Help newbie here! Problem when shooting Exocet crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

thelopeztribe

Re: Help newbie here! Problem when shooting Exocet crossbow

Post by thelopeztribe »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:16 pm
I believe you have had a partial dry fire situation. When hunting with my Exomax I routinely check to ensure my arrow is firmly seated against the string. Doesn't take much to move it off the string especially if the hold down spring is not adjusted correctly. I only use the flat nocks the bow was designed for.

Adjusting brace height:
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcasa&p=excalibur+adjusting+brace+height#id=1&vid=882362e392c5c7fc9498c6f98b35d635&action=click

Excellent source of info as well:
http://boocustomstrings.com/importantstuff.html

Brace height guide:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Excalibur_Crossbow_String_Guide.pdf

My Exomax has two lines etched in the rail. I keep the string on the line closer to the trigger side of the string. This gives me about 3/16" to 1/4" or so gap between the string the rubber string stops.

Good luck,
Bill
Why did it work on Friday then? I bought this pre-owned and this is what it came with. I will look into the brace height. Mine has 2 etched lines as well and it is almost to the line closer to the trigger side of the string.
thelopeztribe

Post by thelopeztribe »

gerald strine wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:42 pm
#1 you are not shooting a flat nock fix that asap #2 your brace height is off I prefer around served string width off the bumpers aprox 1/8 inch.
Can I take off this existing nock and replace it with a flat nock?
janesy

Post by janesy »

thelopeztribe wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:12 pm
gerald strine wrote:
#1 you are not shooting a flat nock fix that asap #2 your brace height is off I prefer around served string width off the bumpers aprox 1/8 inch.
Can I take off this existing nock and replace it with a flat nock?
Yes, I would do that.
I have no experience with those universal nocks, but I can tell you it would not be something I would be trying out, in my opinion(admittedly ignorant in this case) it looks like if the arrow was not in the same spot each time, there would be a possibility of the string not nesting into the little grooves. If it did that dry fire, right away. Grab some flat nocks they are cheap.

So back to that Guardian ADF LOL.
Last edited by janesy on Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

thelopeztribe wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:04 pm
Why did it work on Friday then?
Don't know for sure. The best thing to do is to use flat nocks and ensure you have the correct brace height and see how it does. Sometimes a process of elimination is the only way to solve these kind of puzzles.

Inspect your your arrows for cracks at the nocks. Always discard any that have damage. I had to discard some arrows this year because of that issue.

I'd install an Excalibur Guardian ADF when you get a chance. It can save you a lot of headaches down the road.
https://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-Guardian-Anti-Dry-Scope-Mount/dp/B00BQ7CKHM

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
thelopeztribe

Post by thelopeztribe »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:23 pm
thelopeztribe wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:04 pm
Why did it work on Friday then?
Don't know for sure. The best thing to do is to use flat nocks and ensure you have the correct brace height and see how it does. Sometimes a process of elimination is the only way to solve these kind of puzzles.

Inspect your your arrows for cracks at the nocks. Always discard any that have damage. I had to discard some arrows this year because of that issue.

I'd install an Excalibur Guardian ADF when you get a chance. It can save you a lot of headaches down the road.
https://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-Guardian-Anti-Dry-Scope-Mount/dp/B00BQ7CKHM

Bill
Thanks. It is on my Christmas wish list. :)
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

thelopeztribe wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:03 pm
Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:55 pm
Is the hold down spring tight enough to keep the arrow from slipping forward?

If you are new at this it is easy to bend the hold down spring when cocking the crossbow.

Bob
Bob - How would I know this? Or how would I know if bent it? It seems to be fine from what I can tell?
The hold down spring looks fine. If it isn’t tight enough the arrow can slip forward and cause a partial dry fire.

I second changing the mocks to the correct flat mocks.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
thelopeztribe

Post by thelopeztribe »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:54 pm
thelopeztribe wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:03 pm
Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:55 pm
Is the hold down spring tight enough to keep the arrow from slipping forward?

If you are new at this it is easy to bend the hold down spring when cocking the crossbow.

