I am back with Excalibur after a couple years cooling off...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Smong2000

I am back with Excalibur after a couple years cooling off...

Post by Smong2000 »

I have always loved the recurve platform but had a bad experience with a Micro and left the fold for a while. Well now I am over it and just bought a BD400 to rejoin team Excalibur. :thumbup:
Can't do any outside shooting for a while with the sloppy snow and mud so limited to a few shots in the garage everyday. I'm surprised at the weight of the bow (heavy!) but even more surprised by the way it cocks (smooth!). Guess I expected it to be a lot stiffer than it is but it's not as bad as the Micro 355 and would be relatively comfortable for me to shoot a few dozen times. I'm only 5'8" so the rope is now very short. I still ordered myself a C2 to make life easier at the range and also ordered the bolt kit so that I could remove the Airbrakes. Not sure if she will ever become my hunting bow or how long she'll stay with me, but looking forward to flinging arrows at targets as soon as conditions let me and she's a real looker as are all the classic Excals.
Boo

Re: I am back with Excalibur after a couple years cooling off...

Post by Boo »

:thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Welcome back!
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Just playing around with the BD400 and pulled off the Airbrakes. They weigh 7.9 oz! Big change in the feel of the bow but I couldn't hear any difference. Might be a bit more recoil but that was expected after pulling 1/2lb off the front. Also I'm shooting a 375 grain arrow indoors. Those short arrows will blow right through my target if I don't shoot the packed bottom of the bag. Tempted to try one my hunting arrows for my other bow that weigh 475 but they have glued in aluminium moon nocks and those are supposed to be a no-no in Excaliburs for some reason.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Smong2000 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:15 pm
Just playing around with the BD400 and pulled off the Airbrakes. They weigh 7.9 oz! Big change in the feel of the bow but I couldn't hear any difference. Might be a bit more recoil but that was expected after pulling 1/2lb off the front. Also I'm shooting a 375 grain arrow indoors. Those short arrows will blow right through my target if I don't shoot the packed bottom of the bag. Tempted to try one my hunting arrows for my other bow that weigh 475 but they have glued in aluminium moon nocks and those are supposed to be a no-no in Excaliburs for some reason.
As long as the string lines up perfectly in the nock you'll be fine. If it doesn't, then don't even try
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
RobD

Post by RobD »

Welcome back to the fold! I'm 5'10", and I too had to shorter the rope to get be able to cock it without the C2 crank. I put a Dr Stirrup stirrup on the front end, which shortens the bow by about an inch, and that helps. I only had to shorten the rope an inch from the 2" brace height to be able to cock it. Though I don't think I could do it a few dozen times like I can with my Matrix 380.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

My rope claw is 7.5 inches away from the string when the other is engaged to cock. So I am half way there before I even start! Still that last inch is pretty tough but if you don't get to the latch at least the ADF is there to hold it so you can get another chance. The C2 is on the way and it will be great for range sessions even if I have to remove it each shot because I am left handed.
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

c2 is junk with that bow one mess up and there goes your finger tips. c2 is a meat grinder . better off with the charger crank. my bd400 is lighter then my micro just saying
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

otisbrazwell wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:12 pm
c2 is junk with that bow one mess up and there goes your finger tips. c2 is a meat grinder . better off with the charger crank. my bd400 is lighter then my micro just saying
Thanks for the heads up on the C2. I better read up on it so I don't screw up.

Not sure how your BD400 is lighter than a Micro, must be the accessories because I had a Micro 355 with same scope as my BD400 and it was around a pound lighter on the same scale. I might have taken a picture of it on the scale like I did with my MXB400, will check...
janesy

Post by janesy »

Outfitted apples to apples the 400 will have ~3-4" more aluminum and a few inches more fiberglass than any given micro
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i found it funny that a Micro stock weighs more than Matrix stock. not sure why that is. :eusa-shifty: