Ozonics

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Reinyrooster

Ozonics

Post by Reinyrooster »

I am contemplating purchasing a used Ozonics device. I have read both good and bad about them, but have seen many on the hunting shows speak highly about them.......of course that could just be because they are a sponsor.....don't know.
Can anyone here give real experiences with them?
Thanks for the input.
Onetimeonly x-->

Re: Ozonics

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

I use one on all my hunts for a good wind or a bad except in a steady rain. Not gonna say they are fool proof! They buy you time, it's a foreign smell one they may have not encounter before? Yes the ozone odor has spooked deer but the unit has presented me with opportunities that I believe the outcome would have been different. That said they are not cheap! I myself added an extra XL battery and second charging unit. Two fully charged batteries can get you through a morning and evening hunt. For long sits I go with the XL (5+hrs) battery life and shorter hunts I use the regular battery (3+hrs) that comes with the purchase. On quiet/still hunts you can flip the unit over or upside down to lessen the unit run noise. Your best bet is to hunt the wind!! All in all think of all the game that you've already winded just to reach your stand or blind location? I use one because I'm vested, easy to use compact and I could honestly say that many a deer were taken with the help of this unit...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have had too many very close encounters without using one to think I would gain anything, I'm also cheap & stubborn. :eusa-deadhorse:
I think it can work well if you do all of the other necessary disciplines, good luck, and I can't wait to read your reports.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

The're just like a thermacell !
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

I wouldnt bother..just play the wind....just remember lots of big bucks have been killed and will continue to be killed without these fancy gadgets...
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....just don't overeat the night before or morning of....also, avoid beans at all costs....you should be fine! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Sounds like maybe I'll save myself a few bucks and not but the Ozonics......or any more beans!!
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

My Dad is a retired PH and has had clients use the Ozonics. I asked him about them. He said the theory is sound and there are many recorded encounters where they seemed to work. He also says he specialized in getting close to game for almost 20 years before Ozonics became widespread and he was successful. There are a lot of things you can do to reduce odor and play on the animals nose. zDad said the Ozonics is a tool that can be used along with other things to reduce the broadcast of your presence, or something like that. Like other products, he said if you think it worked for you, you will brag that it is the greatest thing ever invented. If it doesn't work for you, you will be loud and clear that it is a farce. I asked what to do instead and he said "planning". If you are hunting from a fixed position, have two or three set-ups so you have the wind in your favor. Don't take the wrong wind and expect it won't matter. "Plan" what you will eat, how to dress and how to stay concealed. We wash our clothes scent free, use UV blocker and keep them in a sealed bag until we get to the hunting area. Then we change into the clean clothes and walk slowly and without a lot of sweat to our stand. We use scent-reducing sprays just before and right after getting into the blind or stand. I have never shot an animal with my bow more than 25 yards away and there have been over 2-dozen successful hunts. If we did our ritual and also used Ozonics maybe the odds would go up even more, but I still don't think you can get 100%. We've been messing with the HECS suits and they seem to get us a lot closer to animals than anything else if we watch the wind.

Post by newbie »

I dont worry about my smell in the woods. Play the wind best i can. ONLY thing i do is wash my outer layers in uv/scent free soap.
Have had many deer come in dead down wind from me. They knew something was up but kept coming. Movement or noise in my opinion is much worse then scent.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

I think when it comes to scent control many factors have to be considered.
First and foremost where you hunt.
If it is public or private land with very little human activity then scent control techniques are a must.
If it is as the place I hunt mostly ( Active Farm with a Horse Riding Stable ) human scent is everywhere. Therefore the deer seem to depend more on sight ( movement and abnormal objects / structures) and sound .
The only time scent seems to comes into play is when they see / hear something different.
Only then do they use scent to determine if it is a threat.

In my case I put more of my emphasis on concealment / movement / sight lines than anything else.
I find once you are busted due unnecessary movement deer in most case seem to error on the side of caution anyways.

And further to that I already carry too many gadgets while hunting to consider anything else. :lol: :crazy:
Dan/kingfish

Post by Dan/kingfish »

In 2014 Field and Stream had an article about ozone generators vs a drug sniffing dogs nose that I thought had some good controls and some scientific like approach. I own a first generation ozonics and if needed I use it but like others have said hunting the wind and basic scent elimination is key.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Let's not forget every time you touch something with your bare hands, game camera, climbing sticks, bow pull up rope, lifeline etc, your leaving human scent. The more the deer comes through your area which may be a frequent route and picks up on the scent your leaving the deer begin to pattern you as a possible threat. They will avoid the area, now your thinking they've gone nocturnal, possibly? Another thing to think about is you should leave your area the same way you've come in. Maybe quiet, slow reapplying a cover scent on your boots your clothing. The hunt may be over for the morning or evening but the scent you may or may not lay down when leaving is important too. A deer comes by a few hours after you've gone and picks up your scent your just continuing to educating them, something to think about...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott