Take care of your string, it's easy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Timbrhuntr

Re: Take care of your string, it's easy

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I was leaving my hunting spot on friday as I got up I stepped on the left side of the bow limb and pushed down into the mud lol Now I got to take it off and clean and rewax it. As far as serving on the factory strings I barely get past a shooting session without having to replace a worn serving . I put a good serving on and then I'm good to go !
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

On the old longer exo series that l love the strings....even the factory ones last forever. The heavy poundage micros eat strings and servings like a snack. It's just what your gonna get with a severe string angle and more pounds on a limb. It's all a tradeoff.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Boo wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:50 am
A bit of info on string care. The first picture is what happens when you carry your bow on your shoulder. The fraying on this string is pretty bad and it didn't see much wax if at all. The second picture is what happens when you do not keep your eye on serving wear. The latch chewed through the serving and started to dig into the string itself.

Hello Boo, I’ve been going through your web site as suggested in this forum. A great site. I’ve had my Micro 355 under 2 months now. As you suggest on your site a Newbie (my words) should use the factory strings for sometime hopefully warding off a dry fire situation/lack of experience. Great advice. My bow came with a spare factory string, maybe they all do? You also suggest using softer wax. I used a product called Sno seal for years on my boots. It is Beeswax and silicone. Is this the type of product you are suggesting for string care? I thought I read about silicone on the site but can’t find it I must be mixed up.
There is also another product called Snow Guard, made in Canada that claims to be beeswax. Would this work?
I have been using the Excalibur wax in the white stick applicator.
What are your thought?
Thanks
Wayne
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:04 pm
On the old longer exo series that l love the strings....even the factory ones last forever. The heavy poundage micros eat strings and servings like a snack. It's just what your gonna get with a severe string angle and more pounds on a limb. It's all a tradeoff.
My exomax is the same serving barely lasts a couple shooting sessions until I replace it with a good solid serving material then it will usually last the season.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Stepnoutnb wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:35 pm
[Hello Boo, I’ve been going through your web site as suggested in this forum. A great site. I’ve had my Micro 355 under 2 months now. As you suggest on your site a Newbie (my words) should use the factory strings for sometime hopefully warding off a dry fire situation/lack of experience. Great advice. My bow came with a spare factory string, maybe they all do? You also suggest using softer wax. I used a product called Sno seal for years on my boots. It is Beeswax and silicone. Is this the type of product you are suggesting for string care? I thought I read about silicone on the site but can’t find it I must be mixed up.
There is also another product called Snow Guard, made in Canada that claims to be beeswax. Would this work?
I have been using the Excalibur wax in the white stick applicator.
What are your thought?
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne, silicone and or wax is good. It has to be soft enough to penetrate the string material. Sno Seal might be a good choice and certainly not a bad choice. Sno Seal isn't as slick as I think it should be. If I couldn't read labels, I'd swear it's base is Vasoline. I have not seen the newer Excalibur string lube but I'm told by Kevin that it is much improved. I really don't think that the high tech lube as well as silicone are as necessary as manufacturers make it out to be. I think silicone and the high tech stuff is only an aid when the string has an abusive relationship with it's owner. A low tech lube like Excalibur's is just fine if you pay a bit of attention to that important part of your bow called a string. :wtf:
Some people just like stepping on rakes