Where are the "kids" crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Where are the "kids" crossbows

Post by Boo »

I'll let you guys in on something that I hope I don't get into crap over. Excalibur has struggled and still struggles today to find something that would cost the public a few hundred dollars and at the same time have a reasonable degree of safety, quality and reliability.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:14 pm
I'll let you guys in on something that I hope I don't get into crap over. Excalibur has struggled and still struggles today to find something that would cost the public a few hundred dollars and at the same time have a reasonable degree of safety, quality and reliability.
That's a big pill to swallow. They cannot afford to offer something of lesser quality, just to keep the price down. Their business model needs to maintain the same level across the board .
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

janesy wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 pm
On Ontario it makes no sense what so ever to own a kids bow. The gap from when they could use it alone and when they could legally hunt with one by themselves is basically non existent.

So you'd be better off to buy a 308 short. Cock it for them, since you are sitting with them the whole time anyway. Then when they can cock it themselves... You don't need to buy another bow.

The reality is, no kid should be using a crossbow anyway unless an adult is in arms reach at all times. And I'd be willing to bet money that most personal injuries to the youth would come from cocking/decocking them anyway.
When I started sitting in the blind/double tree stands with my son @ 13, he was using my lightest bow, the Wolverine. He used it until I bought him a Matrix 350LE as a high school graduation gift.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Czy_Horse wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:18 am
janesy wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 pm
On Ontario it makes no sense what so ever to own a kids bow. The gap from when they could use it alone and when they could legally hunt with one by themselves is basically non existent.

So you'd be better off to buy a 308 short. Cock it for them, since you are sitting with them the whole time anyway. Then when they can cock it themselves... You don't need to buy another bow.

The reality is, no kid should be using a crossbow anyway unless an adult is in arms reach at all times. And I'd be willing to bet money that most personal injuries to the youth would come from cocking/decocking them anyway.
When I started sitting in the blind/double tree stands with my son @ 13, he was using my lightest bow, the Wolverine. He used it until I bought him a Matrix 350LE as a high school graduation gift.
I think we are making the same point, you wouldn't have gone and bought him a wolverine of his own at that age, and then bought him a faster bow 4 years later.
Especially when as a mentorship situation where you share to bow up to 15 anyway. Ontario anyhow.

Regardless, kids bows would be a losing venture for any manufacturer.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Interesting thread, I can tell you this is something we struggle with every year. We would love to offer a low cost youth crossbow but the reality is the cost to make it is not much different than making a hunting model and the volume has always been so low that it does not make sense from a business perspective.

The cruel reality is crossbow companies need to make a profit to survive in this very competitive market so the focus is always on high volume models. I personally would love if we made a version of the Vixen again but I know we would sell few and the price would be about the same as the Grizzly so not really economically feasible.

If it was made in China it could be way cheaper but that's not something we are willing to do.

Peter