Confused with the tact zone scope speed dial

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mixter

Confused with the tact zone scope speed dial

Post by Mixter »

Some people are saying it’s the same as magnification one rifle scope which is what it appears to be to me.
So what’s the point of setting it for your speed? And how does it help when the arrow is low or high. The manual said to adjust it up or down...but I don’t see how that affects anything other than magnification.
janesy

Re: Confused with the tact zone scope speed dial

Post by janesy »

Ok, there are two magnification lenses inside your scope, single and secondary place. (Being very general here)

Depending on which lense the manufacturer mounts the reticle inside the scope, either allows the manufacturer to have a retical that "moves" in and out when zoomed in, or one that stays fixed when zoomed in.

So if you have a scope that the reticle moves in and out, like your tactzone it changes the perceived dimension of the retical on your target. Follow me? It gets bigger or smaller against the target as you zoom in or out. Specifically it increases or decreases the spacing between the designated distance marking on the retical(20,30,40,50...and so on).

So don't worry about the number on the dial for now, they are a guideline at best. What you are doing is using a 20 yard bullseye on the crosshairs, then bringing the retical in or out until it corresponds to closely where your arrows are actually landing on target.

Essentially, by setting the proper retical setting, it allows you to use the scope markings to assist you in elevating the bow, in order to extend your distance on target accurately. You need to aim higher at 40 than you do at 20.
Someone who uses the extremely common method will be along shortly to help you set it up. It's quite easy and effective.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Copy & paste the link below for pretty simple speed ring setup.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65689&p=641553&hilit=Speed+ring#p641513
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Mixter

Post by Mixter »

Thanks that made more sense. So essentially inside 20 yards you can just use the magnification at which ever setting.
But if I want to shoot to 40 yards I need to set it at the magnification that it was sighted in at so the hashamrks correspond properly with the distances.
Mixter

Post by Mixter »

Thanks that made more sense. So essentially inside 20 yards you can just use the magnification at which ever setting.
But if I want to shoot to 40 yards I need to set it at the magnification that it was sighted in at so the hashamrks correspond properly with the distances.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Mixter wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:43 pm
So essentially inside 20 yards you can just use the magnification at which ever setting.
Correct. When sighted in at 20 yards, you can set the magnification to wherever you want and it still should be on at 20 yards. But the magnification will need to be set correctly for the other aiming points to line up right for your bow. Also, for very close ranges like 10 yards you may notice the arrow shooting slightly above the crosshairs. If you expect that you may have to take a very close shot, you may want to practice a couple shots at that distance to know where to hold.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

OK yer main xhair is your 20 yd sight in ! Once you get the arrow hitting dead center, you don't touch the elevation again. Now you can set yer speed ring to the speed you think your crossbow shoots. the hash mark below the main xhair is yer sight put it on the dot at 30 n shoot. If'en it hits high yer speed ring is fast n need to drop it down abit.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

vixenmaster wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:49 am
OK yer main xhair is your 20 yd sight in ! Once you get the arrow hitting dead center, you don't touch the elevation again. Now you can set yer speed ring to the speed you think your crossbow shoots. the hash mark below the main xhair is yer sight put it on the dot at 30 n shoot. If'en it hits high yer speed ring is fast n need to drop it down abit.
X2 what Vixenmaster said he has sighted in a a few bows in his day.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.