Elk antler question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hankenhunter

Elk antler question

Post by hankenhunter »

Hey all, I was given an old elk rack that was nailed to a barn for twenty some years. White and crusty they were. Anyhoo, the barn was coming down and they were gifted to me to use for antler carving. My question is, is it normal for the interior of elk antlers to be pink? I mean a salmon rose pink and very obvious. I searched the internet and no hits on pink elk antlers. Is it possible the color came from a mineral lick for cattle? An inquiring carver would like to know. Thanks,
Hank
vixenmaster

Re: Elk antler question

Post by vixenmaster »

I am not sure Hank, but we knowed the blood feeds up as they grow. I would assume some drys inside the antler
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

vixenmaster wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:52 pm
I am not sure Hank, but we knowed the blood feeds up as they grow. I would assume some drys inside the antler
It's not blood Mike. It goes about 1/8" into the antler. With the porous nature of antlers, the blood would have oxidized into a gross brown color. I have never seen this before and I've gone through a fair amount of elk antlers making jewelry over the years. The elk was killed in early winter just before they were shed, so blood is out.
Hank
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Is it possible the rack might have been stained/painted in the course of its 20yr s on the barn- some times white /chalk antlers are stained to get them to look more natural. which is absorbed into the bone

Can you post a picture of the rack ?