Newbie Incoming!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xJohnson

Newbie Incoming!

Post by xJohnson »

So I've just Purchased my first Crossbow in the hopes to begin hunting this year,

I purchased a Matrix Bulldog 330 package, and was kind of hoping to gain some more knowledge on not only my bow but also
about being a first year hunter and what to prepare for/expect.

So far I've gotten an Excalibur EX-SHIELD Case, extra set of Diablo bolts(with Practice heads), Wax, Bolt Puller, and a Rinehart 18-1 Broadhead Target.

This will be my first season hunting and I wanted to gain as much knowledge as humanly possible as I don't know many hunters personally to ask myself.
Kind of curious what i should be looking out for in terms of gear and opinions on what to avoid/must-have and some advice on the different styles of Blinds or if I need one at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
janesy

Re: Newbie Incoming!

Post by janesy »

Welcome, where ya at? :wave:

Edit: Local guy, good call on the excal.
You'll love the BD330. Firm believer it is the best all around bow in excal's lineup right now
Last edited by janesy on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

You're gonna need some good broadheads that match the weight of your practice tips. You need enough that you can shoot some and save some for the hunt. They will tear up your target bag but if you only shoot a few for verification it should be ok. We have bought some heavy sheet foam, almost like rubber and made a little frame for it. We put it two feet in front of the target bag. It slows down the bolt so the broadhead is not buried into the bag target and impossible to pull out. We've used a haybale for the same purpose in front of the bag. You can always get a target that is rated for
broadheads.

I would get a spare string - just in case. And you'll need a stringer rope. This makes it easy to put a string on if something somehow happens on the hunt which would most likely be human error of some sort. If you're hunting from a fixed position a set of shooting sticks or a tripod will help keep your crossbow ready and steady.

Are you hunting from a blind, treestand or open ground? There are different things needed for each of those situations. Are you deer hunting?

Welcome aboard!
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome

You have a lot to learn grasshopper.
I would say to get to know your equipment first. Shoot you bow as often as you can, get comfortable with it, learn how your bow shoots. Get a system of cocking, safety on, arrow in. Know your brace height and check it often, your string will stretch and you need to adjust it.
You have a great target so wear it out.
Read what you can on here and watch YouTube vids and ask questions. Learning to hunt is a long and sometimes frustrating sport. Make sure of your shots, trust your equipment and know your limits.

We all started somewhere, think safety first and find someone to help teach you .
SALTYDOG

Post by SALTYDOG »

Welcome to the forum :)
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Welcome aboard, there’s a lot of knowledge on this forum and plenty of members willing to offer advice so don’t be shy about asking questions. :wave:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome aboard. Let folks know where you're from, what you plan to hunt, etc. You'll get a ton of help from the members here.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum :wave: :D
Just type in what your looking for in the search bar....hours of reading :thumbup:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Welcome to the forum. Look up making a bag target. Save the 18/1 for broadheads. Bag targets are free and easy to make. They will stop any arrow. Practice shooting with field points first. Then move to broadheads. Your field points will probably not shoot the exact same as a broadhead, so you'll have to resight for them. Keep the questions coming.
Hank
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome! You will need a stringer to adjust your brace height contact Boo and get a Danny Miller stringer
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

Welcome to the forum! The guys have done well advising you!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for all your questions. :thumbup:

Dave :D
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard...
and congratulations on what I think is the best all around crossbow for target practice and hunting.
Easy enough to cock for an afternoon of target shooting and big enough for any North American big game hunting. :thumbup:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Be respectful of the damage a crossbow string can do to your hands! Avoid the triangle of pain!
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
xJohnson

Post by xJohnson »

Thanks for all the tips! I've looked into making my own bag target and am looking forward to trying it out!

I've never given much thought onto how I would hunt (Tree, Blind, Free) I will be hunting Deer, and hopefully turkey when season comes.
I'm from the Kitchener Area in Ontario.

I appreciate all the tips so far! I'll definitely have to look into getting that D.M. Stringer!
I'm really to happy to hear so many positive reviews about the bow I got, the salesman almost convinced me to buy Compound instead (Barnett Recruit) and i just fell in love with this bow the moment I shot it. Very pleased with my purchase :D

I look forward to reading as much as I can in here and chatting with many of you in the future! :)

Thanks again everyone!