Crossbow Hunt was a Success

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Crossbow Hunt was a Success

Post by XB I GO »

The hunt that my family donated to BooFest was a lot of fun. At first my brother and I were disappointed because we thought we would not be able to get to meet up with my Dad. The King Air was broken down in Dallas. We were sad that we would miss the hunt. Then I thought maybe Mr. Paul was driving past us. My Dad called him and he offered to pick us up and give us a ride! My brother was nervous but I wasn’t. Mr. Paul and Colton were really nice and we had a good ride and got to know each other.
We were supposed to get to the ranch on Monday afternoon but since this happened my Uncle Richard said he would make room for us on Sunday. My Dad drove to meet us. I felt bad that I missed the turn to the ranch and Mr. Paul had to go 15 miles past it. It looked different without the sunflowers in the front but that was my fault. When we got there my Dad had 11 other customers that Uncle Richard was taking care of. I thought it was going to be crowded but there were all gone before we woke up on Monday morning. One other customer came Monday to join us but he was nice and we like him.
We drove around the ranch to show Mr. Paul and Colton some animals and to pick out some rams we might want to try to get. My brother and I like to drive around the ranch because it is the only place my Dad lets us drive. We saw a lot of stuff. There were axis, fallow, sika, whitetail, kudu, damas gazelle, bison, water buffalo, watusi, elk, pere David, red sheep, mouflon, assorted rams and goats, ibex, hogs and kudu.
Colton and I went on two rabbit hunts with airguns. We got a few and that was fun. We also fished in the pond. There are largemouth bass, yellow bass and hybrid peacock bass. Colton got a few but they weren’t biting real good.
We got a slingshot and tried to figure it out. Colton could hit the target right away. My brother and my Dad never got it. I hit it a few times but not real good. It was fun trying.
We went to eat a lot. My Dad was funny because he said there were 3 choices. Mexican, Mexican or Mexican. It ended up true. Of course Jalisco was Mexican but Cowboys Steakhouse was mostly Mexican and even Dairy Queen had tacos and a Mexican plate. My Uncle Richard knew this was a donated hunt and he wanted to help out so he paid for all the food.
We looked at a lot of rams. Colton did not know if he was going to get a shoulder mount or a skull mount. My Dad said the darker horns look better on a skull mount because they contrast and are darker and make shadows against whatever color wall you put it on. We found a cool tri color ram with dark horns that needed to be taken out anyway because one horn was starting to poke him in the eye.
Once we figured out where they were we set up a pop up blind and Colton and I got in there. My Dad and Uncle Richard had a new guy named Dillon working there. It is always funny that the new guys that have been there a week think they know the ranch better than me and know more than my Dad. At one point my Dad had a talk with him and set things straight.
When Colton and I were in the pop up it started raining. It was really loud on the blind but at least we were dry. Dad, Mr. Paul and Dillon drove off a couple hundred yards but they could see with binoculars. I used Colton’s video camera and told him which one to shoot and when. Colton has a really nice black Micro. He made a perfect shot through the heart. I really like his lighted nock and I never saw one except on TV. The ram walked a little bit and then stood there. When I saw the hole I knew he was not going anywhere. After a few seconds he fell over. Back at the lodge my Dad and Dillon skinned it and took the backstraps off. Dad caped it out in case Colton wanted a shoulder mount and Dillon scraped and washed the skull.
Dad’s other customer wanted something big and good to eat. He was interested in water buffalo and watusi but my Dad had a different idea. There was a Spanish Fighting Bull on the ranch. Dad called him “Cheap Dangerous Game”. He would fight with the other animals and had no problem coming at people. Before we got there he dented one of the trucks. Dad made a good deal and the customer decided to try to get it. We joked around about tying a red flag on the customer. We were surprised when Dad told Colton to grab his video camera and come along on the stalk for the bull. Dad wouldn’t let anyone else go because it could be dangerous. He led the customer and Colton followed behind them. They got real close a couple of times and even aimed but the customer was too slow. We figured out where the bull was going and Dad put the customer and Colton in a box blind. The bull came close and he pole axed it with one shot in the neck. Colton got the whole thing on video. That’s the first time my Dad ever let two people out on a dangerous game spot and stalk so I know he like Colton and trusted him to listen.
Before they left, we gave Colton a little gift. My Dad made a knife with an antler handle from a deer I shot and a leather sheath. My Dad likes watching Forged in Fire and gets these crazy ideas! I hope Colton likes it and can use it.
We had a great time with Mr. Paul and Colton and we invited to hunt with us on some other trips we have planned later on. I hope we see them again!
When we were done having fun my Dad reminded my brother and I that we did this to help a family that had a hard time and a tragedy. We prayed for them. We are back at Dad’s now finishing out Spring break. Back to school on Monday….
Patcon

Re: Crossbow Hunt was a Success

Post by Patcon »

Excellent.
Sounds like a great time
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

It's awesome that everyone had a great time and an exciting hunt. Very cool looking ram that Colton shot.

Any chance a picture of Dangerous Game was taken and can be posted!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

XB I GO, ( Brandon), Thank you all very much for offering this hunt. Colton and I had a great time. It was really nice to get to meet you and your brother and dad. You treated us like kings. I got to the taxidermist Wednesday. Colton doesn’t know it but he is getting a shoulder mount. The ride down was fun. We enjoyed the whole time. Did Colton ever get the videos sent to you? I’ll remind him again if he hasn’t.
It was really neat to get to see all the different kinds of animals that you all have available on the ranch. Most of those are animals that I wouldn’t ever get to see hunting where we do. The size of some of them just stunned me. The bison are HUGE! We had a great time. And thanks again. I hope to see you all again.
I will try to get Colton on the forum to give his story. I know by the grin how tickled he was with the hunt.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

elkaholic wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 pm
It's awesome that everyone had a great time and an exciting hunt. Very cool looking ram that Colton shot.

Any chance a picture of Dangerous Game was taken and can be posted!
I know Colton has a video, I’ll see if he has stills as well. And see if we can get something posted
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Sounds like a great time was had by all! Congrats to Colton on the ram
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Great write up XB and congrats to Colton on a beautiful ram. :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

Awesome! :thumbup:
I am happy that you 2 boys hit it off!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

I was waiting for this post.
Thanks for the inside view on the donation hunt.
Very generous of you family!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Here is the Spanish Fighting Bull:

XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Finally got the King Air working so we could get back.....

XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13_z92Xc2frFFoJh4OUQ_dNvBSS0xzpS4/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bxauryVX_Vn-7hmaIl00wJ3Zp_lmldHs/view?usp=drive_web

Cut and paste the link to see videos
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Here's the knife and sheath Dad made for Colton:

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thank you so much for your wonderful write up! I'm thrilled to hear about your great hunt and time spent with Paul and Colton. I hope I have the opportunity to meet you and your family one day.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

XB I GO wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:53 pm
Here's the knife and sheath Dad made for Colton:

Very nice! Your dad is a talented man! Amongst everything else in his past and present, he makes knives! Cool!
Some people just like stepping on rakes