308 short for Russian Boar

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

308 short for Russian Boar

Post by hunter with MS »

A friend has a young hunter that wants to hunt Russian boar with a 308 short at a game preserve . He is wondering if there is enough power in the 308 ? I think there is . He may also be taking the youngster on a bear hunt with it .
luckymike

Re: 308 short for Russian Boar

Post by luckymike »

Know your distance limits and it shouldn't be a problem.alot of big game been killed with a vixen and they shoot around 280fps.i've killed black bear and elk with a long bow.its all about shot placement and sharp broadheads
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

Know your distance limits and it shouldn't be a problem.alot of big game been killed with a vixen and they shoot around 280fps.i've killed black bear and elk with a long bow.its all about shot placement and sharp broadheads
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

luckymike wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:55 pm
cvouldn't agree more, more x2 :lol:

Dave :eusa-dance:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I limit shots to 30 and under I practice making the shot over and over . So when I make the shot on Game it becomes automatic . That is what we are teaching .
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

We have used our Axiom for feral hogs many times, some up to 250#. With the right broadheads it has worked great.
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I can post pics but Most of my 450lb lone boars were killed with a grizzly even to 70 yards.

Power, so I kill enough to experiment. I tried a head shot on a 400 pounder straight on at 40 yards, the bolt deflected off the skull, went in the clavicle area and was sticking half way out its rear ham. He made it 50 yards.

I’ve shot through both shoulders and arrow snapped when boar fell on what was hanging out.

I typically shoot these boars right at the rear of the shoulder and it passes completely through, they usually walk off and die within 40 yards this way.

On this crossbow setup I use Diablos with 100gr heads, usually the 100gr boltcutter or Custom VPA. My setup clocks constant at 300fps.

Hogs don’t jump string so you can stretch the shot distance out

Last edited by Ferguson Outfitters on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Nice Shot!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Ferguson Outfitters

Its what I do. I got hundreds of nasty pics. I definitely feel a lung type hit passthrough is the way to go as far as not spooking them into a dead run. They just kinda walk or trot off and fall over weezing.

Again, Crossbow ain’t my first natural choice but I have to use it on the federal lands I’m hunting.

Tell that youngster them hogs don’t stand still much so if it even looks like for a second they are gonna bolt and bug out, Shoot!

Tell him not to focus on that perfect heart shot nor necessarily try to slip it in the back end of the lungs just starting out, everything he needs to hit on a hog can be had right slam through the shoulder bone.

I don’t usually shoot little piggies or sows but once in a while I do. On a few occasions I’ve shot two piggies with one bolt.

Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Ferguson Outfitters wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:21 pm
Its what I do. I got hundreds of nasty pics. I definitely feel a lung type hit passthrough is the way to go as far as not spooking them into a dead run. They just kinda walk or trot off and fall over weezing.

Again, Crossbow ain’t my first natural choice but I have to use it on the federal lands I’m hunting.

Tell that youngster them hogs don’t stand still much so if it even looks like for a second they are gonna bolt and bug out, Shoot!

Tell him not to focus on that perfect heart shot nor necessarily try to slip it in the back end of the lungs just starting out, everything he needs to hit on a hog can be had right slam through the shoulder bone.

I don’t usually shoot little piggies or sows but once in a while I do. On a few occasions I’ve shot two piggies with one bolt.

Nice! I paid good money to shoot one hog! Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Ferguson Outfitters

I always said us sportsmen are our own worst enemies. It outta be free.

Maybe after society collapses we can get back to that.
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

My son has an excalibur 308 short banshee. We plan to shoot some Russian boars in late April. We are using ssas 400 grain double tapp arrows. I am a little unsure kn the broadhead. I am considering the innerloc shape shifter
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I love the Sonic and Liberty from American Broadhead. They cut on contact right to the tip, thick razor sharp blades that are replaceable. If you buy a pack of heads and a pack of blades you get 12 shots for around $55. You could reuse or resharpen the blades, we've done that a few times. They zip right through hogs of all sizes.

https://www.americanbroadhead.com/shop
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I used the QAD Exodus 125gr crossbow head on a hog a few weeks ago with my Micro 335. It went through like nothing and stuck in a tree on exit. I couldn't get the broadhead out of the tree because it was hurried in too deep! Everything I shoot with the èxodus goes down quickly.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Are you hunting a true blood Russian Boar or a hog? I've hunted hogs in Texas and parts of Alberta but mostly pure blood Russian Boars from the Culden line. Hogs and Russians may look very similar but are built very differently.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.