Newbie wants to get it right

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lacpercher

Newbie wants to get it right

Post by lacpercher »

I am new to crossbow hunting at the age of 72. I have not purchased my Excalibur yet but it won't be long. I am limited to the number of models out there to try (end of year stocking) and the number of dealers that stock different models of Excalibur's close to my home. I whitetail hunt in Vilas County in northern Wisconsin and shoot out of a ladder stand or blind. I have used a compound bow and know my limitations are 30 yards where I hunt. I have shot the Banshee and like the feel, the compactness plus I can use the rope cocker without too much trouble (cocking effort 127 lbs, 12.5" power stroke). Is this enough bow for all the situations I may encounter? On my short list also is the 335 Raid which I have not shouldered yet. (cocking effort 135 lbs, 10" power stroke). Interested to find out the feel and if I will be able to cock this bow without a mechanical tool. Does the additional 26 FPS make that much difference in the field? Both bows I have listed have the sound suppression because I feel it is important. Correct me if I am wrong on that? I know so much of this is a personal preference, but I want to get it right the first time and would appreciate your input.
One trail leading home many more leading into the woods
xcaliber

Re: Newbie wants to get it right

Post by xcaliber »

Excalibur makes these to hunt with, deer and black bear size game are no issue for the smaller models. Shot placement is still key, and should be even when gun hunting in my opinion. I think the string bumpers are all the suppression you need as well. Don't overlook the grizzly, or cub, and take a peek at the Trading Post, some great deals from really good folks always listed.

Good luck in your search,
Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Greetings neighbor :) I do my hunting in price county.
I own the Matrix 310 (about the same as the Grizzly)
Big enough to hunt with in any Wisconsin woods, and easy enough to cock that I can spend a couple hours target shooting without any problems.
I am 61 and have had hernia and back surgeries. 5' 4" 155# dripping wet. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome! Any bow in the Excalibur line up will do what you want it to do
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Welcome to the forum, the best bow for you would be the one that fits you the best . they are all nice bow . get one that is easy to cock so you can shoot it with out wearing your self out just don't get caught up in the speed race . I am 76 and shoot several weights and have to use a crank to cock the heavy ones . go to a shop that you can try them. good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

W.M.
janesy

Post by janesy »

The 308 Banshee is a great little bow, I have one.
However, if you are full sized guy, say over 5'6". You may not like the shorter length of pull.

I would suggest you find a Micro 315. Shoulders the same as the 335 raid, but the pull is very manageable. Nothing in NA you can't take with it, no problem.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
USAF Ret in Wis

Post by USAF Ret in Wis »

Welcome to crossbows. I grew up in Price County and just moved from there last year.

Shoot a few bows if you can.

Good luck with your choice.
Craig
US Air Force 1984-2007
Excalibur Assassin
Scorpyd Orion 135
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I think you are right on the money with the 308 Banshee , Short ,Serenity it is very compact ,light weight ,easy to handle and you can do all the bow maintenance at home your self with out the need of a bow press or pro shop. the short draw length is a great advantage .
It has all the power to harvest all north American game at reasonable bow ranges and I think you can get stock extenders if needed for length of pull.
This bow is on my want list for sure I am shooting an Excal 350 as my go to bow at the moment but this bow is high on my list in the near future .
You will be very pleased with it i am sure.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

My neighbor bought a micro 315 and he has no issues cocking or decocking it. It is light and shoots great. I enjoyed shooting it; no noise/vibration noted without any suppression stuff on it. Not sure you can go wrong with any excal you choose though, they will kill a deer with good shot placement. Hope you find one that meets your needs.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

i think any of the excal bows will take down whatever you want to hunt in WI but at 72 (i'm not too far behind you in age btw) you won't be getting any stronger. you might want to consider getting an assassin for the crank for the future when you may find the cocking more challenging. it would certainly make practicing more enjoyable if you like to play with your bow in the off season. my .02
mark
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Although the Assassin has some features that make it attractive, I don't think it is the best option for a newbie. It requires some maintenance that is far from the simplicity first time owners realize with other models. I don't have an Assassin yet, so hopefully someone that does, and has owned previous models will chime in. Getting a model that you need a crank for is not a bad option either, and the price is still less than what an Assassin would cost.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

There's a Cub on the trading post that's a real good starter bow. Great price with the upgrades too.
Great seller too.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks