How many times can you use a bolt?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

How many times can you use a bolt?

Post by XB I GO »

When do you retire a bolt or throw it away? I have some that have hit a target bag a couple hundred times. I also have some that have been through a deer, hog and stuck in the ground more than a few times. If the vanes are good and the bolt flies straight is that all there is to it? I know you can replace vanes but can you "re-straighten" the shaft? Thanks
ko4nrbs

Re: How many times can you use a bolt?

Post by ko4nrbs »

I check mine periodically under a magnifying light. Look for cracks, chips, etc. Any cracks no matter how small will disqualify it from further use. So if no cracks are seen, chips, etc. are found, the fetching is in good shape and it is straight I continues to use it. It is just not worth it to use an arrow in questionable condition.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

If you're shooting a good Carbon arrow just keep a check on them, you can shoot them a lot before you have any issues with them. I don't replace anything on them until there's a reason to. When I shoot one through a deer I inspect it very well to make sure they're isn't any cracks or vanes loose from the pass through. I shoot them same arrow for my hunting purposes until it is broken or damaged.

Good Luck and have fun shooting.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I've shot the same arrow through the same deer a few times ! Lol
Carbon shafts are tough ! Inspect them closely and keep shooting !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

You cannot straighten a carbon shaft. As for what to watch for....cracks and splinters. Inspect the nock end for hairline cracks running back to front. If you have an arrow spinner (and you should) use it, and firmly grip the shaft, front and back, and twist in opposite directions while bending the shaft at the same time. Look for any fine cracks or damage while doing this.
Also, the spine of a shaft can be broken with no visible signs of damage. This is usually caused by an impact resulting in a rapid stop, usually a target butt. You'll know this happened when your arrows shot perfectly and one suddenly becomes a flyer.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bdog

Post by bdog »

What are you shooting, carbon fiber or aluminum?
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

paulaboutform wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:48 pm
This is usually caused by an impact resulting in a rapid stop, usually a target butt. You'll know this happened when your arrows shot perfectly and one suddenly becomes a flyer.
I had a strange thing happen this year that this might explain . I was shooting at a deer ranged at 34 yards had a good hold and shot at least 2 feet over its back . I retrieved the arrow and the blades were not opened so I'm thinking I just blew the shot . I grabbed the noc to turn it off and the arrow broke in two . I thought it must of hit the ground hard . The odd thing is it lines up right where my quiver holds it . That arrow was probably put in and out a least 25 times on that hunt . Maybe it fractured before the shot ? So from now on I will check them from the quiver.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

8ptbuk wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:45 pm
You mean through multiple deer, right? :wtf: It'd be a memorable hunt to shoot the same arrow through the same deer a few times. :lol: I've emptied a quiver more than once and if any of my arrows weren't broken, I'd probably have shot them again too. So anything is possible.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

It's harder on arrow shooting into a target than into a deer . Rocks, different story
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

DuckHunt wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:37 pm
8ptbuk wrote:
You mean through multiple deer, right? :wtf: It'd be a memorable hunt to shoot the same arrow through the same deer a few times. :lol: I've emptied a quiver more than once and if any of my arrows weren't broken, I'd probably have shot them again too. So anything is possible.

DuckHunt
Shoot a arrow thru a buck, Get down find the arrow stuck in the ground . Then track the buck up and find it bedded down and shoot it again with the same arrow ! No need to waste another good arrow ! Lol
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

"Emptied the quiver" now that's an honest hunter........ yea l done that ......a couple times in my hunting years .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I know one guy who used the same bolt on FIVE elk. That was an aluminum bolt. The bolt was snapped in half on the last elk , likely by leg movement, not impact.

It was his favorite, "go to" bolt, and he was so disappointed that it was broken. If you can believe it, he was asking around about aluminum welding!!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

8ptbuk wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:47 pm
DuckHunt wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:37 pm
8ptbuk wrote:

DuckHunt
Shoot a arrow thru a buck, Get down find the arrow stuck in the ground . Then track the buck up and find it bedded down and shoot it again with the same arrow ! No need to waste another good arrow ! Lol
Did the same thing. SHot a doe and hit her high near the spine. Found the arrow and had to shoot her again. "Blood On The Rail".......sounds like a movie title or a bad country song
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><