Cold wave and animal survival

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Cold wave and animal survival

Post by longbow joe »

Boy this is the coldest pretty much ever in our parts l sure hope the deer and turkeys can take this freeze. At least there's an end in sight. I feel for anything outside tonight and tomorrow. Fed the squirrel and birds extra today animals were very active before the blast came.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
hunter with MS

Re: Cold wave and animal survival

Post by hunter with MS »

Most if not all animals /wildlife can survive the extreme cold as they limit their movement . Most will feed extra before the cold hits in my area deer will herd in dense areas where tree like spruce , pine and hemlock boughs are close to being on the ground . Turkeys will be alright if the cold snap don't last that long . most deer have a layer of fat that will keep them warm .
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

Read an article about how cickadee's crawl into little knot holes and go into a form of suspended animation every night.it lowers their body temp by 15°. One of my favorite critters to watch while out hunting.
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

When it was 8°F last night my Golden Retriever preferred to be outside. He loves it outside when its unbearably cold to us. As soon as he goes out he plants his face in the snow and starts plowing. Then goes belly up and rolls around a while. Its frigid to us, but he's totally enjoying himself. My chocolate lab is fine with the cold as well, but he'd prefer to be inside where the people and food are more more plentiful.

But that's single digit (F) cold. I'm sure things would change when it gets as cold as other folks are seeing the past couple of days.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

I had two hydraulic cylinders snap simultaneously today while carrying a lift of drywall (basically nothing) on a forklift I can only assume it was cold related as the machines just seem to check out and punch the clock after a couple weeks of this stuff.

Which makes it amazing to see that the wildlife manages and toughs it out. This weather is not really new around here. Year after year the same bucks and does are caught on camera. But with that said, they really don't know any different. I would expect a deer would have a hard time with the cold if it typically didn't see sustained cold weather. The ones who see it each year, I don't think it hurts them much.
Turkeys, they could honestly care less what the weather is doing.

On the other hand, sometimes I wonder if we "humanize" things a little too much. This was nature's way of culling the herd, so to speak, before we came along and figured we should do it for her lol.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme