OT: GradDaddy's Gun

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: OT: GradDaddy's Gun

Post by Boo »

Very cool thread! How can anyone not love old guns, especially when there's a close knitted history involved?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:59 am
Very cool thread! How can anyone not love old guns, especially when there's a close knitted history involved?
Especially old guns that have been used! Imagine the stories they could tell. It knows exactly how many time you fell asleep on your watch, or that time you were lost in the bush... But you weren't lost in the bush, just scouting a new area :lol:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Great like up of firearms that .308 is beautiful I think I would put a modern Leoupold on it and box up the vintage scope and make it my primary go to gun.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:59 am
There is something about the richness of walnut and the luster of good bluing that just hits my button. The fit and finish and workmanship on the classic old guns is just about spam. I can look and drool for hours.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

XB I GO wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:07 pm
I texted Dad the picture and now he said "Weaver K Series from 40s or 50s".
I concur...
flightattendant100 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:21 am
They are NOT very bright. You can see through a Leupold or Redfield long after that one will be dark. But none tougher!
And also with this.
It had to be tough to last from the year it was installed, all those many hunts, and into my hands!!

Suggestion from another site on the scope was that perhaps the branding is located under the rear mounts.
Be a spell before I check that though. It's currently sighted in well, and I don't much want to fiddle with that at the moment...

And when I do hunt it, I will likely take this scope off and toss a Leupold on it just for the hunt.
My eyes have been damaged, and now with age, it is even worse.
Going to have to find one at high noon if I have to use the original scope these days!! :lol:

Also believe we may have identified Granny's Gun.
Appears like it may well be a Remington Model 14 as pictured below:

All I recall was that is was a pump action, had a rounded & ridged forearm, and was (I think) a 30 caliber of some kind.
I've sent a request to my Uncle to see if he can verify...
And maybe if he has another picture or two...
Be nice to know.
She took a LOT of elk & deer with that old rifle in her time.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Nice very nice...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
flightattendant100

This is my grandfathers Winchester Model 55 in 30 WCF ( 30-30) I got it after he passed away.Image The pic is dated 1927. It is in Terlinga,Tx. Thats about 10 hours from Ft. Worth on the freeways and in a modern vehicle. Not sure how long the trip in this.Image Will work on pics some moreImage
flightattendant100

[imghttps://i.postimg.cc/6ppB8whn/IMG-1092.jpg][/img]
flightattendant100

Well got them all on but in a hodge-podge. At least they are on here
flightattendant100

This is my Dads Winchester Model 12. Its a "Heavy Duck" . Most Heavy Duck had a solid rib, this one does not and is a plain barrel. !2 ga. 3" chamber Full choke. It is in really nice shape. Pretty sure Dad got it in '58 or '59. From Nash Hardware in downtown Ft. Worth.Image

You can tell the Heavy Duck models because the wall thickness on the barrel is about twice what a standard model 12 is.
grouse

Post by grouse »

I haven't fired most of the guns in my locker for years, so buying another gun seems pointless, but seeing this gun makes me want to get one just like it. I don't have a single lever action in my collection, so maybe that could be my excuse.
axiom
350 SE
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Inherited my maternal grandfathers after my uncle died and his sons wanted to have nothing to do with guns . :)
First one is a Savage Stevens in 30-30 as a bolt action . This model was made supposedly between 46-49 then it went to Savage as the sole name . He supposedly bought the two guns right after getting back from the war .
The second is a Marlin in 22 . The deluxe version because it came with a peep sight . Mom remembers him teaching kids how to shoot with it in the early 50`s at the Gun club that is now Goldstream provincial park outside of Victoria .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Some rather Awesome Gems coming out now Folks!! :thumbup:
Love it!
Keep them coming!!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

This was not a family heirloom but is one of my prized classic firearms A Remington model 12 pump .22 cal , octagon Barrel after market flip up peep sight, it is heck on squirrels and I hunt with it every year only in mild weather to protect the finish .
I only use standard velocity ammo as High velocity ammo did not exist when this firearm was made it is a tack driver at 25 yards with iron sights and brings me much joy to carry it afield.
Sorry for the link posting pictures never works for me.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/vintage-remington-model-12-gerald-strine.html
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

My 12 gauge Ithica Mod 37 I bought it when I was 16 yrs old and still have it at 55 .
I refinished the stock as all the finish was flaking off but is ia as solid a gun as the day it was bought new after all these years of service.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/1-into-the-dawn-gerald-strine.html
Hunt eat sleep repeat.