POLL ,narrowing down my choice BD330 or BD380 but i need some answer's.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BullDog 330 VS. BullDog 380 poll

BullDog 330
53%
BullDog380
47%

Total votes: 19

Owl Creek

POLL ,narrowing down my choice BD330 or BD380 but i need some answer's.

Post by Owl Creek »

Ok folks.
i think i have it down to these two, if i buy new.
i would like to see others opinions , and the reason you like the one you voted for.

First i would like to know why the 380 is $300 more than the 330. i cant seen it and i cant find anywhere where it says.
is it in the limbs? other materials? trigger?

The 330 is a lower cost ,and from what i read is plenty enough to take a deer.
and its been compared to a carbine like a 30-30 all around great choice. and i do own a 30-30. love it .i just got it last year.

Now the 380 was based off the matrix 380 and was a crowd favorite i read.
and it has been said its more like a rifle, i picture a 30.06 i have 2 of those . they don't walk off when hit with the Ol .06

One of my thoughts is, all tho you may not need 380fps by the time you put some DB dampeners and a 500gn bolt on there your going to be down to
350ish or less i would guess.
but its gona hit like a truck.

i do not have a dealer close by that i can go drop in on and shoulder these and get a feel how they balance for me.
so i will have to rely on what i read , personal opinion and observations from you members . or take a couple road trips or both.

The BD360 Waverns had probably would have fit the bill, but its not on their site anymore and i am saving up for this anyway.
so i will be a few months before i buy.

In the mean time i plan to learn all i can about each one before i make my decision. ( its just the way im wired)
i be leave either one would will do the job, but i want to know everything about each one.
i have already wore out YOUTUBE watching videos...LOL

Thanks for you input.
Steve
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
W.Miguire

Re: POLL ,narrowing down my choice BD330 or BD380 but i need some answer's.

Post by W.Miguire »

some sound advice: Give Danny Miller a call and he will explain the difference to you . that's why he does not sell on the internet ,because he wants to talk to his customers so he can fit them to their needs . he will not steer you wrong . 1 704 483 2312
W.M.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The 330 will be easily cocked even late in life, it is just plain reasonable all around in all aspects of hunting. A 380 isn't going to hit harder, keep in mind we kill by cutting an hemorrhaging using a sharp broadhead. All you need is a pass though and a 380 is not going to kill any better than a 308 let alone a 330.
I think one should buy the fastest bow you can cock and afford. I can easily cock the 330 but my back is pretty spiteful when I cock a 380. If you can easily cock the 380, go for it!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

A lot depends on your physical body build I am 5 ft 4 in tall and any of the matrix bows over 350 fps the rails are to long for me to cock with a rope comfortably once your hands get up to your arm pits you have no leverage.
I have not had a bulldog bow but as speed goes up the rail length increases along with draw weight but cranks are an option and I would need one on the fastest bows.
The taller you are the easier it is to cock x bows with a rope cocker.
Last edited by gerald strine on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I bought both new for projects. They are both nice bows, although I did not fire either.

As I have posted numerous times on this board. I believe the BD330 is the best shouldering bow in the matrix line up. It's also pretty nice looking with the full camo finish.

I would say using the 30-30 anology is a little on the weak side. I'd say your 30-30 is more like the 308/310 area of bow.

It's funny how the micro 335 is beloved amongst its it users, but the 330 gets labeled as slow.

Regardless, you honestly couldn't go wrong with either one. But I'd be going BD330 all the way. Effective hunting range is the same.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

The only advantage to the 380 is it shoots a bit faster meaning less drop so yardage mistakes are very slightly negated as well as deer reaction time is a bit negated,penetration on deer is not a issue both will zip through like butter. that said the disadvantages to the 380 are it will be a longer ,heavier bow , harder to cock, ware out strings and servings faster, but all these things are miner if you learn to reserve your own strings, and can get the bow cocked with out struggling.
Boo is correct we are not killing by shock like a bullet but by cutting off the circulatory, respiratory,or nerviest systems by hemorrhaging so toss the firearm terminology out the window .
Buy the fastest bow you can cock easy and get set up for reserving yourself and when you get old buy slower model or have the rail cut down.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

gerald strine wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:38 am
The only advantage to the 380 is it shoots a bit faster meaning less drop so yardage mistakes are very slightly negated as well as deer reaction time is a bit negated,penetration on deer is not a issue both will zip through like butter. that said the disadvantages to the 380 are it will be a longer ,heavier bow , harder to cock, ware out strings and servings faster, but all these things are miner if you learn to reserve your own strings, and can get the bow cocked with out struggling.
Boo is correct we are not killing by shock like a bullet but by cutting off the circulatory, respiratory,or nerviest systems by hemorrhaging once the bolt penetrates the far side you are not gaining any more cutting,so toss the firearm terminology out the window .
Buy the fastest bow you can cock easy and get set up for reserving yourself and when you get old buy slower model or have the rail cut down.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Thanks for the reply so far. good stuff!

im 6' tall on a XXL frame so cocking one should not be a issue ,i think. altho i want to try one first hand to make sure .

Is there any Accuracy advantages to either bow?

on a side note,
This actually brings up a question that i have not worked out yet.
Ok so you have a vertical bow that can shoot 330fps with a 350 gn arrow with a 30 inch
draw length and it can go thru a deer fine but does not seem to go to far after that,

But theses cross bow bolts with a bolt that can weigh the same, yes it has more draw lbs , but the power stroke is shorter.
and they look like a rocket dancing through the woods in some of these videos.

does it boil down to just the draw weight being more KE?

there is still the price difference question. the 330 is not cheaper made is it? or are you just paying for 50 more fps?

Thanks
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Boo

Post by Boo »

The 330 will be less sensitive to poor arrow arrow setup and other things. So the 380 will exaggerate poor accuracy when your broadhead is out of alignment, FOC, tiller etc.
But don't underestimate the advantage of a flatter trajectory at the limit of your shooting.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Boo covered accuracy with a proper made bolt and broadhead the 380 will be accurate. as far as quality goes their is no difference if you want speed you have to pay because they can get it a couple inches of rail does not cost $300.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Either one will make an awesome micro :eusa-dance:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

I bought a matrix 380 in july, and hooked on it. Older style, not bulldog. When I got the Diablo bolts, and replaced the chepos that came with it, my accuracy went thru the roof. These guys know what their doing on this forum. I've learned so much on this forum, some great advice. No dealers around here, and don't know of any Excal owners here either. Maybe they can correct me here, but seems like from what I've seen here, the limbs on the micro series give more problems?
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
dithian

Post by dithian »

I can't say enough good things about my 330. Excellent bow, easy to cock, knocks down HUGE wild boar like a champ, accurate, trim, does the dishes… shall I go on? There haven't been any cases when the extra few fps would have made the difference. Speed is no replacement for practice and knowing when to and not to pull the trigger. I'm sure a flatter trajectory is nice, but will it really make that much difference?

You'll be happy no matter which bow you get.
janesy

Post by janesy »

It's neck and neck!
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
SALTYDOG

Post by SALTYDOG »

Not any more :lol: