Spring Turkey 2019

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Doe Master
Site Admin

Spring Turkey 2019

Post by Doe Master »

This year was going to be different . I went down to my Brothers place to spend the week .
I wanted to maybe continue the good luck and get my nephew a turkey this year . So I had him carrying his grandfathers 12 gauge turkey gun and I his 16 gauge single shot Cooey . During the week we had a few opportunities but just not close enough . Rhonda his mother had the best chance the one morning . She had a gobbler yodel close by and come down on the trail . But just behind some junk on a bend . Supposedly he danced for his girlfriends for about 45 minutes then turned and walked out of Rhonda`s day .
It seemed to rain at least once a day and two of the days were complete washouts . But we did have fun and a few drinks were consumed as well as good meals .
So come the Monday of the second week I was flying solo . My plan was to wait until he gobbled and try to get close quietly before he flew down with his girlfriends . I ended up hustling to within I felt 100 yards and waited . I figured every professional caller had called to this bird before the season .
At about 5:45 a hen flew down past me . So I gave a fly down of my own with a wing . He went silent !!! About 5 minutes later he flew down to about 25-30 yards from me on the trail . :D
He ended up flipping into the water puddle .
I ended up just sitting there for about an hour admiring the sunrise . :)
When I got home where the tripod was I took another picture or two . He ended up weighing 20 pounds with 1.0 inch spurs and 9 inch beard .
The next morning decided to go to another bush I had not hunted yet this season .
I got to hear birds gobbling but not where I was .
So the next morning I got up extra early to go past them in the dark . Walking on all those broken twigs is like walking on broken crystal . So my walk had to be slow and quiet . But I did get in without busting anything and was greeted to a chorus when it started to get light .
When I thought it was about right I used the wing again then gave a few soft clucks and purrs . Then went silent on them .
When they did come down it must have worked because they started making their way slowly to me . The one when he hit the ground immediately went into his Black Volkswagon with the doors open impression . When he hit a opening with no others around him I gave a cluck , nothing , he stayed in strut, gave a louder cluck, still nothing , finally a series of loud clucks . All he did was turn giving me a front view of the Volkswagon . So I shot him in strut .
He had good spurs . :)
Like a couple days before I sat and admired the view . :D
When I got back to the truck I took a few pictures with the tripod .
As we all know when carrying a bird out they seem to gain about a pound per 100 yards walked . So he seemed heavy by the time I got to the vehicle . When I got home I weighed and videoed so naysayers couldn`t say I was lying . The bird weighed 25 pounds 7 ounces . :shock:
On a side note just like another person on here I was wearing my lucky shirt . When I wear it turkeys should just give up . :lol:
Downloaded the video to youtube .
https://youtu.be/MeO8vvIjGUk
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
mr meat

Re: Spring Turkey 2019

Post by mr meat »

Sounds like a great hunt Kevin congrats on the two birds!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Congrats ,Kevin! Thanks for taking us along
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

Awesome job sounds like a quick but fun season!
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Love the post love story love the pictures! Here in New Brunswick we have Turkeys crossing the boarder from the state of Maine. I hope I live long enough to be able to hunt turkey. I have 2 sisters in Orillia Ontario. Would there be Turkey hunting outfitters in that area?
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Nice Turkey congrats
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I assume there is people up around Orillia who guide for there is a good population by Midland .
janesy

Post by janesy »

Stepnoutnb wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:08 pm
Love the post love story love the pictures! Here in New Brunswick we have Turkeys crossing the boarder from the state of Maine. I hope I live long enough to be able to hunt turkey. I have 2 sisters in Orillia Ontario. Would there be Turkey hunting outfitters in that area?
For sure there will be someone. From the north GTA to Orillia area and surrounding, the turkey population has exploded! They are everywhere.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Thanks for posting. Love the family photo.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Very cool hunting story!! Thanks for telling it to us... :clap:
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

janesy wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:53 am
Stepnoutnb wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:08 pm
For sure there will be someone. From the north GTA to Orillia area and surrounding, the turkey population has exploded! They are everywhere.
Wow, just checked on line, Zones 76-78 all around lake Simcoe are open for Turkeys. Called my Baby sister She says they see allot of Turkey in the area. Might have to look into the 2020 spring season.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Doe Master wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:49 am
I assume there is people up around Orillia who guide for there is a good population by Midland .
Thanks
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Wow, just checked on line, Zones 76-78 all around lake Simcoe are open for Turkeys. Called my Baby sister She says they see allot of Turkey in the area. Might have to look into the 2020 spring season.
Once you have spring turkey hunted and have a bird come in gobbling . You are hooked !!! :D
Twignstring

Post by Twignstring »

Cool story.
Thanks for sharing.