blackout finish

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

otisbrazwell

blackout finish

Post by otisbrazwell »

what would be the way to remove the black out finish off the rail ? my riser is gen 1 with no black out looking to match. thanks
foofoo

Re: blackout finish

Post by foofoo »

if its that spray on liner type finish they used on special models had while back i would soak it in brake fluid a few days. it will fall right off. word though... i have a hunch many of these special black out models are really just blem parts that got sprayed over. you may have anodize under it or boogers. i love how those models got pushed along as limited or special or something. its just paint.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Acetone. All finishes I have removed have been anodized grey underneath.
The anodize was lightly scuffed under the powder coated on the BD380 I stripped last. But not bad at all.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

I will try dot 3 first :thumbup: thanks men.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Carefully, it may not be anodized under that finish.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

well I stripped the blackout finish off with zip strip there was mossy oak camo under it. raw aluminum rail now :wtf: .deck
nice and smooth going to think on it for a bit. :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

otisbrazwell wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:51 pm
well I stripped the blackout finish off with zip strip there was mossy oak camo under it. raw aluminum rail now :wtf: .deck
Have you considered having your mainframe polished and anodized?
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

Boo wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:57 pm
otisbrazwell wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:51 pm
Have you considered having your mainframe polished and anodized?
don I would really like that . head me in the right direction :thumbup:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Thia ia where I had mine done. But you should be able to get it done locally.
http://www.sti-coatings.com/#&panel1-2

Advice. Areas not polished will be abrasive when anodized. So I would have the deck of the mainframe polished and at minimum, the first flat where the rope cocker rides on polished. You could go whole hog and get all of the sides of the mainframe polished s welk as the deck before anodizing for a really slick look. Do not get the bottom of the mainframe polished because you want the stock to grip the mainframe. I had a couple of risers anodized but in retrospect, if I do it again, I will have it powder coated. Because the mainframe is a different material, it does not come out the same color as the mainframe. It's going to be easier to get a closer match with powder coating.
Hopefully some others who had some anodizing work done will toss in their comments.
I had my 318 and my 405 done in type III black and they look awesome! The best money spent on a crossbow!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Myself and a couple other members have had good luck with CeraKote Elite coating on the rails and risers. Very smooth and durable
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

janesy wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:57 pm
Myself and a couple other members have had good luck with CeraKote Elite coating on the rails and risers. Very smooth and durable
X2 :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

I have 2 places 30 mins from me that do the coating. brownells sell it to and you use a air brush.has any one done it
them self?
janesy

Post by janesy »

otisbrazwell wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:45 pm
I have 2 places 30 mins from me that do the coating. brownells sell it to and you use a air brush.has any one done it
them self?
I've done durakote. Turned out shitty. Stripped is and had cerakote applied

Cerakote is a very specific applied product. The results are based directly on the skill and effort of the installer.
Brownells sells aircure, which is very basic compared to Elite. Comes down to thickness and durability. It's all in the prep, if you can't dip and sandblast, don't bother.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

the black finish about fell off soaking it in brake fluid for 2 days. just hit it with a tooth brush every few hours. my riser must have been a blemished riser because it had been grinded at the recoil plates. Duracoat is easy peasy. you can also get it in a 2 part spray can. loads of YouTUBE vids. just scuff with some 600 grit and spray or if you have annodize it will stick right to it. they even make a version with a slick lubrication added. the good Cerakote needs to be prepped proper and baked by someone that has some time with it and costs more. Image
janesy

Post by janesy »

foofoo wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:26 pm
the black finish about fell off soaking it in brake fluid for 2 days. just hit it with a tooth brush every few hours. my riser must have been a blemished riser because it had been grinded at the recoil plates. Duracoat is easy peasy. you can also get it in a 2 part spray can. loads of YouTUBE vids. just scuff with some 600 grit and spray or if you have annodize it will stick right to it. they even make a version with a slick lubrication added. the good Cerakote needs to be prepped proper and baked by someone that has some time with it and costs more. Image
That's the "fixed" riser. Allows more room for the limbs. No issues there
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme