Removing the "wraps"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Removing the "wraps"

Post by XB I GO »

This started with my vertical bow and then I noticed it on my Excalibur. On my vertical bow I have a drop-away rest that has like soft skin stuck on it. The soft skin was wearing off where the arrow sits. The accuracy was so-so. I noticed the Gold Tip arrows were getting little streaks on the "label" that is kind of wrapped on the shaft. Then I noticed a few of my BEZS bolts had a little streak on the label too. I decided to take the wraps off to see if it made a difference. First I went to Wal Mart and in the paint section the smallest jar of acetone is $7.94. Our neighbor works there and when I asked for something cheaper he said "go to the nail polish section and get 100% acetone nail polish remover". Great deal - 98 cents! Then I took a paper towel and put the acetone on it and rubbed until all the label came off the arrows and bolts and it felt smooth. One little bottle did 12 arrows and 6 bolts but took almost the whole bottle. I put new soft skin on the arrow rest of the vertical bow and shot that first. The soft skin looks fine and the groups are a little better. I shot through the chronograph and the average says I gained 3-fps? Then I shot the Excalibur, this time using the M380. The groups were as good as ever and the chronograph says 1.7 fps faster average which I don't think is really measurable. The labels were definitely grabbing on the arrow rest of the vertical bow and damaging the soft skin and streaking the label on the shaft. For the Excalibur I can't really tell the difference. There was a streak on some of the labels and they were not from the Axiom, they showed up when I started shooting the bolts through the Matrix. Since there's no label on the shaft and no streak or anything left on the crossbow I can't tell if there is a difference. Either way, it didn't hurt anything and its one potential problem out of the way.
Hi5

Re: Removing the "wraps"

Post by Hi5 »

I'll bet pulling arrows out of the target didn't get any harder to do with the decals off.....
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I don't have wraps on my compound arrows and I still get damage to the felt on the drop away rest I just cut the sticky part of a bandaid off and use it to replace the felt once it is too bad to shoot without noise from the rest .
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Just a thought but thru my extensive experience with drop away rests my concern would be why is the rest not getting out of the way fast enough. There should be minimal wear on the felt or shrink tubing when set up and working correctly. :think:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Bcxbow wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:33 am
Just a thought but thru my extensive experience with drop away rests my concern would be why is the rest not getting out of the way fast enough. There should be minimal wear on the felt or shrink tubing when set up and working correctly. :think:
for me i have very little experience with drop aways as this is my first one i don't like lots of moving parts but the guy who set it up is a competition shooter and he also told me about the band aid trick .