Mushy dead zone scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Montana Mark

Mushy dead zone scope

Post by Montana Mark »

I bought 3 Excaliburs for myself and my 2 sons (Sapphire and 2 Grizzly’s). All 3 have Dead Zone scopes. The boys’ scopes work great, tight groups, hold zero, crisp turret clicks. Mine, however, feels “mushy”. Indistinct clicks (sometimes no clicks), wider groups and doesn’t hold zero like the other 2. Is there anything I can do to the turrets to get them crisper. I tightened some little screws on the dial and it helped a little. I suspect some lubricant might help. I realize I may be looking at getting a new scope but my style is to not give up easily and try to make it work better like the others (which seem to be decent little scopes.
Matrix Sapphire 325 (forward riser)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #1)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #2)
janesy

Re: Mushy dead zone scope

Post by janesy »

Don't mess with it. It has a lifetime warranty and sounds defective. Start and RMA or call Danny Miller.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

janesy wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:13 am
Don't mess with it. It has a lifetime warranty and sounds defective. Start and RMA or call Danny Miller.
What he said :thumbup: :D

Dave
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Warranty it get a new one. You may want to up grade to the TactZone n pay some extra samolians
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

I knew I was having accuracy issues from the get- go but love the bow and wanted to wait till the snow melted to set up a bench to really evaluate the scope (I am shooting kneeling on the driveway). I would blame poor groups on myself or the arrows. When my zero was (frequently) off, I would figure my string was stretching a little or the limbs were “settling in”. Then, I got the 2 Grizzly’s for the boys and both were way more accurate right out of the box, shooting nice tight groups (Diablos, same kneeling position) and holding their zero. I was actually astonished at how accurate they were. I could produce touching arrows marching out 30, 40, 50, 60. I think the Dead Zone is a nice little scope and it performs very well on the boys’ bows. I’ll have to start an RMA. Probably ask for another dead zone so all 3 of our bows are set up the same (if the boys need to use my bow, it will be familiar). Our hunting rifles are all Ruger 270 with Burris Scopes, shotguns Ithica pumps. Boys can grab mine and it will shoot the same.

BTW scope rail tight with blue locktite, scope ring, mounting screws tight, everything tight. Even tried a different sting. No tiller issues. Brace height spec.
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

I sprayed a little lithium grease onto the turrets and let it soak down into them. (Figured I’d try it since I am about ready to give up on it.) The dials click noticably better and it is shooting better today. (Also, when I want to go 1 click left, I’m going 2 clicks left and one right.) Tighter groups today. (Yesterday was pretty bad.) I’m going to give this little scope a chance and see if it holds zero. If it keeps giving me fits, I’ll get a new one.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I would just send it in! You will have a new one in less then a week!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

You all are right. I just got in from shooting my sons alongside mine and mine is just not holding zero. I will swap scopes tomorrow to comfirm and then do an RMA. Spring bear season is only a few weeks away. Still not bashing the Dead Zone. I just got a bad one. I don’t think i’ll upgrade scopes. I’m actually getting “crossbow shopping fatigue” (if there is such a thing) after buying 3 crossbows along with all the accessories, parts and arrows. (Besides, I think I need a rangefinder.)
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

So today, I set up a bench. Am using 30 yard zero. Used same arrow, same cock feather. I shot more than 30 times trying to give my scope a chance. 3 inch groups were the best it would do. Never holding zero more than 2 shots. When I adjusted a turret, I never knew where it would go. I then swapped scopes from my sons bow (another Dead Zone). (My bow, sons scope, same arrow/cock feather.) I was amazed and astonished. Same hole accuracy, every single shot. Buried my arrow, had to dig it out. (For close range, I rotate my target so it’s deeper—apparently deeper than the 18 inch arrow.). When I adjusted the turret, it moved exactly where it’s supposed to. Last night, I had nearly given up on the Dead Zone and was researching other scopes. I was ready to buy a Nikon Bolt for myself and do the RMA to get a spare scope. I will now do the RMA and keep the Dead Zone. It’s a great shooting scope. All Hail the Dead Zone!
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

New warantee scope shoots great. Sighted in at 30 yards. Hit bullsey off my knee at 70 after tuning the speed ring. (Btw. Had to spend hours this weekend testing and marking cock vanes (using my sons bow) to make the Diablos more accurate.) My Zombie Slayers arrive tomorrow and can’t wait to test them out.