Bob
Bob - How would I know this? Or how would I know if bent it? It seems to be fine from what I can tell?
The hold down spring looks fine. If it isn’t tight enough the arrow can slip forward and cause a partial dry fire.

I second changing the mocks to the correct flat mocks.

Bob
Will do. Kind of a dumb question though, why would they even sell universal nocks or why would where I bought this from with the arrows it came with even have these on there?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Get rid of those nocks n get flat nocks, yer retainer spring looks low enuff to hold the arrow from fallin forward
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

thelopeztribe wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:43 pm
it makes this wonky/gong noise, the arrow barely goes 10-15 yards and the string got slung off the crossbow.
When you do not seat the arrow hard against the string and shoot the bow the arrow doesn't get much energy and the further away the arrow is from the string, the shorter the arrow flight. Also, the further away from the string you are, the more likely the string is going to fly off the limbs. There are no grass skirts and hula dancers in this situation.
If you have plastic nocks, make sure they aren't mushroomed or otherwise damaged from semi dry-fires. Also check your arrow shafts near the nock for cracks. These 2 issues can result from a semi-dry fire. Also make sure the arrow freely passes past the 2 latch fingers that hold the string.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

gerald strine wrote:
Agree with #1 above. Trash those nocks. Excaliburs are made to shoot a flat nock. Seems like the string is slipping under or over the arrow when fired. Doesn't take much of a change to the serving or nock to have this go from OK, to bad.

Brace height seems OK to me. the 1/8" off the bumpers is more of a Matrix/Micro setting. On the older long limbs I kept mine just inside the top line on the rail....and yours is close to that.

What arrows do you have? I can send you some flat nocks if they are 0.300" ID

Also, cock the bow and check the limbs over. You have had several semi-dry fires.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

[quote=nchunterkw post_id=675870

Also, cock the bow and check the limbs over. You have had several semi-dry fires.
[/quote]

Good advice!!

Be sure the safety is on then run a cotton ball over the limbs. Splinters, cracks, etc. will pull cotton off the ball. Just have to look for the cotton fibers to find damage.

Be patient and keep track of all changes you have made to avoid confusion.

The Excocet is a deer killing machine!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
thelopeztribe

Post by thelopeztribe »

nchunterkw wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:19 am
gerald strine wrote:
Agree with #1 above. Trash those nocks. Excaliburs are made to shoot a flat nock. Seems like the string is slipping under or over the arrow when fired. Doesn't take much of a change to the serving or nock to have this go from OK, to bad.

Brace height seems OK to me. the 1/8" off the bumpers is more of a Matrix/Micro setting. On the older long limbs I kept mine just inside the top line on the rail....and yours is close to that.

What arrows do you have? I can send you some flat nocks if they are 0.300" ID

Thanks Keith. They are 20” pile driver carbon express arrows. I am taking one of the bolts to a local archery place to get some flat Nocks. I appreciate the offer though.

I will check the limbs.
thelopeztribe

Post by thelopeztribe »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:04 am
[quote=nchunterkw post_id=675870

Good advice!!

Be sure the safety is on then run a cotton ball over the limbs. Splinters, cracks, etc. will pull cotton off the ball. Just have to look for the cotton fibers to find damage.

Be patient and keep track of all changes you have made to avoid confusion.

The Excocet is a deer killing machine!!

Bill
[/quote]

Thanks Bill. Will do. Right now it isn’t killing any deer. It’s killing me instead. LOL
Normous

Post by Normous »

I can't really tell by looking at your nock photo but you could simply sand them flat (if there is enough material), and save yourself a trip to the Pro shop.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
thelopeztribe

Post by thelopeztribe »

Normous wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:04 pm
I can't really tell by looking at your nock photo but could simply sand them flat (if there is enough material), and save yourself a trip to the Pro shop.
Ha! Funny that you say that because last night I was starting to look at ways to make it flat, but then the safety side of me said this is how people get injured because they cut corners or do stupid things like this and so I decided not to pursue that. LOL I’m not saying that your suggestion is stupid, in fact I like the way you think. The shop didn’t have any flat nocks that fit the arrow so I just bought an Easton arrow with a flat knock so I can begin my process of elimination.