Basic pressure canning

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BrotherRon

Basic pressure canning

Post by BrotherRon »

Ingredients
Pressure cooker
Clean canning jars I prefer wide mouth pint jars for canned venison.
Rings and new lids
½ teaspoon of non-iodized salt per pint jar
Black pepper
Cooking Instructions
The most important step in canning anything is to get to know your particular canner. I use a 22 quart Mirro brand pressure cooker, and have based these instructions on that model. Read the instruction booklet for your canner and tailor the amount of water and weight placement to it.
Begin by washing your jars, rings and lids in hot soapy water, then rinse well to make sure all soap residue is removed.
Trim your venison into approximately one inch square chunks. Try to get as much fat and fascia (silverskin) off of the meat as possible.
Pack the jars tightly with meat, leaving ½ to 1 inch of headspace above the meat. If you notice any large air pockets along the side of a jar, work a butter knife down the pocket to release the trapped air and then push the meat down to fill the space.
To the top of each jar full of meat, sprinkle on ½ teaspoon (for quart jars, use 1 full teaspoon) of non-iodized salt
. Add a shake of black pepper and that’s it. Done. Finished. Nothing else is necessary for basic canned venison; the meat will make its own juice as it cooks.
After filling the jars and adding the seasoning, wipe the rim of each jar clean with a damp paper towel to make sure the lid is able to make full contact with the rim. Place a clean lid on each jar and screw the ring on finger tight.
Pour the recommended amount of water for your canner into the pot (for my canner, 3 quarts). Add one tablespoon of white vinegar. Gently place the jars into the canner; it is ok if the sides touch each other.
Start with your burner on high until you see steam escaping from the lid vent of your pressure cooker. Once the steam starts, wait ten minutes in order for all of the air inside the cooker to reach an equal temperature. Venison cans at ten pounds of pressure close to sea level, fifteen pounds for high altitudes. For my canner, that means I place a ten pound weight over the vent. Follow the instructions for your canner, as methods may vary from brand to brand.
Once your weight starts to jiggle and release a little steam, reduce the heat to between low and medium. You want just enough heat to maintain a boil inside the cooker. When you are at the correct temperature, you should see a bit of steam or a wiggle from your weight every ten to fifteen seconds.
If using pint jars, set a timer for 1 hour and 15 minutes. For quarts, go 1 hour and 30 minutes. Once time is up, turn off the heat and walk away. Let the temperature inside the canner slowly reduce until steam no longer escapes from the vent and the lid of the canner is loose enough to remove.
Using a jar lifter, carefully move the jars from the canner to a folded towel on the countertop. Continue to let the jars cool for several hours to overnight. As they cool, the lids will sound off with a “pop” as they seal themselves to the jar. Once the jars have cooled, you can test the seal by pushing down on the center of the lid. If the lid sinks then springs back up, the jar did not seal. Simply place that jar into the fridge and eat it over the next few days. Sealed jars will have a concave appearance to the lid and will not move if you press gently on their lids. At this point, the ring is no longer necessary to hold the lid on. If you have a jar with a questionable seal, just remove the ring and see if the lid remains tightly sealed to the jar rim. If it does, then that jar good to go.
Store canned venison out of direct sunlight. A cabinet or pantry is perfect. Don’t allow the contents to freeze, as the resulting expansion might break the jar. I like to mark the lids with the canning date in black permanent marker. Keep your jars rotated with the freshest ones at the back of the cabinet.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
SALTYDOG

Re: Basic pressure canning

Post by SALTYDOG »

Nice read....I learned something new today, I have never canned venison but I have eaten some a few years back...pretty good too. :thumbup:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Lots of great information. Thanks for the thorough information. :thumbup:

Paul.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

I might have to try this next year. I can sauerkraut each fall and also can salsa and stewed tomatoes. Even did spaghetti sauce a few years back.

Curious if the canned venison works well in chilli?
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Sparkey wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:50 pm
I might have to try this next year. I can sauerkraut each fall and also can salsa and stewed tomatoes. Even did spaghetti sauce a few years back.

Curious if the canned venison works well in chilli?
I use ground venison in my chilli. (which I mix 2/3 venison to 1/3 pork)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Soooo, since this post I've taken 10lbs of wild boar ground and made a whack of taco meat from it. I pressure canned it and got 11 1/2 pint jars...without any additional liquid added. It's awesome! The texture is perfect and the taste is perfect. I was pressed for time so I had to use packaged seasoning instead of my own. The result was saltier than I like but that's what I always found with the packaged seasoning mix. I see more taco nights, taco salads and taco breakfast scrambles in my future. :thumbup:

Paul
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Question, can the salt be omitted from the recipe?
I was told to cut out all salt!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Riflemanz wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:31 pm
Question, can the salt be omitted from the recipe?
I was told to cut out all salt!
Short answer, yes. The salt can be omitted.
I got a taco seasoning mix recipe from Allrecipes.com and eliminated the salt from the recipe while increasing the chili. It's excellent and I would certainly use it for canning.

Paul
SALTYDOG

Post by SALTYDOG »

Agree with above post don’t need to use salt at all... :wave: