Replacement limbs!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

artifact

Replacement limbs!

Post by artifact »

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but here goes!
When returning a splintered limb to have the set of limbs replaced, is it too much to ask for a set of limbs that are at least "EQUAL" to the set of limbs that were on the bow from new, I just had a set replaced that were more or less "you get what you get", and that they were limited to what limbs Excalibur sends them, which I can understand.
There were 103's on it (I asked), it now has 30's on it, knowing that they changed the limb #'s I have no clue where those stand as for being at least close to my original limbs. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I was extremely happy with what I had and hope that in comparison I didn't go from a .300 Win. Mag. to a 30-06 or even a 30-30 !!!!!
I need to crony it sometime, maybe I'll be happy with the results, but right now I have reservations and am probably thinking too much! :lol:
In hindsight, I should have removed the limbs myself and sent them back to the factory, hopefully they would have given me equivalent limb's and I wouldn't be questioning what I got, they have plenty of limbs!
Lets put it this way, using the old #'s I wouldn't have accepted any limbs that were way off from the originals, the new #'s I have no clue as to a close match!
Am I being too paranoid, as stated I was extremely happy with the original setup, any input?
Guess you can tell, this is bothering me! :lol:
xcaliber

Re: Replacement limbs!

Post by xcaliber »

I think the old numbers were hot around 100 or higher, the new number is 50. Your speed will tell the tale, or your POI at 40 yards. I would not accuse you of being paranoid, just wanting what you had.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Now there is even more new deflection numbers as I received some replacement limbs a few weeks ago in the high 60’s and the bow chrono’s the same speed as another set of limbs in the mid 50’s. I guess the only way to go is don’t fret it until you shoot it. :crazy:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I think you be happy with what they sent you . Put them on and give them a try , you may be surprised ,
W.M.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

How they perform is all that really matters. My Exomax is still very accurate after I replaced the limbs this past spring. Has downed 5 deer already this season.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
janesy

Post by janesy »

artifact wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:41 am
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but here goes!
When returning a splintered limb to have the set of limbs replaced, is it too much to ask for a set of limbs that are at least "EQUAL" to the set of limbs that were on the bow from new, I just had a set replaced that were more or less "you get what you get", and that they were limited to what limbs Excalibur sends them, which I can understand.
There were 103's on it (I asked), it now has 30's on it, knowing that they changed the limb #'s I have no clue where those stand as for being at least close to my original limbs. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I was extremely happy with what I had and hope that in comparison I didn't go from a .300 Win. Mag. to a 30-06 or even a 30-30 !!!!!
I need to crony it sometime, maybe I'll be happy with the results, but right now I have reservations and am probably thinking too much! :lol:
In hindsight, I should have removed the limbs myself and sent them back to the factory, hopefully they would have given me equivalent limb's and I wouldn't be questioning what I got, they have plenty of limbs!
Lets put it this way, using the old #'s I wouldn't have accepted any limbs that were way off from the originals, the new #'s I have no clue as to a close match!
Am I being too paranoid, as stated I was extremely happy with the original setup, any input?
Guess you can tell, this is bothering me! :lol:
I've gone through a dozen or more different sets of limbs for various reasons in the past couple years. The latest, a brand new, not blemished, set I bought just yesterday for a colour swap. I didn't even look at the numbers now that I think of it

I replaced the limbs last night. Before I did I took a shot with the first set. With older silver lettering. Then I replaced the limbs. The new limbs are much much harder to cock. So I figured they were stronger. (In this case I'm trying to slow the bow down lol)

The same arrow hit in the EXACT same hole. The numbers and the feel of the limbs were completely irrelevant where it actually matters.

The worst thing that every happened was figuring out those limb number meant SOMETHING. I say something, because we still don't know what the number actually mean.

My point is, I stopped caring about the deflection number many limbs ago. For all practical purposes, you'll never notice the difference. So with that said.... Don't get a Chrony. The arrow will still go through an elephant.

99% of Excalibur owners don't even know those numbers are even there haha . Shoot away and be happy.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
artifact

Post by artifact »

Thanks for the replies, yes somewhere down the road I will chronograph it and see exactly where I'm at. It may be my imagination, but when I got home and cocked it it just didn't seem to have the same stiff feel as the old limbs when I got near full draw.
Thanks again for the replies, hopefully when I get around to a chronograph I will know for sure where I'm at, as mentioned, in the meantime I should just shoot it at 40yds and see if the POI changed to at least give me some piece of mind.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

I'm surprised they didn't asked for you to send in the whole front end? Usually they replace the riser too. The riser is a revamped version of the original, lost a few FPS there but all in all the game and or target will not know...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Boo

Post by Boo »

You don't have a speed reading before limb replacement, you don't have a speed reading after limb replacement. Once you don't have your old limbs that you never chronographed, how are you going to determine that you have new limbs that match your old limbs. So why worry about something that cannot be substantiated? Maybe I'm misunderstanding some part of your first post? :eusa-think:
I have never chronographed any of the bows that I bought for myself to hunt or shoot because the actual speed is unimportant.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
artifact

Post by artifact »

My mistake, should have chronographed and would have something to go by. Like I said, I may be making a mountain out of a molehill, all I wanted was the equivalent limbs that were on the bow, not faster, not slower, just equal, I was extremely happy with what I had.
Jansey really put my mind to rest with his post, once I get around to shooting it I will probably be content, hopefully!
Here's mainly what I'm questioning, If I would have sent the limbs directly back to Excalibur would they have tried to match the limbs and not been "you get what you get", or do they just send out a set and it's also "you get what you get" ?
Normous

Post by Normous »

artifact wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:44 am
Here's mainly what I'm questioning, If I would have sent the limbs directly back to Excalibur would they have tried to match the limbs and not been "you get what you get", or do they just send out a set and it's also "you get what you get" ?
The answer is yes, Excalibur will match your limb deflection if you sent them in yourself and it would be your job to communicate that request.
I might add, that you could communicate a same, higher or lower deflection request and Excalibur will assist.
Like others have said, the spread in deflection is between the highest and lowest deflection limbs is rather inconsequential.
At the end of the day it really does not matter.
You may be correct about the molehill.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
artifact

Post by artifact »

Thanks again, you are also saying the same as jansey said, when several people agree on a subject I tend to believe it to be fact. Apparently I will end up being satisfied with what I got, sure hope so!
I'm 71, and at the max length of cocking these limbs don't seem to load up as much as the other ones, maybe that's a blessing and I won't need a cocking aid for awhile! :lol: Again, maybe just my imagination or I'm getting stronger!!!!
Heck, at 71 I'm just glad I can even cock it with just the rope cocker!