FIBERBOARD SHEATHING TARGETS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stepnoutnb

FIBERBOARD SHEATHING TARGETS

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Back in the 80’s (feeling old with those first words) for a couple of years I belonged to an archery club. We used fiberboard sheathing for targets. If I remember correctly the sheathing was cut in about 8 inch by 4 foot. The strips were stacked to make a target/backstop 4 foot by 4 foot. Two threaded rods were placed through drilled holes on both sides. We placed a 2 by 4 on the top and bottom over the threaded rods placing nuts and washers on the rods to compress the whole thing. At that time there was no bow/arrow combination that this backstop wouldn’t stop.
I remember even when these stayed at the outside range and got wet they lasted for maybe a year. Obviously We would hang targets, balloons etc in different locations, not to wear anyone spot too much.
Has anyone else seen/used these? Another question would a loose hanging blanket stop a FIELD POINT from a Micro 355 similar to archery netting? Will archery netting stop a FIELD POINT from the micro 355
Stepnoutnb
paulaboutform

Re: FIBERBOARD SHEATHING TARGETS

Post by paulaboutform »

I still have a donacona target that you've described...but mine is 12" deep, made with steel tubing and runs vertically. I've used these for years but now I only use mine as a safety backstop. I don't recommend building a new one simply because they're such a pain in the backside. You have to lubricate every arrow for every shot into it or there's an 1/8" of target melted to your arrow. They make a horrible mess when they need replacement. I seriously suggest looking at some of the bag targets already mentioned.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

paulaboutform wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:39 pm
I still have a donacona target that you've described...but mine is 12" deep, made with steel tubing and runs vertically. I've used these for years but now I only use mine as a safety backstop. I don't recommend building a new one simply because they're such a pain in the backside. You have to lubricate every arrow for every shot into it or there's an 1/8" of target melted to your arrow. They make a horrible mess when they need replacement. I seriously suggest looking at some of the bag targets already mentioned.

Paul
Not sure we are talking about the same thing. The product we used was mod like compressed cardboard dust with a bit of tar waterproof coating on the outside. A bit of tar would get on the aluminum arrows but wipe off with Garson. Not sure if carbon bolts would be ok. I would be using it mor as a backstop
Quintehunter

Post by Quintehunter »

The targets you're describing are made with tentest. It's a fibreboard type of sheathing that you could buy in natural or black in colour. The black was actually a tar coating on the board and isn't recommennded for using to make targets.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Quintehunter wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:38 pm
The targets you're describing are made with tentest. It's a fibreboard type of sheathing that you could buy in natural or black in colour. The black was actually a tar coating on the board and isn't recommennded for using to make targets.
Yes I agree the tar would sometimes get on our aluminum arrows. We just used paint thinner or Garson to clean the arrows. I would think the tar would ruin carbon arrows/bolts. I don’t know if the make that tented any longer. I was thinking of just using it as a backstop for my bulldog target I ordered, not here yet
janesy

Post by janesy »

They still make tentest. Only people that buy it are the local gun clubs.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

In our archery club we made the backstop as you describe, but laid up strips of carpet and compressed those. Much better I think than the stuff you’re talking about.

But as others have mentioned, disposal is a PITA once it’s reached the end of its useful life.
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

I still think the 'Garbage Can' full of rags has been my best home made archery target. It's been sitting outside for almost 3 years now. If Arrows start getting close to flights in depth, pick Can up swish the Can in a circular motion to redistribute rags. When your done shooting stand it up and put the lid on it. Throw in a box of 'mothballs' during construction to help keep bugs out. Tying the lid to the handles keeps the wind from blowing off lid on the way to Boo Fest. :thumbup:

Recently made a new rifle target, I use tentest as a backing to pin my paper targets to. Approx. 500 rounds at this piece of tentest. A combination of 22lr, 9mm, 357Mag, 44Mag.

Added the gong as an after thought, but I think the shrapnel will cut the legs off. :lol:
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

My target is holding up really well. I shoot almost every day. I put my bag target tightly in a stiff cardboard box and slid welcome mats on each side. I filled the voids with spray foam. I wrapped it with black duct tape and put 2” squares of silver duct tape on all sides for bullseyes. I left the bag target handle sticking out the top. When it gets shot up, I wrap more black duct tape and place more silver squares. When it gets mushy, I shoot more spray foam into the holes and wrap it again. It’s very heavy and solid and I think it is going to last a long time. The duct tape makes my arrows sticky but it’s easy to clean off with “goo gone”.
Matrix Sapphire 325 (forward riser)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #1)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #2)
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Czy_Horse wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:14 am
I still think the 'Garbage Can' full of rags has been my best home made archery target. It's been sitting outside for almost 3 years now. If Arrows start getting close to flights in depth, pick Can up swish the Can in a circular motion to redistribute rags. When your done shooting stand it up and put the lid on it. Throw in a box of 'mothballs' during construction to help keep bugs out. Tying the lid to the handles keeps the wind from blowing off lid on the way to Boo Fest. :thumbup:

Recently made a new rifle target, I use tentest as a backing to pin my paper targets to. Approx. 500 rounds at this piece of tentest. A combination of 22lr, 9mm, 357Mag, 44Mag.

Added the gong as an after thought, but I think the shrapnel will cut the legs off. :lol:
Love the garbage can target!