Where are the "kids" crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Where are the "kids" crossbows

Post by XB I GO »

After looking at tons of vertical bows and crossbows at ATA I have been discussing archery with my friends at school and on other forums (not all hunting or shooting). Something finally stood out. A lot of the vertical bow companies make a "youth" model. They call it that but actually most are useful for a smaller person whatever their age. These "packages" are usually called RTS or RTH which means ready to shoot or ready to hunt. That means you take it out of the box and there is very little to put together. Then it is ready to shoot accurately but might need to be sighted in. Some even come sighted in at a certain setting. These "packages" always look cool because they company is trying to reach my generation. They are always a good price for everything compared to a "flagship" bow or buying all the components separately.

Where are the crossbows like that? I have a lot of interested friends, some to hunt and some just to shoot. What I hear most is TOO EXPENSIVE which means the parents said that because they would be paying for it. Then I hear TOO HEAVY and TOO STRONG which means they cannot cock it. Then less times I hear TOO BIG and LOOK LAME.

My brother is 12 and I am 13. We had a lot of bow companies at ATA showing us, letting us shoot and even asking us to promote their "youth" bows. Crossbows are backwards. The smaller is gets the more expensive it gets. It also gets harder to cock.

There used to be Cub and Vixen and Phoenix. Those were half way there because they were still big and heavy. We need a sort of entry level crossbow for younger people or new people. It can't cost a fortune because we might outgrow it and some kids will lose interest and the parents know that. It has to kind of look like "Dad's" crossbow but a cooler finish. Maybe skull camo or antler print. How about a wrap with a scene or logo like the kind you can put on your car? The closest thing now might be the 308 Short. If that was 300 or 295, a little lighter and adjustable length it might work but the price would have to be $400something or $500something. The stock is plastic. The rail can be plastic (like Axiom). A scope can be fixed power and one reticle. How expensive can plastic be? Sell it with 6 bolts with field tips. No quiver, it makes it unbalanced when you are not strong. Something that can be accurate on target at 20-25 or 30 yards and enough to kill a deer at those ranges too. Come on Excalibur, you are missing a big market.
Boo

Re: Where are the "kids" crossbows

Post by Boo »

The Pixel (a kids bow) was made up to a few years ago but so few were bought that Excalibur stopped production. It's the same story for the Apex, the last real target bow they marketed here in NA. There is a target bow that is mostly sold to Europe. I know that it's probably heavy for kids but the poundage is lower than a Vixen and can be made lighter in weight. There are things that can be done and have been done to any Excalibur to them smaller and more light in weight. You should call Danny Miller for any info on the target bow or the modifications done to shorten bows. He would happily accept a phone call from you 740 483 2312
Some people just like stepping on rakes
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

All the kids that I have shoot a crossbow use a stand I use the Caldwell deadshot fieldpod so they are not holding the crossbow . I use it when I am shooting it weather target shooting or hunting .
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

They go where the money is !!
I watched a hunting show where they did a walmart hunting challenge. They went to a walmart bought a bow package cheap and ready to go then went out and hunted and shot a deer they were copying the fishing one where they show how cheap it is to get set up fishing. I thought it was petty cool ! Unfortunately the crossbow industry doesn't do much to get new people into it or youth they are after the money as shows with their new models. And the money is with older guys that can't shoot a stick bow or compound but want into the archery season and don't mind spending money on new toys !!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:17 am
They go where the money is !!
I watched a hunting show where they did a walmart hunting challenge. They went to a walmart bought a bow package cheap and ready to go then went out and hunted and shot a deer they were copying the fishing one where they show how cheap it is to get set up fishing. I thought it was petty cool ! Unfortunately the crossbow industry doesn't do much to get new people into it or youth they are after the money as shows with their new models. And the money is with older guys that can't shoot a stick bow or compound but want into the archery season and don't mind spending money on new toys !!
:thumbup:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

This is sad but very true on the no youth models anymore. I will say that a Micro 315 or 335 wid Matrix limbs will get you a nice rope cockin model that is on the slower end of fps. More around the 200-215 fps area wid 350 gr -380 gr arrows. My Pipsqueak is made off a Micro 355 n its 135 lb draw n is about 240 fps usin a 350 gr arrow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Somebody is reading this forum ….. after I posted this my Dad got an email from someone at Bear Archery saying they heard I asked about a youth bow that could be used for hunting.

