hounds and myself to see who gets the most! Yummy!!

Then set up your second pot with a double layer of cheesecloth for a filter, and the mason jars the same (I use old and clean game bags for this) in preparation for filtering:

This next step is a little tricky, and I advise Extreme Caution! Handling extremely hot oil can be very hazardous to your health!! Slowly and carefully pour the contents of your boiler pan into the next pot through the filter.

Then remove that filter, and pour into the mason jars. The liquid will appear like a fine oil at this point:

Cap and set to cool:

In my case the overnight temperatures dropped right down, so I simply left the product on the table out back all night. When cool, the lard turns snow white, and is an extremely fine oil / lard. It can be held for over a year when refrigerated, and damn near forever when frozen, and damn near forever once frozen.

It can be used any time you would cooking oil, makes the best pastry lard ever invented, and is an incredible preservative for leather (boots etc). There is indeed a reason our forefathers loved and relied on this stuff so much!

Won't have as much as last year as this boar was slightly smaller, and not nearly as larded up. Easy to understand as we've had such a warm fall this year, while last year's boar was shot when there was almost a foot of snow on the ground. Still should realize enough to get us through another full year methinks...
Today's task underway soon...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
gerald strine

Re: Rendering Bear Fat

Post by gerald strine »

I would like to try some of those Cracklings I bet they are wonderful.
Interesting process.
I have never harvested a Bear but I put out the deer tallow, suit for the birds and they love it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

Do bear cracklings taste as good as pork cracklings? I’ve rendered pork lard a couple times, and those hot pork cracklings are to die for! :)
Normous

Post by Normous »

My Korean Acupuncturist would ask for my bear fat and basically render the same way to make the BEST ever foot cream .
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Very cool!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I love spicy pork rinds.........are they healthy for me.?????
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:00 pm
I love spicy pork rinds.........are they healthy for me.?????
:eusa-popcorn: They are good for the soul not body.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

nchunter wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:39 pm
Do bear cracklings taste as good as pork cracklings? I’ve rendered pork lard a couple times, and those hot pork cracklings are to die for! :)
They are even better than pork cracklings!
And you can spice them any way you like!
The Hounds & I certainly look forward to this time of year, for just that reason!

Twenty-one pints of extremely high quality lard from this fall's boar.
Just enough to see us through the winter methinks!
Happy Happy! :D

Next up - a mountain of smokies & pepps!! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I used to use bear fat on my leathery soft hands . They felt as soft as a newborns bottom . Better than any over the counter product I have ever used .