Changing bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Changing bolts

Post by XB I GO »

I anticipate getting a Micro but I don't know which one yet. I have the Matrix and my brother has Axiom. Right now we shoot 20" BEZS with 110gr inserts. I was thinking of cutting them to 18" just to make them more user friendly with all the bows. Do I keep the 110gr inserts or go to 92gr? Is there a reason to go to a half, like 18.5" or 17.5"? I would like one set of bolts to use in all the crossbows. Thanks

XB
DuckHunt

Re: Changing bolts

Post by DuckHunt »

I use 92gr inserts in my Micro 335 with 16" BEZS and see great results. I've even found many fixed blade broadheads to fly well with this setup.

When WV made crossbows legal for all, they oddly put a 18" minimum length limit on arrows (not counting nock or broadhead). So my Micro isn't legal here with my normal arrows. I bought a Matrix and have 18" arrows for it that I can also use in my Micro if I like. The only real concern is that the arrow will stick out beyond the stirrup. This is only an issue if you rest the bow on the stirrup while hunting, like in a ground blind. It can also complicate hanging it from the stirrup while in a tree.

Going to a custom length may be a good balance. Just find the shortest length that will work in the Axiom with broadheads. You may be able to go shorter than 18" which will minimize the issue in the Micro.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

As long as your foot can't fit in the stirrup with an arrow loaded, on both bows, the length will work.
Safety first
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
galamb

Post by galamb »

I would still use the 110 grain inserts.

Chopping off 2" would only reduce the arrow by about 18 grains (9.1 gpi).

That is "less effect" than going from a 100 grain to 125 grain head, all else being equal and it would effect the FOC by less than 1% (0.6 by my calculator) with increased momentum and slug force over the lighter insert.

At the very least I would try them first before deciding to swap inserts.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I like 110 insert and even a 125 head on the micro heavy is good on a short bolt.18 is in the stirrup kinda too far in a exo bow in my opinion.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

X bow I go
I really recommend each bow of varying rail length have its own set of bolts and the length with a broad head should reach the back side of the stirrup but not past it , I am ashamed to admit this but one time with an Equinox I went to decock it after hunting and I did not remove the bolt and came way to close to putting a broad head through my foot. :shock:
And in my opinion a broad head extending past the stirup is better than a short bolt but still not a great situation.
Bolts are expensive but I feel each bow has a very small window as the proper length and it should come very close to the back side of the stirup.

Hunt safe young man.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

gerald strine wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:21 am
X bow I go
I really recommend each bow of varying rail length have its own set of bolts and the length with a broad head should reach the back side of the stirrup but not past it , I am ashamed to admit this but one time with an Equinox I went to decock it after hunting and I did not remove the bolt and came way to close to putting a broad head through my foot. :shock:
And in my opinion a broad head extending past the stirup is better than a short bolt but still not a great situation.
Bolts are expensive but I feel each bow has a very small window as the proper length and it should come very close to the back side of the stirup.

Hunt safe young man.
This is extremely stellar advice right here. A friend of mine put an arrow clean through his boot. Right between his toes, how it doesn't remove them, we will never know.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme