Sapphire 325 (forward riser)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Montana Mark

Sapphire 325 (forward riser)

Post by Montana Mark »

Hello all. I am a new crossbow owner. I picked up a matrix sapphire (for the small framed shooter). I love this little bow. I am very proud of it. My new baby, I named her “Bear Killing Machine”. I plan to use it to hunt the problem bear I have in my neighborhood.

I have learned a lot about the bow through this forum and by my mistakes. As fate would have it, I dry fired it within 2 weeks. Dawn was very kind to send me new limbs and string. She sold me the Guardian ADF, Air Brakes and some REDS. They sent me the wrong REDS (sapphire uses micro REDS) so I made lemons into lemonade by calling Danny Miller and bought a forward matrix riser (sapphire has a swept back riser). Now I have a Sapphire 325. I chronographed it at the local bow shop and it shot 326 with a 100 grain tip and 311 with the 150 grain tip.

This little bow will get me back into hunting. In Montana, I can only use it in rifle season, but there are always little bucks in my meadow all year. I will also hunt bear and turkey with it. I’ll take it up to the ridge behind the house where no one seems to hunt and hope an elk walks less than 50 yards from me.

I’m very excited about crossbows. If my sons take an interest, I’ll pick up a couple Grizzly’s for them. Thanks to you all for all the great info. I’ve loved reading the forum.
Last edited by Montana Mark on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matrix Sapphire 325 (forward riser)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #1)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #2)
W.Miguire

Re: Sapphire 325 (forward riser)

Post by W.Miguire »

Welcome to the family. congrats on your new bow. enjoy yourself, there are a lot of great members on this form wit a lot of knowledge . :wave:
W.M.
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

Thanks.
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

Congratulions for the Saphire. How much have you paid for the Riser. Since i have chronographed my Matrix 310 i must realized that it is more a Matrix 290-295 (350grain) and now i am really interested in a forward riser.
Good Luck with the problem bear.
Micro Bulldog 335
Micro 308 Short
BD 330
Woodstock 342 (Matrix)
Matrix 355 with 310 Riser
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

I’m a little embarrassed to admit the money I poured into this little bow, especially since I got such a great deal on the bow to start out with. I liked the look of the 308 Short and when I saw the discontinued Sapphire (same look but matrix limbs) on Amazon for $450, I couldn’t resist. Right after getting it, I went on an arrow, broadhead, string, string changer, string wax, etc shopping spree for about $250. I dryfired it and Dawn charged me an $80 “dryfire fee” to replace the limbs and string. Guardian ADF, Air Brakes, REDS, another $150. When I called Danny Miller, I only wanted to buy a forward matrix riser and he sold me the whole front end (riser, limbs, stirrup, string and bumper) for $250. (Who am I to argue with the legend—besides, I’m bad at business.). As you can see, I am almost $1200 into this little bow (for the small framed shooter). I may as well have bought an Assassin. But, I am having a great deal of fun and in the grand scheme, it’s way cheaper than a hot rod or a motorcycle. Now that I’ve finished it, im trying to resist buying a micro front end to see how it would work on it (power stroke may be just about right on the short rail I have). I won’t do it because I have a bunch of 18” arrows and a box full of matrix parts, limbs, strings. Plus, I like the matrix setup, glad I have a matrix. I think I’m done with my bow. I’ll probably get a couple Grizzly’s for my two college boys.

Not sure how much a matrix riser costs but don’t trust me to do your deal making, I’d buy the whole store.
Last edited by Montana Mark on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Welcome!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Unless they have changed the micro Riser its a single bolt to attach the mainframe/rail
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

Thank you for telling me about the single bolt. Now I know it won’t easily fit and can save my money for Grizzly’s for the boys. Also, I’m not excited to have a bow that’s hard to cock. Looking forward to the temperature to get above zero in Montana so I can shoot my bow. Excalibur’s are so accurate, I don’t worry about missing my target and losing arrows under the snow.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

That is the thing wid recurves to get speed you have to increase the draw stroke n frame length. Yeah then its more poundage n harder to cock. I had to go to a crank, my arms n shoulders jus can't handle it anymore. Sides that it hurts alot n arthur sets in on me
Half Bubble Off BD360

Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

It doesn't take long to sink alot of funds in to a bow. Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Carnivorous wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:17 am
Too true Jeff, some of the guys on here spend all kinds of time and money on bows. :lol:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

Yes. Spring bear season is coming up and I have to figure out how to get the bear. He comes in and ransacks my place at night and the moves on to the next house. He killed my goat last year. The fish and game just tells me to get a bear tag and “shoot yer self a bear”. I’ll figure out to get him.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

janesy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:14 am
Carnivorous wrote:
Too true Jeff, some of the guys on here spend all kinds of time and money on bows. :lol:

I don’t understand why they do it :roll:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Montana Mark wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:35 am
Yes. Spring bear season is coming up and I have to figure out how to get the bear. He comes in and ransacks my place at night and the moves on to the next house. He killed my goat last year. The fish and game just tells me to get a bear tag and “shoot yer self a bear”. I’ll figure out to get him.
Can you bait there ? If'en so you sure can get it usin foods :thumbup:
Half Bubble Off BD360

Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Bcxbow wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:46 am
janesy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:14 am
Carnivorous wrote:

I don’t understand why they do it :roll:
Lol! I can picture the Micro 360 TD all blacked out! Smokin!!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.