Bulldog 400 Thoughts ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowhunter10

Bulldog 400 Thoughts ?

Post by xbowhunter10 »

Hey guys , I would like to get some feedback from anyone who owns or has owned a Bulldog 400 . How is the dependability of this model compared to the Mega 405 and what can be expected for actual speeds with a 400 grain arrow ? I cant get any info on the Bulldog here locally so maybe you guys can fill me in . Thanks
Bcxbow

Re: Bulldog 400 Thoughts ?

Post by Bcxbow »

Dependability is great on the BD400 with no related problems to the 405. When it comes to speed using a 400gr arrow there are some variables such as string, noise dampening gadgets and so on. My BD400 with Flemish string, no dampening devices and 421gr arrow chronos 374fps, semi quiet for a crossbow and is extremely accurate and well balanced.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
xbowhunter10

Post by xbowhunter10 »

Wow I was hoping for more input on the Bulldog 400 ? I was considering adding a 400 to go with my Matrix 355 but I was wanting to get some honest feedback from fellow Excalibur guys first .
janesy

Post by janesy »

I don't own one, but I've read many reviews. I think your good to go it you want something faster. The bulldog stock shoulders beautifully and drastically reduces felt vibrations. It's deadly accurate, fast, reliable. You'll notice a difference cock it over your matrix 355. But overall size is probably pretty close.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Buckfever

Post by Buckfever »

I have a 400. Bought it used for 625, it was only a year old. Have shot 6 deer with it over the last two years. I use the Excalibur Diablo bolts and Bolt Cutter 150 grain broadheads. This season I shot two deer with the 150 grain Swhacker's. Both broadheads fly the same as field points. It makes a lot of noise, but I have no sound dampening devices on it. Out to 40 yards no deer is ducking the bolt, maybe further. Probably buy a new string for it, just so I have one and the stringer. Good luck with yours if you decide to buy one.
PABOWDUDE60

Post by PABOWDUDE60 »

I have a bulldog 400 also. 3 shots, 3 deer down. 2 dropped within sight of stand. Very fast. harder cocking than my other excal. Have to see if I can get a couple Boo strings for it and some cat whiskers. Nice feel in the shoulder when aiming. I'm 6' 3" tall.
09 Exomax
Lumizone
Boo String
Ground Pounder Mount
Crazy Farmer Alum Camo Arrows With Bolt Cutter BHs
2016 Bull Dog 400 diablo bolts bolt cutters
TheBraveArcher

Post by TheBraveArcher »

I'm a proud owner of one, bought my Bulldog 400 a few months ago to use during our Minnesota gun hunting season. I love this crossbow a lot. I havent added anything extra to it beyond what came with my package deal( REDS, Twilight scope, string leaches) and am using the Diablo bolts it came with also. I did put 200gr, 3blade VPA Terminator broadheads on and took a big doe with my set up.
It's not what I what call "quiet" by any means but these 460gr bolts fly fast enough to seem to not be an issue.
The doe I shot was about 23yds, fully on alert, she saw me and was trying to get down wind of my tree, broadside, full penetration passthrough stuck 6-7" into frozen ground. She hopped into the air once the broadhead slipped through but calmly walked 20 yards, laid on her side and passed away right in front of me.
I can see this being a beast for some people to manually cock, it does take some leg and back effort, I did buy the charger crank, I would suggest buying one also.
I sat in the tree for about 4 hours, crossbow locked and loaded in 20 degree Minnesota cold, it performed flawlessly when I squeezed that trigger. Also, I named mine "Spike" because it's a bulldog like the one from the old Tom and Jerry cartoons, so everyone else pick a different name for yours, I thought of it first !!!!! Haha, just kidding, but no.....not really
It's a great crossbow, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if you're considering it. One last thing, I was a compound vertical bow shooter for years, I now shoot recurve vertical bows exclusively, you wont find a cam or cable anywhere in my house. So when I researched crossbow manufacturers and models, Excalibur was the only company I found making recurve limb crossbows that were quality and could go head to head with ANY cam and cable crossbow out there. The difference being, Excalibur products outshine in the durability category. That's why you dont see ANY Youtube destruction challenge videos by ALL of those other crossbow manufacturers. I dare anyone who has ANY other Xbow to throw their bow up in the air 10 feet and let it hit the ground, see if you can even shoot it, let alone hit a bulls eye!
The ability to change your string, during the middle of your hunt, the simple bombproof design. I don't know why anyone would buy a crossbow that wasn't an Excalibur.