What's your take

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

What's your take

Post by Species8472 »

So traditionally every February I buy a new firearm. Past buys have included Sakos, Noslers, Benellis and some Berettas. This year I am thinking if i buy anymore I am going to need another safe. That's not the end of the world but than I got thinking maybe a 440 instead? It's that against a 6.5 CM in a Tikka CTR. For reference I don't need either I have plenty of xbows and guns so neither will be filling any particular need.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
janesy

Re: What's your take

Post by janesy »

Not sure, but I'll be following your decision :eusa-popcorn:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hmmmmmm :eusa-think: tough decision. I'd be more inclined on the crossbow....nooo rifle. Then again, that 440 looks like a lot of fun, tonnes of speed and power, all the new upgrades. Butttt, that 6.5 is supposed to be super sweet. Cheap ammo, crazy accuracy, lots of fun. :eusa-think: I'm afraid I'm not being much help. I have a terrible time with decisions like this. That's why I say, why choose? :eusa-naughty:....buy both! :thumbup: :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle: :eusa-popcorn: :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

How about a 300 blackout semi-auto platform (AR build) for hogs/coyotes or a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag SS with 6 inch barrel. Those two are on my to-buy-list. The blackout for hogs and the other for anything else in North America. I hear you on the safe space issue. I need a third just for my xbows, and a fourth just for ammo.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
janesy

Post by janesy »

PublicLandHunter1 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 pm
How about a 300 blackout semi-auto platform (AR build) for hogs/coyotes or a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag SS with 6 inch barrel. Those two are on my to-buy-list. The blackout for hogs and the other for anything else in North America. I hear you on the safe space issue. I need a third just for my xbows, and a fourth just for ammo.
No such luck in Ontario. Not yet anyway
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

That Micro 360 TD looks like a winner! :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Not to sound indifferent. Why a 6.5 creedmor. Its basically a .308. Almost identical ballistics . Just a new fad.
Like my ole .300 savage , fits in the same bracket as both those.

I'm think my next 7x57 Mauser.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Take the toy money and buy a hunt you have always wanted to go on and use a toy you all ready own on it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

gerald strine wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:23 pm
Take the toy money and buy a hunt you have always wanted to go on and use a toy you all ready own on it.
×2
Or take a trip somewhere you wanted. Make some memories.
Why buy something you don't need just to keep tradition going on? If you continue doing that for rest of your life you'll need more space than another gun safe.
janesy

Post by janesy »

elkaholic wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:49 pm
Not to sound indifferent. Why a 6.5 creedmor. Its basically a .308. Almost identical ballistics . Just a new fad.
Like my ole .300 savage , fits in the same bracket as both those.

I'm think my next 7x57 Mauser.
I like the 7mm. I have a 7mm-08 I just love to walk with. Creed is nice if your going with a restricted mag length.

308,7mm-08, 7x57M, 6.5creed, 260 rem, 6.5x55... pick your poison. Replicating end game performed(essentially the same round lol), but gives options for different reason. I find them entertaining.

When I went 7mm08 years ago ammo was harder to find. Now it's everywhere. I let a hunting buddy lecture me inside out about how under gunned it was, and I should have gone 7x57, because that's what the Sweden's use on their moose. I just ate my soup and laughed inside.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've had my eye on a stainless 6.5 CM all year. I just can't get beyond the fact that I can do the same thing with a 7mm-08. Oddly enough, a 129gr Hornady SST in the 6.5 CM and a 139gr Hornady SST in the 7mm-08 fired at the same speed have virtually identical ballistics. The 7mm-08 just does it with more energy and slightly more recoil. Ammo for the 7mm-08 is also more readily available.

Then I remember that I already have three deer rifles and have a hard enough time getting all of them to the woods each season. Adding another certainly won't help that situation. Especially since I'd rather be hunting with my crossbow or muzzleloader anyway.

Sounds like a good reason to get a 440. :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

gerald strine wrote:
Smart man!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

gerald strine wrote:
BINGO! :thumbup:

Unless your young & dumb, this is the best advise yet.
Take that from an middle-aged old guy that screwed it up once... (or maybe that was twice :lol: )

In the end it certainly ain't the toys, but it sure as hell IS The Memories!! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

IronNoggin wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:19 pm
gerald strine wrote:
BINGO! :thumbup:

Unless your young & dumb, this is the best advise yet.
Take that from an middle-aged old guy that screwed it up once... (or maybe that was twice :lol: )

In the end it certainly ain't the toys, but it sure as hell IS The Memories!! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
I agree!

I have minimized my firearms and bows to only the ones I use. I would rather hunt more than have more toys that will collect dust! :)
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

gerald strine wrote:

THIS
:thumbup: :!:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife