Season Finally Turning Around...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Season Finally Turning Around...

Post by nchunterkw »

It's been an odd season to say the least. Until Sat. I had only taken 1 deer..a small button buck. I hit one early on in Sept. but just barely as there was no real blood on the arrow and none on the ground. A 2 hr grid search left me with no deer and a tick I didn't find for a day or so. So we had to deal with that and a check for Lymes and Alpha Gal.

The main property I hunt has shown that you pretty much get 1 chance per stand before they become wary enough to stay away until dark. And this year I had been taking others with me a lot and 2 of them had clean misses, which is good and bad. Good is clean miss. Bad is you get the same spook result as if you killed one. So it's been tough.

Long story short, that through my Backyard BowPro org. I was able to land hunting rights to a gated community with a deer problem. Lots of deer around so this past weekend, a buddy and I went out Friday. He missed one (again....he's a rookie and still thinks like a rifle hunter....I'm working on him), and then he finally left the air out of a nice small 6 pointer. The next day I went out and took an "11 point" Well....not really an 11 point, but when you look at the rack it looks like an "11" 8) That deer was practically standing in the hoof prints of where my buddies deer was standing the previous night. SO that was kinds cool. I was also 2 steps away from a double that night , but that buck decided to back off and go to the next crossing. Maybe the blood on the ground spooked him a bit.

Hunting and donating deer meat is my "ministry". I had been saying all year that God is in control and it's His season and trying to stay positive. Well, this new place seems pretty awesome and hopefully our group can help provide some much needed protein to the local food banks. He has truly blessed me with this place.

TECHNICAL NOTES:
My buddy used a Slick Trick Magnum, and I used a 125gr RamCat and both deer were 20 yard broadside shots from the ground. Both hits were double lung and neither deer made it 50 yards. The blood trails were instantaneous and very very good. Like 2-3 feet wide and continuous from about 5 yards from the spot they were standing to where the deer fell. I have a few pics of the deer being illuminated by my "blood light". If you are considering one, I'll tell you they do work. I have the Primos Bloodhunter HD. Really makes the blood pop. If you want to see a pic, PM me your email or phone number and I'll send. I'd rather not post a big bloody pic here unless there is a demand for it.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Bcxbow

Re: Season Finally Turning Around...

Post by Bcxbow »

Congrats to you and your buddy Keith. :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Way to go Keith. Nothing better than helping reduce a deer problem.

My season is over and these stories keep me going.. Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
gunboy203

Post by gunboy203 »

Congrats on a successful hunt Keith....
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats to ya'll both I'm glad things finally turned around for you. Since our rifle season came in I've switched to the rifle. I've killed 2 does with the crossbow and 1 with the muzzleloader still waiting on a big one for the rifle.

Good luck my friend
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Very cool hunt and a great find with that property...
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Congrats Keith. Some seasons are just tough. One year it was like a month before l saw a legal buck. Then during
"Gun season " in a bow only property the deer were rutting a month late like it was October . Live and learn that's the fun of it. Hunting and fishing will humble you and put you in your place every time. ....that's why it never gets old.lm buck tagged out and its gonna be cold as hell tomorrow l should be glad I'm not gonna be out in the cold but something makes me wish l was out there still lol. Happy Thanksgiving.Joe z.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Congratulations ! Some seasons are tough ! And some years, You can kill one anywhere you sit down. You never know.
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on both of your harvest and in helping a friend get into x bows.
Nice to be able to feed people in need but be sure to keep your freezer full also.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.