Sighting in Diablos off a bench (frustrating)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ferguson Outfitters

Re: Sighting in Diablos off a bench (frustrating)

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

Montana Mark wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:50 pm
All of my screws are tight (except upstairs). And, Ferguson, you seem like a great guy. I was in the military too but never went to war. I was an Air Force psychiatrist.
Not at Wilford Hall by chance? I was betting you were an MD though, you guys rock and are much more to the point and grounded than the “Help”.

I only listen to my headphones in mono and in my bad ear because “they” are trying to send me messages in stereo
Last edited by Ferguson Outfitters on Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

:shock:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

No. I just served 4 years at Malmstrom missle base in Montana. I’ve been a civilian for years. Anyway, I got 4 more arrows tuned to about 3/4” today. Now both of my sons have a quiver full of arrows that group well. I am still waiting on my warrantee replacement scope. It will arrive next week and I will sight it in with my new arrows.
Matrix Sapphire 325 (forward riser)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #1)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #2)
Ferguson Outfitters

:thumbup: Hey, determination should pay off.

Best of luck to y’all

We should drink and I pick your brain...I gots this Daughter-in-law :crazy:
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

Thanks a lot. Sorry I got a little abstract on you guys last night. I work a lot of weekends and yesterday was my first Friday in a long time. I was just in a good mood and trying to be funny. And by the way, I’m not really that frustrated, the bows are really a lot of fun to shoot. Spinning arrows and marking them is just a good excuse to do more of it.
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

I like using my Caldwell Led Sled when shooting on my portable bench. First time shooting I could not believe I was shooting the same hole out to 40 yards- Excalibur had me at hello. You enjoy your xbow now just wait until you start filling your tags with it. It only gets better.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

My zombie Slayers arrived today. They are simply amazing. I am ordering more tomorrow. They are a joy to shoot. They go where they are supposed to. I can adjust my scope with confidence. They are extremely accurate.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Montana Mark wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:42 pm
My zombie Slayers arrived today. They are simply amazing. I am ordering more tomorrow. They are a joy to shoot. They go where they are supposed to. I can adjust my scope with confidence. They are extremely accurate.
Mark are you shooting with a field point or a Broadhead?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

Just field points. The zombies came from wyvern with 100 grain tips but I put on 150 grain tips because I have a whole bunch of 150 grain Boltcutters that o will use for hunting. They are heavy and probably have a lot of FOC but I think they shoot great. I need to get a proper target for broadheads so I can shoot them.
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

My BD380 shoots the Zombies accurately too. They are my go to bolt now. Getting ready to drop a Triggertech single stage trigger in the 380. Added the HHA optimizer last month. That is like the "icing on the cake." It all starts with a bow, then the bolts next thing you know your putting a new trigger in or optimizer and last comes the titanium hardware. Can't forget the custom string that's it next as well. It's all good- I shot today after work now that the days are getting longer. Deer season is 6 months away and it will be here before we know it. There is a big difference between wanting to shoot and having to shoot your xbow. Sounds like you chose the right xbow.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

Yes. I will probably took into strings next. Just wore through the serving on my first string (have spares). Watched Boo’s videos on reserving strings. Figured I would collect a few worn strings before I take that on. Probably need to polish trigger latches (or maybe eventually my strings will polish them??).
Ferguson Outfitters

Mark, hows the sighting in going, what did you settle on?
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

Thanks Ferguson. Everything going well. The zombie Slayers are much more consistent and group better. I bought a bunch of them. New warantee Dead Zone works well. I’m going to use 150 grain Boltcutters for the bear. The arrows will weigh 462 grains (more with luminoks). Getting a broadhead target this weekend to test them out. Spring bear season starts in 10 days.

The snow is melting off my roof (I call it my tree stand). My strategy is to sit on my roof (tree stand) in the very early morning and wait for him. With a pillow and an old sleeping bag, my “tree stand” will be very comfy. I’ll do this randomly throughout the season and hope I see him. He usually walks strait up my driveway. If he does, he will be 15 yards away when broadside. I’ll try to shoot as he steps forward on his close front leg. I will definitely post if I get him. I’ve been pretty obsessed with getting this bear (killed my goat last year). I feel like Bill Murray on the Caddy Shack movie. (Actually, I can thank the bear for my fun new hobby—crossbows. I bought the crossbow so I can hunt the bear without making noise or sending bullets flying around the neighborhood.)

BTW. Had a nice Tom turkey in my backyard today when I came home. Turkey season doesn’t start till the 12th and I can only use a crossbow for turkeys in the fall. I’m going to wait till fall so I can use my crossbow and have a thanksgiving turkey.
Last edited by Montana Mark on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ferguson Outfitters

Doe the boltcutters match the outer diameter?

Do you have a stock number or link?

Flat nock?
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

Good question. Just spun the boltcutter onto the Zombie and the arrow insert lines up with the shaft of the broadhead. Same as on the Diablos. Boltcutter is the fixed broadhead sold by Excalibur. They have 150 and 100 grain heads.