This recurve comes in two models that are 2.35 pounds, 10" width, 60 Pound DW and 175 FPS. It is $50 with peep sights or $70 with a Red Dot. It has a cocking device that works by pressing a button and using the butt part like a lever. It does not have a full butt stock. A small person could rest it on their forearm or use a rest for the front of the bow. If you use 16" or 14" bolts the FPS goes down. It comes with short bolts that are like 300 grains with field tips. You can't use a broadhead on those because they do not extend past the rail. With the right bolt and broadhead you could effectively deer hunt out to 25 yards, so they say. Then they say it is intended for target shooting. Well, for target shooting this seems okay but for hunting I would have to see what velocity a bolt at least 300 grains can go. I used to shoot my vertical bow at 128 FPS and I killed deer with it at 20 yards and even got pass throughs. This has potential. Too bad they didn't put a full butt stock on it. It is a step in the right direction.

papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

vixenmaster wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:13 am
This is sad but very true on the no youth models anymore. I will say that a Micro 315 or 335 wid Matrix limbs will get you a nice rope cockin model that is on the slower end of fps. More around the 200-215 fps area wid 350 gr -380 gr arrows. My Pipsqueak is made off a Micro 355 n its 135 lb draw n is about 240 fps usin a 350 gr arrow
You are so right Mike it is sad, :(
don't know where its going to end on speed .
I can remember a time when we had a 46 lb. recurve and didn,t know anything about FPS. and killed plenty of deer, but we had to be close, and accurate with shot placement . now some can kill deer out to 75 to 100 yds. with archery equiptment will we ever be happy again with lower poundage/ slower fps. :eusa-think: I would be more than happy with a bow like your pipsqueak. as I still hunt close. :thumbup:

just my 2 cents worth.
Dave :eusa-whistle:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I bought a Micro 335 when they first came out. As soon as Colton saw it and got a chance to shoot it, I knew that I would never get it back. :( He is small in stature, and the size worked better for him. I got an older stock from Danny Miller, and cut it down quite a bit for him, and he has loved it ever since! He CAN NOT cock it himself. From a dads view point, this is not all together a bad thing. ( i.e. NO domestic animals in NRH,TX. have succumbed to a crossbow arrow! ) He did learn that he could cock an Offspring while we were at Boofest this past summer. XB I GO, since Colton is very small for his age, I bet you could cock an Offspring as well. The Offsprings are discontinued and there are some real deals on them now. Just my thoughts.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Paul , your the best Dad ever.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Normous wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 pm
Paul , your the best Dad ever.
Norm, thank you much, but can’t even start to claim that. In fact feel I should have done more or better in some areas.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Smart business practices as l said before.....we cancel a great dependable bow easy cocking vixen 2. And the plastic long limbers that are truly easy to cock with bought and paid for molds machinery for ........Nothing to replace it with . Now people will have to look elsewhere for a kids or small adult bow ....makes no sense at all but what do l know .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

longbow joe wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:50 pm
Smart business practices as l said before.....we cancel a great dependable bow easy cocking vixen 2. And the plastic long limbers that are truly easy to cock with bought and paid for molds machinery for ........Nothing to replace it with . Now people will have to look elsewhere for a kids or small adult bow ....makes no sense at all but what do l know .
Joe, I know with 100% certainty that the Vixen's later years was a very poor seller. As sad as the situation is, you can't fault a company for not making and stocking something that doesn't sell. It became a very poor seller because everyone and they're grandmother wanted fast and just would not buy a slow bow. I had mentioned earlier in this thread that they make a target bow that is marketed in Europe but is usable for hunting. That bow has similar power to the Vixen.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I realize that it was at the end of its rope boo. Totally
Agree . But lm just saying that every person wanting a kids bow now has a lost excalibur sale going to Barnett or who ever else a poor seller is better than no seller at least until they had a honest replacement . I just assumed that anyone (people like us) would naturally make a simple excalibur bow like ours the first choice for our kids l know l would. Even if it was a rebadged import recurve at least there is a kids bow available. What the heck if the car business can rebadge a car or truck why not a crossbow. Not cool but at least it solves the profit problem . Or why not a cheap wheeled bow similar to the pse fang people love them fangs why not a kids offspring ....now that's an idea.Or why not a recurve similar to barnett's recruite....many just a tad better quality.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

On Ontario it makes no sense what so ever to own a kids bow. The gap from when they could use it alone and when they could legally hunt with one by themselves is basically non existent.

So you'd be better off to buy a 308 short. Cock it for them, since you are sitting with them the whole time anyway. Then when they can cock it themselves... You don't need to buy another bow.

The reality is, no kid should be using a crossbow anyway unless an adult is in arms reach at all times. And I'd be willing to bet money that most personal injuries to the youth would come from cocking/decocking them anyway.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme