Gen 2 Micro down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sirwill

Gen 2 Micro down

Post by sirwill »

The other day, I preformed my end of season inspection and maintenance on my 2017 Micro 335... After taking the string off, I noticed small chips of flaking finish near the tips of both limbs... Not a big deal, after all it's a tool used for hunting... I did cause enough excitement for me to look very carefully at both limbs with detail... Then I found it, the dreaded 1/2" splinter in one limb... I could not believe what I had found... I thought must of the Micro limb issues had been resolved on the Gen 2 and newer models...

I disassembled the limbs from the riser and had my wife carefully pack them for shipping to Excalibur's warranty department in Michigan... I'm concerned that the new limbs my be built to last longer but with the trade off being loss of speed or power in the limbs... I'f you look at the new models of Excalibur's flagship speed bows, they all have longer limbs... Only time will tell and this is my first experience with Excalibur's warranty department.
mr meat

Re: Gen 2 Micro down

Post by mr meat »

You should see no loss of power and will be happy with the service from Excalibur
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

You dont have to be an engineer as you said the tiny micro limbs have a ton of stress on them and are more prone to fracture unlike other longer limb models. I have a first generation micro that l put thru hell lots of use and no issues. Excalibur will make it right for you ...good as new . I would advise any serious hunter to simply have a back up bow especially with the more problematic micro.l wont down the micro it's a cool bow but if it was the end of the world and l had only one bow l think l would pick my matrix or exo for sure.Dont forget we only see the bad on the forum ...lots a micros out there standing the test of time.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I have 4 micros currently. I've played with them in every configuration imaginable before I started having the rails machined.
I had one limb splinter on me on my 370 micro, decocking it with the stringing aid attached but not placed properly. My own fault
The micro gets the short end of the stick, but I've seen the exact opposite to be true. Some bows tend to have more problems than others it seems.
You'll be better than you were before in no time. :thumbup:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
sirwill

Post by sirwill »

Please explain why you would have the rails machined??? To gain a little clearance for the string?
janesy

Post by janesy »

sirwill wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:54 pm
Please explain why you would have the rails machined??? To gain a little clearance for the string?
I've started making custom bows for more or less speed.
Just the length of the rail really
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Well I only have one and it also eventually got a cracked limb. I ordered a new set and when they sent it it came with several other pieces that made the attachment different than the original. Bow seems to shoot better now. I wish they had sent out this little kit before the limb cracked lol
As far carrying a spare bow well I just bought a 2000 dollar compound and I have the micro which was over 1000 dollars when I got it. So ya I should have just bought 2 extras so I have spare in case one breaks that's too funny but probably good advise now a days !!
sirwill

Post by sirwill »

What was the new attachment like? Also, in which way did your Micro shoot better after the new installation? Thank you
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

The ones I have got come with longer spacers for the limb straps and a little longer screws .
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

hunter with MS wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:15 am
The ones I have got come with longer spacers for the limb straps and a little longer screws .
This ! I am not sure why but I have chased accuracy with this bow for about 4 years. When I got the new limbs with the different spacers it started to shoot as I expect an excal to shoot. I don't know if was the new limbs or the different spacers but the new limbs appear to be the same as the old the only change is the different attachment point I guess.

I should add I have not chrono'd it so I'm not sure if there is a speed change but for me I don't care as I'm more interested in the accuracy than speed.
sirwill

Post by sirwill »

I must say, compared to my old Ibex the Micro 335 was a bit touchy to sight in... It's not as forgiving nor as smooth to shoot... That's the trade off for such a compact bow that the Micro is... The Micro reminds me of "Mike Tyson" small, compact and a power house with tremendous knock down power... I'm hoping the new limb set will tame this beast down and add some forgiveness, smoothness and still finish like Tyson.

Post by newbie »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:10 am
hunter with MS wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:15 am
This ! I am not sure why but I have chased accuracy with this bow for about 4 years. When I got the new limbs with the different spacers it started to shoot as I expect an excal to shoot. I don't know if was the new limbs or the different spacers but the new limbs appear to be the same as the old the only change is the different attachment point I guess.

I should add I have not chrono'd it so I'm not sure if there is a speed change but for me I don't care as I'm more interested in the accuracy than speed.
This is not normal for a Micro.
I have two a Gen 1 and a Raid. Both are tack drivers with or without the recoil plate spacers. My gen 1 Ihavent had to change a thing since i put my luepold scope on and sighted it in the fall they were released.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I actually got out my 20 year old exomag to sight in with the 335 when the new limbs came. I was expecting the micro to still suck and was going to just hunt with the old bow again as it has killed many animals and really never given me any problems until a limb split about 4 years ago. I was happily surprised when the micro was shooting on par with exomag. I decided to hunt with the 335 and killed a nice mature 8 point in Michigan with a great shot at 30 yards. I actually waited before the shot as my confidence shooting this bow was not good. Man was I happy when the arrow hit exactly where I was aiming on an animal .
It may not be a normal problem but for me it sure wasn't any help to be told that over and over lol