Sighting in Diablos off a bench (frustrating)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ferguson Outfitters

Re: Sighting in Diablos off a bench (frustrating)

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

Good cause I have a jazillion boltcutters of both weights.

Could you point me to the bolt, is it flat or needs a flat insert?
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

I bought the zombies from Wyvern Creations website. Dave builds them specifically for Excalibur crossbows. I bought 18” ones for the matrix. They come with flat nocks, helical blazer vanes, brass inserts and 100 grain field tips. As they arrived, they weighed 412 grains (according to my wife’s cooking scale (?she doesn’t cook?)). I’m using 150 grain heads so mine weigh 462 (wanted to beef them up for penetration).

Yeah, I went overboard buying 3 crossbows, a lot of accessories, arrows and broadheads—because it is fun and I have sons. (Won’t get upset if they lose/break things because have a lot of them.). (Seems like I go overboard with everything I do. Having a family, I get enough for everybody.). It’s fun, but I don’t have the expensive stuf like Rv’s, atv’s, boat etc. I can buy a whole lot of crossbow stuff, mountain bikes, whatever at a fraction of the cost of an rv/boat. Heck, I don’t even have a pickup truck.
Matrix Sapphire 325 (forward riser)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #1)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #2)
Ferguson Outfitters

I’m going to try a set. My diablos are usually darn accurate but if I notice a group opening up or a flyer, its usually because of the four scope rail/mount side screws shaking loose.

Thanks
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

Ferguson Outfitters wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:47 pm
I’m going to try a set. My diablos are usually darn accurate but if I notice a group opening up or a flyer, its usually because of the four scope rail/mount side screws shaking loose.

Thanks
Damn those screws! If mine get loose again, I’m going to get lockwashers and RED (yes, I said RED!) locktite. I don’t know how to weld, but I’ve thought of epoxying that scope rail to the trigger. If I ever have to take it apart, I’ll buy a new trigger and ADF (and glue those together too).
Normous

Post by Normous »

Those 4 little bugger scope mount screws and trigger tap holes contain manufacturing lubicant oils for cooling and machining purposes.

I ALWAYS clean and degrease them with every new Excalibur to reduce fastener creep due to vibration.

Never had to use blue loc tite after a good fastener/tap hole cleaning with accetone.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Ferguson Outfitters

I’m gonna put a dab of gorilla glue and spit on the threads so the foam swells up and fills the spaces. Should still come apart with a slow steady force.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

For the best results at the lowest cost in the long run get a arrow squaring tool and make your own bolts,it is time consuming but well worth it in peace of mind and sufficiency.
I use a Harbor freight Minnie cut off tool , an F.A.S.t Arrow squaring tool and a Arizona bolt Fletcher with blazer veins on 2219 aluminum shafts and a heavy fixed blade head I could not be any happier with the results great consistent shot placement from bolt to bolt , no worry's about the broad head performance and I know I will get a 1 1/8th - 4 blade cut . this set up along with my serving jig and serving tool I am set for life and have no need to see a pro shop unless I want to see the latest and greatest
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Mark,

I worked through improving the scope rail to trigger housing along with improving the trigger housing to rail mounting screws awhile back. Take a look and see if it is a modification that you would like to pursue to reduce your headaches with the scope mounting.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59490&p=581169#p581169

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67315&p=654713&sid=e5d00f855c8e673ae2770bb01015a102#p654713
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

shafferm wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:15 pm
Mark,

I worked through improving the scope rail to trigger housing along with improving the trigger housing to rail mounting screws awhile back. Take a look and see if it is a modification that you would like to pursue to reduce your headaches with the scope mounting.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59490&p=581169#p581169

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67315&p=654713&sid=e5d00f855c8e673ae2770bb01015a102#p654713
I definitely like your fix with countersunk screws. That would not move. Maybe after spring bear season.