New Style Limb Recoil Bracket Screws

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chilly_willy

New Style Limb Recoil Bracket Screws

Post by chilly_willy »

I'm sure some of you guys have had problems with this. These are the small button head screws (2 on each limb) that screw into the riser which hold down the limb. The heads always seem to strip out when you try to remove them. Well I picked the new style from a local archery shop the other day. The set includes 4 flat washers, 4 10-32 x 1'' allen head screws and 4 bushings (or spacers). I have a Matrix 355 so my bushings are a little smaller .416'' as compared to .466" used on the newer crossbows. I'm guessing the limb is thicker where the limb bolt goes into the riser. After putting them on I noticed a small gap about 1/32 between the limb and the aluminum bar which a small piece of rubber on it that holds down limb. My question...is it safe to shoot the bow or do I need to put a thicker piece of rubber under the bar? Thanks Bill
janesy

Re: New Style Limb Recoil Bracket Screws

Post by janesy »

chilly_willy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:50 am
I'm sure some of you guys have had problems with this. These are the small button head screws (2 on each limb) that screw into the riser which hold down the limb. The heads always seem to strip out when you try to remove them. Well I picked the new style from a local archery shop the other day. The set includes 4 flat washers, 4 10-32 x 1'' allen head screws and 4 bushings (or spacers). I have a Matrix 355 so my bushings are a little smaller .416'' as compared to .466" used on the newer crossbows. I'm guessing the limb is thicker where the limb bolt goes into the riser. After putting them on I noticed a small gap about 1/32 between the limb and the aluminum bar which a small piece of rubber on it that holds down limb. My question...is it safe to shoot the bow or do I need to put a thicker piece of rubber under the bar? Thanks Bill
Shoot the bow and enjoy. I have upgraded all of my bows to the taller ferrel(black) now and have not have any sort of problem since. I have not measured, but I have a fair amount of air between my limbs and the rubber pads. I only made them all black because I had enough laying around, and I like all my bows the same
Last edited by janesy on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
RobD

Post by RobD »

So if somebody didn't have an Excalibur dealer nearby, would a call to Danny Miller be a good way to get ahold of a set?
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
Boo

Post by Boo »

You can safely shoot the bow without the recoil brackets. A couple of years ago they made those bushings tall enough to see a gap between the limb and recoil bracket.The new limb replacements are thicker where they sit in the riser but I don't know if they'll be making the bushings even taller to maintain a gap.
You would be best advise to call Excalibur and quiz them. If you need anything, they'll happily send it to you.
The reason why they strip is the allen key does not fully seat unless it is tapped home. I usually use a magnetic tip and beat it in to get full engagement. Anyone using allens for a living (mechanics etc) are pretty accustomed to doing this on allen socket fasteners.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
chilly_willy

Post by chilly_willy »

RobD wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:27 am
So if somebody didn't have an Excalibur dealer nearby, would a call to Danny Miller be a good way to get ahold of a set?
Yes, you can call Danny Miller.
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

The new hardware will result in the recoil plates sitting off the limbs, this is on purpose. The only job the recoil plate has is it prevents the limb from over extending, the main bolt holds the limb to the riser. The gap between the limb and the recoil plate allows the limb to bend more naturally from the limb bolt and prevents the limb from bending only from the edge of the riser.

A recurve limb appears to be very simple but we continue to learn ways to make them even more powerful and durable. We have learned a thing or two in 37 years. :D

Peter
RobD

Post by RobD »

Peter - Thanks for the clarification on them. Looks like I should just get 5 sets for all of my Excalibur Matrix/Bulldog bows.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout

Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Peter - Thanks for the clarification on them. Looks like I should just get 5 sets for all of my Excalibur Matrix/Bulldog bows.
I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over the hardware, we have thousands of them out there working just fine with the old designed hardware. If you ever have to change limbs or you strip the old hardware then it would be a good time to change.

We are thinking of offering hardware kits for those interested not sure they would be big sellers but if there is enough interest we can do it. My thought is to offer a full bow kit and a limb assembly kit per model type ie. Matrix, Micro and Exo series, thoughts?

Peter
RobD

Post by RobD »

I could see there being some interest in this. I, for one, wouldn't mind picking up the newer style bolts for my Matrix 380s. I do need to get a set for my BD400, as it came with airbrakes so I don't have the regular limb hardware bolts to use the bow without the airbrakes. I have also seen bows that have definitely spent their time in the elements and have some pretty rusty bolts on the limbs, ideal candidates for a replacement kit.

One problem with the either the full screw kit or just a limb kit would be for people who have a bow that either came plain or a suppressor package. You'd have to either include both limb hardware bolts in the kit, or have two different kits based on the bow's configuration.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout

Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

One problem with the either the full screw kit or just a limb kit would be for people who have a bow that either came plain or a suppressor package. You'd have to either include both limb hardware bolts in the kit, or have two different kits based on the bow's configuration.
Agreed, that is one of the challenges we're dealing with. Its not a big deal to have different kits for various formats, if people get hardware they don't need they can always use them as spares. We'll keep playing with this as I think there is some merit to the idea.

Peter
janesy

Post by janesy »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:19 pm
Agreed, that is one of the challenges we're dealing with. Its not a big deal to have different kits for various formats, if people get hardware they don't need they can always use them as spares. We'll keep playing with this as I think there is some merit to the idea.

Peter
Probably easiest just to have a sales SKU prepared when someone asks, then it's easy to sell the components . Otherwise that another inventory item to carry that may not make sense in the long run. I guess it all depends on how many phone calls you get vs how much time and money goes into proving the retail. You'd know better than me but I'd hazard a guess that 90% of Excal owners don't ever take their limbs off, or even know they can. 5% only ever did it for a warranty directive, and the other 5% are reading this thread.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

janesy wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:40 pm
Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Peter
Probably easiest just to have a sales SKU prepared when someone asks, then it's easy to sell the components . Otherwise that another inventory item to carry that may not make sense in the long run. I guess it all depends on how many phone calls you get vs how much time and money goes into proving the retail. You'd know better than me but I'd hazard a guess that 90% of Excal owners don't ever take their limbs off, or even know they can. 5% only ever did it for a warranty directive, and the other 5% are reading this thread.
:wave: :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Diamond Dick

Post by Diamond Dick »

Where are the washers used?
Bcxbow