OT - A year to forget

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

OT - A year to forget

Post by wabi »

Hello all,
Haven't posted for a loooong time, but thought I'd update everyone on my situation(s).
I had troubles with my eyesight (corneal ulcer) earlier in the year, but those problems are now corrected. Still don't have perfect vision in the affected eye, but it's good enough now to function normally and hopefully still improving. The scarring on the cornea makes for a couple blurry spots in my vision but the doctor said it will improve over time.

Then my son enlisted in the US Marines on a delayed entry program. That required him to go to physical training 30 to 60 miles away 2 or 3 times a week, so I had to either drive him or let him use the truck which stuck me at home on those evenings. He shipped out on January 14th and is at Parris Island in recruit training now. I've struggled some in adjusting to him not being here to hunt & fish with me, but I am slowly adjusting. It does take some of the fun out of it, though. All that travel with/by him resulted in my not hunting at all this season. It seemed like every good evening to hunt was the evening he had to have the truck. :thumbdown:

I went to check my Phoenix's sight-in the week before the opener and my string serving broke on the first shot. I had a spare string at home (I still use dacron), but by the time it finished settling in I had my ground blind destroyed by a wind storm. The location where I had my tree stand & blind was not productive at all last year so I had decided to move the blind and just hunt from it this year. I decided just to hunt during gun season and forget archery this year. Then I went to load my muzzleloader for gun season and found the firing pin had corroded and was jammed. It took me a few days to get it fixed and by then I decided jut to wait for the muzzleloader season. When it arrived, so did the rain/snow/ice and I figured "it just wasn't meant for me to hunt this year". :lol:

I guess next year I'll have to plan more carefully and make sure all the hunting gear is in top condition well before the season! It's not the first season I missed, but the time in the woods to relax and get tuned in to nature is the thing I need to get back to. I'm already planning to put some effort (and dollars) into preparing for the fishing season this summer. I'm going to buy a "brolly" (English for umbrella) shelter so I can enjoy those rainy days and not let the weather keep me at home as much!

Over the summer I'll have to pick up a new ground blind for next fall's hunting, but I'll have plenty of time to shop. Also thinking of going more "mobile" and picking up a new umbrella that mounts on a tree, a new tree seat, and a camo blind to use with it (just one of those little fabric on sticks to jam in the ground things). I may already have most of that if I dig around in my garage long enough. :lol:
wabi
georgiaboy

Re: OT - A year to forget

Post by georgiaboy »

Good to hear from you 😊
Thank you and your son for his service to our country.
I was working in Port Royal SC yesterday...drove right by Parris Island :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Wow Mike, hopefully all of the bad times are behind you and you have banked a lot of good years to come now. Great news on your vision.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

Argh! Boy Mike, life's been pretty rough on you! On the up side, it can only get better :thumbup: Hopefully, there's an about face starting now!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Sorry to hear of your troubles my Friend!
Let's hope that this new year brings you a Fun & Successful Hunting & Fishing season both to help offset the past year's!!

Simply cannot imagine missing a season myself. :wtf:
49 straight & counting, and very much wanting more!!

Your call continues to bring the Bucks running Wabi!
Don't know if I can ever thank you enough for that one!! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Matt
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have missed most of two different seasons, and that stinks. Hope things get better for you this season, and I also can't thank you enough for your calls, best anywhere!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Good to herefrom you Mike and hope things get better for ya
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
roly

Post by roly »

Good to hear things are improving for you, wishing you good luck in the up coming seasons.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Hang in there , Mike. Glad to see you post and glad you are looking forward to next season
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Geez it sure piled up on you, sorry to hear of the no huntin. Now the servin n string i can help wid. I can reserve yers n i have a new Dacon hangin on a peg i made few moths back. You can have it
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Thanks for the replies and thank you for the offer of a string vixenmaster!
Since I have no backup now I will gladly accept your offer!
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Mike pm me your name n addy i will get it on its way
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
SEW

Post by SEW »

wabi,
The valleys make the mountain tops sweeter. Enjoy preparing for next fall. Consider preparing natural ground blinds as much as practical, clearing minimal shooting lanes, preparing ways to get to your stand(s), blinds undetected, etc.. IOWs , enjoying the preparation and then seeing it all come together .
Good luck.
artifact

Post by artifact »

Looks like Murphy decided to visit you this year, don't feel alone, I think he was perched on my shoulder for both walleye and deer season this year!
A salute to your son, wishing him all the best!
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

Hang in there buddy. My youngest quit hunting with me when he was about 17 or so. I didn't enjoy it anymore so I quit for a few years. After he settled down a bit, he wanted me to go with him again so we ordered permits, and have every year for the last 15 or so. And by the way, I have replaced some fiberglass rods in ground blinds if that is all that's needed. My son has 4 ladder stands for us and I have 2 ground blinds. Grandsons are going some now.
Hope u have a better year next year.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster