Done for the season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Doe Master
Site Admin

Done for the season

Post by Doe Master »

The weekend started with taking my Sister in law and her best friend out hunting on Saturday morning . They didn`t get to see any deer but Doris did get to see a fox . She had never went hunting but had showed interest so Rhonda invited her to just see what the allure of nature is all about . :)
I did get to see two deer but they passed behind me through the thick cedars .
So yesterday morning I was flying solo so I went to the spot where I saw them pass through . Well as fate had it the deer in turn went behind me again but this time in front of the stand I had sat in the day before . :?
After watching 6 deer do that I was a little puzzled . :)
I checked my trail camera and was greeted with this picture from the night before .
Since I was already at the bush I decided he was worth maybe a night sit .
Got in nice and early for the sit . Well at about 5 minutes after sunset heard footsteps coming my way via the thick cedars . The footsteps stopped not but 20 yards from me on the other side of a large cedar . Finally slowly made its way out . Not the buck of my dreams but a good legal flat top . She made her way along one of the trails . In one of the shooting lanes she trotted a few steps through at 25 yards . At 20 yards she freaked out about something I don`t know was about . Just being a deer !!!
But she did calm down and proceeded to walk parallel to me at 30 yards . She stopped in a opening . So I let my new assassin speak . The luminok shone bright all the way to her then the telltale whack of the broadhead doing its job . Watching her run off and heard her fall .
I phoned Mom to let her know I had got a deer and would be late . I got down and found my lit arrow in the snow . Followed the significant blood trail right to her . Then took the only selfie that truly matters while out hunting .
Now this is where the story takes a not so pleasant turn . The deer ran back into the thick of the cedars . This is a bush I have walked a lot in daylight but the freezing mist made my light practically useless for any distance . My sense of direction got messed up and all the trees looked the same . Where I came out I did not recognize in the very black light . Thank goodness my Brother and Sister in law were coming up and showed their flashlight in the dark showing me the way back to the trail . My feelings were that would have been the wrong way to go . So to say the least the stand now has a new name . Lost Boy . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Born2hunt

Re: Done for the season

Post by Born2hunt »

Congratulations on a nice freezer filler and memorable hunt! Thank goodness for help coming and you not getting lost in the black of night.
Matrix 350’s
Matrix 380
TT triggers
BE executioners & zombies
Spynal tapps
Vixenmaster strings.
Muzzy trocar, Muzzy 125g 4 blade
Wasp havalon HV
janesy

Post by janesy »

Congrats Kev.

Strange feeling when all the trees start to look the same eh? Glad you didn't need to spend the night. If your hunting 10 minutes from me, don't be afraid to reach out if you ever need a hand. :wave:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats on the nice harvest maybe she is the doe in the trail cam picture looks to be very mature. :thumbup:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats on your harvest, she looks like a mature doe by the size of her head. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the doe!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Nice flat top that's an old gal. ... basically the smartest deer in the woods . Congrats and happy holidays. I want to get out late season and doe hunt also.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Congrats on the late season doe!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Congratulations on a nice ending to the season.
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Hey Doemaster, me thinks you killed a cow moose by mistake. :silent:

Dave :lol: :lol:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

very nice, I love the snow!
frisky