" HUNTING "

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

elkaholic

" HUNTING "

Post by elkaholic »

I was fortunate to draw several species this past yr. Most of our big game hunts are lottery here in AZ.

I spent 15 days in Jan.- Feb. hunting Javelina Archery -Pistol- Crossbow -- no shots taken. Mostly doing day hunts as it was never more than an hrs drive to hunt. all spot and stalk.

I spent 5 days scouting an 15 days hunting archery bull elk. --- no shots taken. tent camped the whole trip diy - I spent most morning chasing screaming bulls- (if they decided to bugle that day) and evenings are for sitting a water tank or seep.

I spent 2 weeks hunting in N.Wisc. hunting deer with my crossbow ---- no shots taken. Most days were sitting in a ladder stand. mornings- arfternoons - evenings - even all dayers. A couple days in a ground blind during rain or snow. tossed in a couple days fishing- walleye- musky

I just spent 15 days rifle Coues Whitetail deer hunting here in central Arizona- camped out - scouted 3 days and hunted 10 - then Christmas break 3 days and then hunted the last 5 days. -- no shots taken - hiked /packed countless miles in the desert foothills and Mtns., mostly glassing and stalking.

On every trip but wisc. I always carried a lion tag so basically a lot of lion hunting every yr.

OTHER AVAILABLE HUNTS IF DRAWN-- bear-turkey-antelope -bison-big horn sheep

toss in critters hunts-- coyote bobcat fox racoon rabbit coatimundis - not to mention waterfowl quail dove etc.

One can hunt pretty much yr.round.

So I was asked " Why do you go hunting ,if you don't shoot something?"

It's kinda a difficult question to answer , if you think about it! Sport- Food -Pleasure- just to kill something

Things have changed over the last 50 Yrs of hunting- use to be for food- then sport and now mostly pleasure. its not about killing something.

Always has been something planned and anticipated. shoot a limit of birds - fill the tag- hunt morning till dusk and get in every last minute.

Never considered myself a trophy hunter- though i have a few nice trophies- no man cave with lots of mounts- got 2 deer mounted and my sons antelope- kept a few racks.

Now its a new yr. and time to start all over agin with the planning and anticipation, and the "HUNTING".

I don't know what your answer would be . this regards big game-- Its something I like to do! Spending time matching myself against mother nature. My time is running out , so to speak at 66 , this yr. Now I'd like to at least try to take a mature animal during my time spent hunting.
when down to the last few days anthing but a spike will do to fill freezer.

I guess the best answer now-- no shots taken - doesn't mean i didnt have the greatest hunt of the yr. or of my lifetime

Starting yr . off with 2 Javelina tags ! let the good times roll. so to speak!!
Onetimeonly x-->

Re: " HUNTING "

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

For me I'm just thankful that I was given the opportunity to experience hunting at a young age. This year I was given permission from my neighbor who's land I exclusively hunt. To take another neighbor and his 11 year old son deer hunting, no shots were taken although I'm thinking he's hooked, welcome to the show.

I spent many hours in a tree this years reminiscing my life and others. I was fortunate enough to harvest two buck and a doe. Learning from each sit, the meat will be shared with family and friends. The harvest is a gift one not taken lightly, I too am counting down the sits, god willing they will be endless...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
janesy

Post by janesy »

I love the time spent. I love the things you get to see, the way animals react or don't react to you.
I have never, and will never be worried if I don't take a shot. But for me I may be chasing that rush that comes over you when you realize the little snap you heard 5 minutes ago was actually the big Tom, and he's been staring at the back of your head the whole time trying to figure you out.
Or when the 1200 pound bull moose slips between the trees without making a sound, and you realize you haven't taken a breath in a minute.
Or the muskie that followed your bait while you were not paying attention and joking with your boatmate and you wondered to your self..."why is this log floating by"... Holy crap get the Beckman!

Nothing makes me vibrate with uncontrolled excitement now in my grown up adult looking like life. Except these little runs ins with nature. That's what I'm chasing.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I'm still in it for the Meat! Lol

Tree stand time is soul cleansing! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Carnivorous wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:15 pm
I'm still in it for the Meat! Lol

Tree stand time is soul cleansing! :)
Nothing better than sitting in a tree stand , and just let your mind drift !! :thumbup:

Dave :wave:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Well, look at it this way, enjoying the outdoors is always worth it AND your last years worth of hunting activities pretty much would cover half of my LIFETIME "bucket list"! :lol:

I'm :mrgreen: with envy!!!
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I hunted once this year because of health, I would take any time I could in the woods without taking anything, just being out there is that meaningful to me. I have learned more from sitting in the woods than I have from dragging a deer out. :lol: :lol: Best time afield is anytime afield!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

Hey gary! i admire your stamina & perseverance!
I hunted yesterday with the xbow & nothing was moving (1st time i've deer hunted in january). i enjoyed the hell out of it! i passed on does and small bucks early and then never had anything get close later, had a clip problem on a DANDY on opening day of rifle, and then just flat out missed a doe with my usually reliable smokepole in december so it looks like tag soup for the first time in a long time. i remember now that i really dislike the taste of tag soup! i just turned 66 and never thought that the meat determined the success of a hunt but now as i start to wonder how many hunting seasons i have left i'd like to get a few more deer. a number of friends tell me their passion for the hunt has ebbed as they age but i'm not feeling that yet.
hope you have a great year with many more to come.
mark
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Sometimes I like to sit and wait to see what comes. Sometimes I like to try to stalk something. The whole thing is fun. Taking about it, practicing shooting, putting out blinds and checking cameras. It's the whole deal that I like. It sounds like you had a great adventure.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Looks like you had a great year with all the adventures you had and all the scenery you were able to experience even without taking an animal. I have been fortunate over the years to have the opportunity each year to take several deer. I'm sure I'd be like you if I were traveling to new areas to hunt and do a lot more walking and watching than having the opportunity to kill something. I've never been on an elk hunt but we have some in our state for viewing and I'm sure it would be pretty thrilling hearing one bugle and trying to make a stalk on it whether a shot opportunity came or not. Good luck this year and I hope you get to spend as much time in the woods as you did last year.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

I've lived 90 % of my life in the Big City --Phoenix ,Arizona. "hunting" was pretty much weekends and Holidays - here agin if your lucky enough to draw a tag.

It can take several yrs. to get drawn, especially when your picky about what - where and when. -like bull elk archery- or dec. rutting whitetails.

Chances are I'll never draw a big horn tag- I haven't drawn an antelope tag in 18 yrs.

Like most of you - a working mans vacation was usually hunting or fishing

I'm usually driving 1-2-3 hrs or more , just to get to camp.

The time - money etc. spent on food- gear-gas -, just to spend a few days in the field-I Wish I knew the amount of money spent on
Just ice!- LOL

" :mrgreen: " Envy --- The hunts In Wisc. were great-- basically walk out of the house and your hunting- hell 1/2 the time coulda took a shot off the porch.

But then i think about all the places I've seen and hunted here in Arizona and for me, I realize I've been blessed beyond belief.

I hope everyone here fills their dream hunts - bucket lists - whatever it may be - be it elk- moose antelope - bear- bison - big horn sheep or that squirrel thats chewing up your electrical.