Turkeys!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunter

Re: Turkeys!

Post by nchunter »

Yeah, I sure found that out the hard way! Movement a deer would never pick up, like moving a thumb to the safety!

Thing is, when it’s not turkey season I can’t shoo the dang things away when I’m hunting deer. They make a racket and won’t leave—even if I stand up just 30 yards away and do jumping jacks! On public land no less! How can a pea-brained bird know what season it is?
grouse

Post by grouse »

I've killed about 35 wild turkeys in my life, one with a recurve vertical bow, and the rest with shotguns. Every year since I started crossbow hunting I think about using a crossbow, then opening morning comes and I grab a shotgun. Most of the shots I've made with my shotgun, I could make with my crossbow. I need to overcome my inherent fear of failure and use an Excal this year. We'll see if I can muster up the courage. Either way, hunting turkeys is great fun!
axiom
350 SE
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I've killed well over a hundred and one place I hunt is bow only so I either use the compound or the crossbow. I usually end up with the crossbow as it is easier. One thing you find is getting them within the magical 40 yards for shotgun is easy but getting them to come that extra 20 or so yards can be a bit tougher for a crossbow. I usually end up with the jake over breeder hen to try and draw them in that last few yards. :eusa-shhh: :mrgreen:
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

YAH. turkey season is coming soon . you can bet I will be using my cross bow . it's all about the fun not the kill for me . I have been using the CB for the last five years now and I don't think of using the shot gun . just on thing I learned over the last few years is the Magnus Bull head is the broadhead for me . and decoy set up is the key , just set them 8 to 10 yds. from your blind and whalla dead bird. :clap: :clap: :clap:
W.M.