Learned a little about inserts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Learned a little about inserts

Post by XB I GO »

My BEZS's came with 110 grain inserts. It was frustrating when 2 of them came out when the bolt hit a target. Both times the tip stopped and the bolt came back towards me. I had been looking for some 110 grain inserts to replace them. After a long time I finally went to our archery shop and asked them. First they looked at the insert that came with the bolt and said they did not care for the shallow grooves on the shaft. They did some homework and when we went back they had 110 grain brass inserts from G5. The guy said he thought the grooves were deeper and the angle was more so it should hold glue better. He weighed them and they were all right. He used a light on a fiber optic thing to look in the BEZS shaft. The showed me there was glue mostly on one side of the inside shaft. Then he pushed one of the inserts in and it was really hard to go in. The other one almost dropped in. Using a little wire brush he cleaned the inside of the shaft with acetone until it looked clean and both shafts let the insert go in with the same force. Then he showed me how to put the glue on the insert in a spiral. When you twist it into the shaft following the spiral the glue bunches up and fills all the way around the insert. It goops up on the front and has to be wiped off and cleaned. When we were done shooting he said they were dry and did a "spin test" and they both looked good. Then to make a point he put a tip in a vice and screwed the bolt onto it. I could not pull the insert out. The thing I learned was that you don't just slap glue on the insert and shove it in the shaft. If you want to do it right you have to do a lot of little things. This cost me $4.36!
Normous

Re: Learned a little about inserts

Post by Normous »

A little knurling the brass insert between two bastard files might be your next step.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

$4.36 is a fairly cheap education, B. Learning is what makes life fun and interesting.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Normous wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:15 am
A little knurling the brass insert between two bastard files might be your next step.
Norm, when you knurl something on a lathe, it increases diameter slightly. Does the “ manual knurl” between the files do this? How is fit afterward?
Normous

Post by Normous »

I find very little expansion manually but found a slight tighter fittment on some due to the softer nature (creep) of brass under pressure.

After a manual knurl, I corect sizing (if needed) with a light emory cloth touch up, then re clean with accetone .

Lastly , I retest fitment, then glue.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Your issue was more likely that the assembler did not use enough glue. When you install an insert you should push and turn. But, more importantly, if you do not see a bead of glue proceeding the leading edge of the shaft, you do not have enough glue and it will not fill the voids in the insert.
Norms suggestion of knurling the inserts works well. The key is to not bear down on the files too much, all you want is a rough surface. Knurling gives the insert phenomenal adhesion to the shaft, assuming the surfaces have been prepared correctly.
Some people just like stepping on rakes